Any Ideas for keeping molts?

Keith1212

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i have got almost 10 molts total now from my 4 t's. They rng from sizes of 5" and down. I like to keep them as it shows there sizes and what not at the time of molts. I was just keeping them in a Deli cup but now have too many.

I thought about getting a little clear thread/screw box, but would like something a little more displayable. any ideas?

i saw how people pin bugs to a cork board. would this be suitable for keeping the molts long term without deteriorating?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i built my molt display case....go to my pic link(its a couple pages back) but you can always buy a "shadow box" from micheals craft store or hobby lobby

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i saw how people pin bugs to a cork board. would this be suitable for keeping the molts long term without deteriorating?
I have one in a glass jar that I forgot I evenhad for several years and it looks fine. The T took the wet parts with it, so as long as you keep it dry there's not much that can really go bad on a molt.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
OP: you cannot pin molts, they are extremely brittle and will not do well under pressure. i like to mount mine personally. a lot less work than encasing it in some sort of plastic or whatever. you just need to let the molt soak for awhile, then position it in whatever pose you like, and let dry. it is good like that for a very long time. you can even glue the feet down to something if you like. some examples of this in my pic thread in my sig.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What did you use for the background in your shadow box. I like the texture.
a extra piece of celing title i had laying around.....i then spray painted it flat black turned out better than i planed.....also i use hot glue to hold my molts down.seeing as how thats their permenent home i dont need them to move. its also far from done...i still have lots more molts to put in it before its done.