Any updates on typhochlaena seladonia breeding in US?

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
As title reads any news would be great. One T I would love to add to the collection. In my twenty plus years of keeping/breeding T's this has really become an obsession species for me and my wife. Should have jumped on them as soon as they hit but was leary.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
You need to wait for males to mature and hopefully people that have pairs have some breeding experience. I at least know @Austin S. and @Philth are two in the US I see have them that have experience. All the others I see with them seem to be hobbyist with money. Which is not necessarily a bad thing if they send males out when they mature. My .02. -Chad

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
As title reads any news would be great. One T I would love to add to the collection. In my twenty plus years of keeping/breeding T's this has really become an obsession species for me and my wife. Should have jumped on them as soon as they hit but was leary.
Feel free to PM me with any questions Gaherp.

You need to wait for males to mature and hopefully people that have pairs have some breeding experience. I at least know @Austin S. and @Philth are two in the US I see have them that have experience. All the others I see with them seem to be hobbyist with money. Which is not necessarily a bad thing if they send males out when they mature. My .02. -Chad
A simple search on the boards here will tell you who had them brought in, for sale, and perhaps experience on them....just my .02 and good to see you around here Chad as it's been a few.

Last edited:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tom and I both have at least one. He may have more, I am not sure, nor do I know the sex of his, or mine yet. Next molt, I should know the sex.

Garred Martin, for Palp Friction, brought in many. When the time comes, I myself, and I'm sure Tom too, will put together what we have, as a large breeding project.
I know Garred has a mature female, and a penultimate male.
Those two specimens will be the first to breed in the US.

The smaller specimens i.e; mine, Toms, and the remaining ones in Martins collection, will be mature sometime next year.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
Brown box them from Europe or forget about it unless your car is a $180,000 German sedan.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is a perfect example of what I call the 'fashion Theraphosidae'. Sometimes the 'fashion Theraphosidae' jumps out from the box, reaching with eight - priced - legs, the hobby :)

P.metallica, M.balfouri, and before H.lividum that today is C.lividus, then H.pulchripes (basically almost easy to breed like a 'vulgar' and cheap 'OBT' but Pssht!) etc

I remember well, anyway, in Europe the rapture for the "blue T's", once. Now the last 'Swag' is to overpay a even more little 'Avic'? Madness, by Jove :pompous:

Joking aside, I think that there's certain overestimated hyped T's.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Most of my offspring end up as trades or wholesale only. I have seen folks use rarity, color, and other factors to skyrocket prices only to see said animal market crash once enough generations are filtered to buyers. I have no doubt they will go for a high price, but without more knowledge on life expectancy on top of other factors was the driving factor behind my personal reluctance in buying a group to begin with.

Now brownboxing them from Europe is just about as ignorant of a plan as I have heard of. This next to sneaky shipments including venomous snakes through overnight non airport services is the reason we are slowly losing the right to keep or breed many animals. One of these days it will be a good enough valued animal and sensational situation to put that final nail in the coffin.

Years ago I had a man offer a pair of gilas for a group of baby yellow ackies which is a species i would love to keep, but as soon as he brought up his intent to ship them via FedEx overnight I dropped that deal fast. Many would not think twice about doing something shady to get ahead of the game but tick the DNR enough they could easily make an example of your status/ego booster.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Most of my offspring end up as trades or wholesale only. I have seen folks use rarity, color, and other factors to skyrocket prices only to see said animal market crash once enough generations are filtered to buyers. I have no doubt they will go for a high price, but without more knowledge on life expectancy on top of other factors was the driving factor behind my personal reluctance in buying a group to begin with.

Now brownboxing them from Europe is just about as ignorant of a plan as I have heard of. This next to sneaky shipments including venomous snakes through overnight non airport services is the reason we are slowly losing the right to keep or breed many animals. One of these days it will be a good enough valued animal and sensational situation to put that final nail in the coffin.

Years ago I had a man offer a pair of gilas for a group of baby yellow ackies which is a species i would love to keep, but as soon as he brought up his intent to ship them via FedEx overnight I dropped that deal fast. Many would not think twice about doing something shady to get ahead of the game but tick the DNR enough they could easily make an example of your status/ego booster.
Interesting story. I agree completely. Don't mind Singapore he's not what you would call a deep thinker.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Feel free to point out the US tarantula dealers who aren't in it for the money.
There are some very dedicated dealers who have been involved with herps and or Ts for decades, long before it was a niche hobby. There's one dealer I know that only sells them to support his hobby of collecting.