Anybody make their own heated cabinet?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Curious to see if anyone has made their own heated cabinet as I'm planning to very soon for my arachnids and insects. If you have, do you might posting some photos, the specs, what you used to make it, and overall cost? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Curious to see if anyone has made their own heated cabinet as I'm planning to very soon for my arachnids and insects. If you have, do you might posting some photos, the specs, what you used to make it, and overall cost? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
People have done this, just never saved their links. I hope some chime in. Definitely search google as it indexes this forum. I've seen quite a few examples of this over the years, w/pics. Also, if you haven't already done so, I suggest tapping into the herp forums as their are many more of those folks doing it than T hobbyists.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
People have done this, just never saved their links. I hope some chime in. Definitely search google as it indexes this forum. I've seen quite a few examples of this over the years, w/pics. Also, if you haven't already done so, I suggest tapping into the herp forums as their are many more of those folks doing it than T hobbyists.
Thanks for the reply! I have searched a bit and haven't been able to find step by step directions or photos laying out what they did very clearly (since I'm not a very good handyman). But I did branch out to a reptile forum and a DIY forum to hopefully get some help.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply! I have searched a bit and haven't been able to find step by step directions or photos laying out what they did very clearly (since I'm not a very good handyman). But I did branch out to a reptile forum and a DIY forum to hopefully get some help.
A build thread is pretty rare unfortunately. Most people show the final product, or don't provide enough detail for me at least hah.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
A build thread is pretty rare unfortunately. Most people show the final product, or don't provide enough detail for me at least hah.
Haha that's true.

Now here's a question, don't shoot me please lol, but I do know lamps are a big NO due to the safety for the T itself. But I was just wondering, if I place the bulbs 4 inches or so above each 'shelf' in the cabinet just to add infrared heat (without having a Ts enclosure right underneath it), is that bad as well? I'll keep thermometers on each shelf to check the temp., but was just wondering if this would be okay? Trying to avoid having to use heat tape and buying an expensive thermometer haha

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Or would it be better to have on the top rack, my scorpions with a infrared heat bulb over them and then on the second shelf the Ts (without a heat bulb) and repeat like that?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Now here's a question, don't shoot me please lol, but I do know lamps are a big NO due to the safety for the T itself. But I was just wondering, if I place the bulbs 4 inches or so above each 'shelf' in the cabinet just to add heat (without having a Ts enclosure right underneath it), is that bad as well? I'll keep thermometers on each shelf to check the temp., but was just wondering if this would be okay? Trying to avoid having to use heat tape and buying an expensive thermometer haha
What wattage and what kind of light? Incandescent? Flourescent? Carbon arc? LASER?
To get real for a brief moment. For incandescent bulbs, the rough figure is 18% light to 82% heat per watt. So a 100 watt bulb is an 82 watt heater. How much is radiant, and how much is convective varies somewhat depending on the bulb. Doing surface and ambient air temperature testing is the only sure fire method to calculate accurately.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Search for micro climate you will find some via Google. Tarantula micro climate. As for the heat put the scorpions on the bottom with their lights as heat rises you may want to put a glass of water or something in the cabinet just because lights tend to dry out the air

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
I had an idea for when I do one of using an aquarium heater in a big jar a large one for like a 100-150 gallon tank keep the jar filled with water it will disperse even heat and not dry out the air . Just needs a thermastat ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha that's true.

Now here's a question, don't shoot me please lol, but I do know lamps are a big NO due to the safety for the T itself. But I was just wondering, if I place the bulbs 4 inches or so above each 'shelf' in the cabinet just to add infrared heat (without having a Ts enclosure right underneath it), is that bad as well? I'll keep thermometers on each shelf to check the temp., but was just wondering if this would be okay? Trying to avoid having to use heat tape and buying an expensive thermometer haha
Your best bet is a space heater. However, I've seen only heat tape used for cabinets with thermostats. Honestly, using only a thermometer is a recipe for cooking your Ts and a fire.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What wattage and what kind of light? Incandescent? Flourescent? Carbon arc? LASER?
2-petawatt laser. Should produce enough heat for a small cabinet, right? jk. I was looking at a 100 Watt 'Exo Terra Heat-Glo Infrared Spot Lamp' https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AR3QW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Search for micro climate you will find some via Google. Tarantula micro climate. As for the heat put the scorpions on the bottom with their lights as heat rises you may want to put a glass of water or something in the cabinet just because lights tend to dry out the air
Will do that! Think this would be able to properly heat my scorps and add some heat for my tarantulas w/o baking them?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Your best bet is a space heater. However, I've seen only heat tape used for cabinets with thermostats. Honestly, using only a thermometer is a recipe for cooking your Ts and a fire.
Tried using a space heater way back when I was new in the hobby and it dried out my entire room (which is also my T room) and gave me sore throats every night...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Oh and if I go via the heat tape route, I'll def. get a good thermostat (Herpstat 1 or better). Just was wondering if using a infrared light for my scorps on the bottom of the enclosure will be able to add a bit heat for the Ts haha

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just a word of warning regarding infrared heat sources. With all the cheap crap knock off and copies flying around today, for the love of your animals buy a source from a well established reputable company that provides a data sheet with the product. The wrong or unregulated IR can fry before it warms anything.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
2-petawatt laser. Should produce enough heat for a small cabinet, right? jk. I was looking at a 100 Watt 'Exo Terra Heat-Glo Infrared Spot Lamp' https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AR3QW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will do that! Think this would be able to properly heat my scorps and add some heat for my tarantulas w/o baking them?
100 watt is a bit much I use 25 watt cabinet lights on my scorps and they are all fine. Get hotter then he'll still but in an enclosed space you need a thermastat so that the cabinet does not get about 80 or so put the probe in the middle this way your scorps can be a bit warmer.
Tried using a space heater way back when I was new in the hobby and it dried out my entire room (which is also my T room) and gave me sore throats every night...
your using the wrong kind then. Sounds like the kind that blow hot air and look like a toaster infrared maybe? You need an oil filled radiator style plug in won't dry out the room nice even heat they make all kinds of sizes :)

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Alot of these are built in Tupperware or similar size containers same idea just think bigger

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Just a word of warning regarding infrared heat sources. With all the cheap crap knock off and copies flying around today, for the love of your animals buy a source from a well established reputable company that provides a data sheet with the product. The wrong or unregulated IR can fry before it warms anything.
Do you recommend a company by any chance? Thought that Exo-Terra was pretty well known and is well liked in the reptile hobby.

100 watt is a bit much I use 25 watt cabinet lights on my scorps and they are all fine. Get hotter then he'll still but in an enclosed space you need a thermastat so that the cabinet does not get about 80 or so put the probe in the middle this way your scorps can be a bit warmer.

your using the wrong kind then. Sounds like the kind that blow hot air and look like a toaster infrared maybe? You need an oil filled radiator style plug in won't dry out the room nice even heat they make all kinds of sizes :)
So a thermostat will regulate the amount of heat emitted from the bulb?

You are correct! It was haha. I'm just worried if I buy one it'll make my power bill go through the roof since I'll have it running most of the year. Will an oil filled radiator be fine for scorps as well if it stays 80 or do they still need a hotspot?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Alot of these are built in Tupperware or similar size containers same idea just think bigger
I was actually thinking about doing that! Minus the substrate in the aquarium as I was going to let the water bowls (as well as the moist sub) in the Ts enclosures do the job. But now that I'm keeping roaches, I'd like to have something that would heat a larger area. Kind of hesitant about an oil heater since I'm worried it'll knock over and start a fire though, I'm a bit paranoid haha

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Do you recommend a company by any chance? Thought that Exo-Terra was pretty well known and is well liked in the reptile hobby.

So a thermostat will regulate the amount of heat emitted from the bulb?

You are correct! It was haha. I'm just worried if I buy one it'll make my power bill go through the roof since I'll have it running most of the year. Will an oil filled radiator be fine for scorps as well if it stays 80 or do they still need a hotspot?
Exo terra is a good brand but 100 ways is a lot I have 5 dessert scorpion all are doing well with the 25 watt halogen under cabinet lights you can buy a 5 pack from lowes for $30. The radiator style heater won't kill your electric bill because unlike the style you had that has to constantly blow hot air one these reach temp they can shut off and regulate since they won't lose heat right away. Depending on the thermastat some will regulate and dim the bulb others will turn them on and off as needed:) found another better vid for you

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
I was actually thinking about doing that! Minus the substrate in the aquarium as I was going to let the water bowls (as well as the moist sub) in the Ts enclosures do the job. But now that I'm keeping roaches, I'd like to have something that would heat a larger area. Kind of hesitant about an oil heater since I'm worried it'll knock over and start a fire though, I'm a bit paranoid haha
All my slings are in something similar with paper towels on the bottom I occasionally mist the yield and they stay damp for the week I use a Rubbermaid though. I call it my sling humidor it works well. The oil filled heated should never get hot enough to start a fire ;)