Any ideas for this tank I have?

AriaFaline

Arachnopeon
So I have this small glass tank with a screen top that measures 20.5 x 21 x 25.5 cm. Right now it is empty aside from the assorted nonsense you can see in the picture and I am trying to figure out if it could make a suitable enclosure for anything without much modification to the tank itself. Since it is somewhat of a storage enclosure now I have no issue changing the substrate or decorations as needed. Any ideas?

Attachments

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
The screen top propably would make it perfect for a mantis to hold onto.
So maybe make a mantis-Enclosure out of it?
I think it would also look nice if you put a heavy-webbing spider in it (then just glue some small pieces of bark onto the glass so it has anchoring Points and doesnt`t web too much onto the lid).
A communal of dwarfs would also be really cool (N. incei or most cyriocosmus can sometimes live communally).
These are the first ideas I´ve had

AriaFaline

Arachnopeon
Actually I'm really digging the idea of turning it into a mantis enclosure, I heard they're pretty smart and turn to look at people in the room. Thanks for the idea :D

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
I have one as a pet and I can only recommend them as pets.
She really looks at me when I watch her or do something near her enclosure and you can really feel that they are intelligent and to some point aware of their surroundings.
Also the feeding is always cool

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Actually I'm really digging the idea of turning it into a mantis enclosure, I heard they're pretty smart and turn to look at people in the room. Thanks for the idea :D
She really looks at me when I watch her or do something near her enclosure and you can really feel that they are intelligent and to some point aware of their surroundings.
The eyesight of a mantis is as good (or better) than ours. It is little surprise they follow your movements, as their hunting is entirely based upon sight, like jumping spiders.

Sometimes they misjudge the size of their prey, though, and they can bite off more than they can chew (literally).

I have Hierodula membranacea and Tenodera sinensis at the moment.

Shaithisferenczy

Arachnopeon
how long do mantids live for? i heard it was a very short time but i don't know how true that is

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It would do for a small species of mantis like Creobroter gemmatus or a Hymenopus coronatus. Mantids need at least three times their length of height to make sure they molt properly.
Mantids actually interact with you. I had a H.membranacea who would come out and on to my hand when i opened her enclosure. Feeding can be brutal though, they start eating while the prey is still alive.

Imo it's too small for an N/H.incei communal and those tend to end up being just one fat spider.

Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora species can be kept in there, but you'll need to switch the mesh out for acryllic with holes in it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Depends on the species but on average between 6 and 8 months.
You're talking about life expectancy from maturing i hope? Because most mantids live for a year from hatching, the bigger species even longer. Still way too short for such awesome animals though..

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
You're talking about life expectancy from maturing i hope? Because most mantids live for a year from hatching, the bigger species even longer. Still way too short for such awesome animals though..
As they are mostly sold as adults where I live, I just talked about the actual "having it as pet"-lifespan.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Would work okay for a small Avic. Only a minitrix would fit comfortably as a adult. Anything else would be a tight squeeze.

And you absolutely would not want to swap out the screen. Vent is stretched thin as it is with no cross ventilation. Don't limit it anymore.

A small fossorial like I mira would be okay too.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As they are mostly sold as adults where I live, I just talked about the actual "having it as pet"-lifespan.
Oh really? People (myself included) buy them as nymphs here, some as small as second instar or just the whole ooth. You could try to import nymphs from Katarina Wüst in Germany in Spring, she ships to most European countries. :)
Otherwise it is a really short period to enjoy your mantis :(

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
Oh really? People (myself included) buy them as nymphs here, some as small as second instar or just the whole ooth. You could try to import nymphs from Katarina Wüst in Germany in Spring, she ships to most European countries. :)
Otherwise it is a really short period to enjoy your mantis :(
In local pet stores you can only buy adults or ones that are about one mold away from becomming adult.
Mine passed away two days ago after about 6 months of having her live with me :(
It was really a short time, but amazing as she was the first handleable pet I ever had.
Maybe I´ll get another one in spring