Any new care info for Catumiri argentinense?

LostInExotics

Arachnosquire
So I got a super tiny C. argentinense sling as a freebie and I didn't see much info on it. I read a post about it on here but was wondering if there are any new information?

How fast do they grow?
What's the max size? (I heard they are dwarf species and max out at 2.5")
Should I treat it like an N. incei in terms of husbandry?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hey there, I'm the one that got a C. argentinense a couple years ago from that thread above.

Extremely slow growing. In the two years I had her, she molted twice and never put on any size. She died when she was about 0.5" DLS. I have a lot of trouble believing they reach 2.5" as the reports I've seen claiming that size also show some kind of Euathlus species. For husbandry, they won't web at all. Basically keep it like a tiny A. seemanni - they do not like it dry and will excavate quite a bit. In fact, I'm fairly certain mine died due to dehydration even with semi-moist substrate. If I were to go back, I'd keep her much more humid.

LostInExotics

Arachnosquire
Hey there, I'm the one that got a C. argentinense a couple years ago from that thread above.

Extremely slow growing. In the two years I had her, she molted twice and never put on any size. She died when she was about 0.5" DLS. I have a lot of trouble believing they reach 2.5" as the reports I've seen claiming that size also show some kind of Euathlus species. For husbandry, they won't web at all. Basically keep it like a tiny A. seemanni - they do not like it dry and will excavate quite a bit. In fact, I'm fairly certain mine died due to dehydration even with semi-moist substrate. If I were to go back, I'd keep her much more humid.
Oh boy.. mine is a super tiny one, a lot smaller than a dime. I keep it in a vial, so should I mist water in the enclosure everyday?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh boy.. mine is a super tiny one, a lot smaller than a dime. I keep it in a vial, so should I mist water in the enclosure everyday?
As with any sling needing high humidity, ensure that it has plenty of ventilation. A stuffy enclosure will kill it quicker than a dry one will. Mine never actually burrowed, so a vial wouldn't have been ideal. But I only kept one, and it was larger than what you have now.

Also, I live in the desert. My humidity requirements are entirely different than yours. Since you live in Vancouver, I believe you have much higher humidity? Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, you can water much less often.

LostInExotics

Arachnosquire
As with any sling needing high humidity, ensure that it has plenty of ventilation. A stuffy enclosure will kill it quicker than a dry one will. Mine never actually burrowed, so a vial wouldn't have been ideal. But I only kept one, and it was larger than what you have now.

Also, I live in the desert. My humidity requirements are entirely different than yours. Since you live in Vancouver, I believe you have much higher humidity? Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, you can water much less often.
Okay thank you! I put it in a vial because the 2oz condiments I housed them in prior I think have big vent holes relative to their size. I will poke more holes on the lid.

Our humidity isn't as high as eastern canada but yes right now it's 81% humidity according to the weather network. In my room however is around 55-60%.

LostInExotics

Arachnosquire
Ah, running a heater, eh? ;) Then yes, be sure it doesn't dry out too much.
Sort of.. My gaming computer pretty much heats up my room :D It’s pretty impressive, my room stays at around 75-80 degrees f. I guess that’s good for the Ts’ metabolism :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sort of.. My gaming computer pretty much heats up my room :D It’s pretty impressive, my room stays at around 75-80 degrees f. I guess that’s good for the Ts’ metabolism :)
Hey, my avatar is a picture of my computer. I hear you. The message is that you should keep him fairly moist relative to what others may say.

LostInExotics

Arachnosquire
i wish mine did...oh wait im on console
Haha nothing wrong with console ;)

Hey, my avatar is a picture of my computer. I hear you. The message is that you should keep him fairly moist relative to what others may say.
Now that you've mentioned it, it makes a lot more sense. Alright thank you! Hopefully I can grow this little one to maturity.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I'd keep her much more humid.
As with any sling needing high humidity

My humidity requirements are entirely different than yours.
Our humidity isn't as high as eastern canada but yes right now it's 81% humidity according to the weather network. In my room however is around 55-60%.
All this talk about humidity is pretty misleading, dont worry about ambient humidity numbers, ever...its as simple as keeping the sub moist. For a sling of this species you want it slightly moist, too much moisture in a small vial can dispel disaster. Good ventilation is super important as well.

I know an experienced breeder who has kept these in multiples, he told me they are not that moisture dependent...and actually fairly hardy.

Good luck, and try to take that humidity advice with a grain of salt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
All this talk about humidity is pretty misleading, dont worry about ambient humidity numbers, ever
Moisture, humidity, wet substrate, whatever you want to call it. That is absolutely part of this hobby. Following numbers is not helpful, correct, but no one even uttered the word hydrometer. The only numbers that were brought up at all were in relation to relative humidity, which absolutely does matter. Lower humidity means the substrate will dry out quicker. This is especially true during the winter when we're all using space heaters which dry out the air even more.

I live in the desert, and my smaller enclosures turn bone dry within a week or so. Meanwhile, people like @boina couldn't get their substrate to dry out even if they wanted to.

Good luck, and try to take that humidity advice with a grain of salt.
You mean similar to what I told him to do here?

Also, I live in the desert. My humidity requirements are entirely different than yours.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You mean similar to what I told him to do here?
No they dont have humidity requirements, thats the point I was making. Humidity means atmospheric moisture, water vapor and moist sub arent the same thing at all. Now the humidity of you climate will only dictate moisture retention, that along with how well you ventilate your enclosures.
MThe only numbers that were brought up at all were in relation to relative humidity, which absolutely does matter. Lower humidity means the substrate will dry out quicker. This is especially true during the winter when we're all using space heaters which dry out the air even more.
Of course, but when you claim the tarantula has "humidity requirements" it gives off the wrong impression. I just wish people would stop using the term in that fashion. Moisture requirements sounds a lot better to me. ;)

Whenever I hear "they need high humidity" I assume the person doesn't understand the difference, hence my clarification.
As with any sling needing high humidity
I'd keep her much more humid.
Hard to retort these two quotes, that are directly referencing my point. Essentially, you should choose your words more carefully...especially when educating others.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No they dont have humidity requirements, thats the point I was making. Humidity means atmospheric moisture, water vapor and moist sub arent the same thing at all. Now the humidity of you climate will only dictate moisture retention, that along with how well you ventilate your enclosures.

Of course, but when you claim the tarantula has "humidity requirements" it gives off the wrong impression. I just wish people would stop using the term in that fashion. Moisture requirements sounds a lot better to me. ;)

Whenever I hear "they need high humidity" I assume the person doesn't understand the difference, hence my clarification.

Hard to retort these two quotes, that are directly referencing my point. Essentially, you should choose your words more carefully...especially when educating others.
So it's a disagreement of semantics, then? Definitely not interested in that. Deuces.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So it's a disagreement of semantics, then? Definitely not interested in that. Deuces.
My apologies then Ryan, its not my incentive to cause that reaction. You may be reading into my post too much though, its my opinion thats all...hope you dont take it too personally. I always enjoyed you as a member of this site, even before you became a mod. ;)

I do get annoyed seeing the term thrown around constantly though. So I feel that addressing it would be productive in the long run.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It just got more complicated. LOL. Well I’ll keep it simple and just sprinkle water every couple days.
It boils down to not technically measuring humidity, but rather soil moisture. That's all. 100% of my advice still stands in my experience.

LostInExotics

Arachnosquire
It boils down to not technically measuring humidity, but rather soil moisture. That's all. 100% of my advice still stands in my experience.
Yea I’m not really chasing humidity. It just so happens that I have a hygrometer in my room for my reptiles that’s how I knew my room humidity.