Anyone age this P Cav?

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all, so I've finally (I think) narrowed down the sex of Tenacious, I believe he is an immature male (his genital operculum is oval shaped) but he does not have the dent in his claws nor the pronounced tooth on his movable chela. I was wondering if someone could tell me if they think he has one molt left? That is what I am assuming... seems they're sort of a tricky species, hehe. Thanks

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unless you know its birth date already, it's impossible to tell.
You can't determine a scorpions "age" by date of birth, it goes by molts, and molting can go much faster or much slower depending on temps, food, etc. 2 scorpions from the same brood can be in very different stages of their life within a year or three.

I'll leave the OPs question to someone more familiar with pandinus sp. going on size it does appear it would have one more molt left, a little on the small side (4"?).

electrophyste

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i have a male Pandinus cavimanus, his claws are totally different. mine are smooth, and the indentation is prominent i belive mine to be fifth, and hes about an inch if not more larger
so i would say yours has another molt to go

Last edited:

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome, did you have him always as adult? Or did you see him molt from teen to adult? And awesome P. Cav by the way! Can't wait for Tenacious to be... well... more menacing, hehe.

electrophyste

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome, did you have him always as adult? Or did you see him molt from teen to adult? And awesome P. Cav by the way! Can't wait for Tenacious to be... well... more menacing, hehe.

Why yes, yes i did. i think i still have it lying around in a jar actually. i kept it beccause it was my first molt.

oh and judging by his attitude i think he might have been wild caught... hes a dink and a half man lol:D

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome, if all is as planned this will be mine! Kudos on that. Do you think mine looks like yours did at the same instar?

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ahh... I think he has a very very slight dent... the light reflects differently in the area... welp, here's hoping, hehe.

electrophyste

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i also have had an imaturre female. well i presume was female and she had the same claw structure as yours.. with the bumps

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wish Tenacious could tell me what it is, hehe, I keep getting signs pointing in both directions... claws & size = full grown female maybe whereas genital operculum & size = immature male...

Ugh... please... one molt... I just want it a little larger, even if a lady.

electrophyste

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i hope its a male for you but mines a male and hes a dick but my other was super docile aand easily handlable with no problems

electrophyste

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yah but he was also an Emp too right. im not sure about houseing the two together to begin with red claws are naturally more aggressive than Emps from what ive read hear in these forums so it no wounder the less aggressive of the two got eaten

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thaedion has a video I believe that shows that housing even two P. cavimanus together is not always a good idea.

And I have pictures to show the same thing. Had two of them housed together, larger one ate the smaller one.

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, definitely happens. I just had the notion of him having a friend, he had the notion of himself having a snack... a very expensive snack.

electrophyste

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yah id say so. a little pricy if you wanted to spend a little bit of money on there food you shoulda just bought a green anole(little lizard);) :razz: :razz: {D lol