Any morphologists out there?

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sensillae I can see, but for what purpose?
For that, you might have to do some sectioning on an entire specimen. I don't work on arthropods. I'm usually looking at sperm in sea worms. It might be useful to take a look at the external surface of a spermatheca in comparison to the surrounding surfaces. Compare external sensillae with what you're finding on the inner surfaces of spermathecae.

You're mounting the entire or large portion of the opisthosoma on stubs? Might be useful to cut down to portions that can lay flat so that you don't have to tilt. Depth of field then doesn't become a compromising factor against WD at high mag.

Fascinating micrographs. Keep us posted!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For that, you might have to do some sectioning on an entire specimen. I don't work on arthropods. I'm usually looking at sperm in sea worms. It might be useful to take a look at the external surface of a spermatheca in comparison to the surrounding surfaces. Compare external sensillae with what you're finding on the inner surfaces of spermathecae.

You're mounting the entire or large portion of the opisthosoma on stubs? Might be useful to cut down to portions that can lay flat so that you don't have to tilt. Depth of field then doesn't become a compromising factor against WD at high mag.

Fascinating micrographs. Keep us posted!
I'm working mainly with insects, so this is the start to a side project. One of the machines in the lab can scan images and cut in the same chamber so I am trying to figure a method to utilize that function to give a better idea of how these stuctures sit in a better preserved sample (i.e. not a molt). I do agree using an entire specimen will be more beneficial. This started as a project to get SEM practice but now it has now escalated into many questions. I'll keep posting pics as I take them.