anybody else have green anoles?

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if your green anole changes it's colour to brown does that mean it's not happy?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It can also mean it's cold, or showing submission towards a dominant anole, or isn't feeling well. When anoles are in pain, after say, being bitten by another anole, I've noticed that they develope blackish spots right behind their eyes, so this is something to look for if you ever suspect an one might be hurt.

pitbulllady

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there's no black spots, but I've also heard when there brown that means that they absorbed a lot of heat(like from a lamp) is that true?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Whenever I've seen this, it's because it has soiled itself staring at the fangs of a 10" S. subspinipes. {D

Seriously though, a lot of herps get darker in response to stressful stimuli...

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is he standing on or near something brown? I've also known them to do this to "hide"/camouflage themselves.

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no, actually it's sitting on a plant I have in her tank

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A green plant? Hmmm...if she's not sitting on a brown stem of the plant or something, then it's probably some kind of stress like the others said... :? Are there other anoles w/her? Is she newly-caught? Is there a cat or other pet that might have been harassing her from outside the cage?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
be aware there are other sp. of anoles that are a brown color

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there are none other anoles with her but next week I'm putting another one with her but aside from that I just got her today and she was green at one point then when I put her in her tank she went brown. But now at the looks of it she's turning back to green. thanks for the help!

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
My experience with green anoles is that when they are brown, they are warm and comfortable. Shine a light on them at night and they should be a lime green while sleeping!

JeffG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:
Whenever I've seen this, it's because it has soiled itself staring at the fangs of a 10" S. subspinipes. {D

Seriously though, a lot of herps get darker in response to stressful stimuli...
LMFAO jeez...Thats great.

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those little boogers are all over the place here. They're so funny to watch but they bolt as soon asthey detect a human's presence. :)