Any experienced/long timers still not comfortable with Old Worlds?

As an experienced T collector, do you own Old Worlds?

• Yes , old worlds are no problem for me.

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • No, Old worlds are not my cup of tea.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Yes I Will have them eventually.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • No I will never have them regardless of my experience.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No idea.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

DeividasTerechovas

Arachnopeon
I really appreciate that you’re able to acknowledge your mistakes. We’re all humans, we all make mistakes, but I can’t stand when someone refuses to admit that they did something wrong. Kudos to you
Thank you :)
Hoping this forum will provide me more information so i don't mess up again, rather not face that pain again haha
We got a reptile show coming up to Slovakia and I fell to temptation today and pre-ordered a p.merallica sling and a p.muticus 1" haha

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Currently have and eleven and nine year old in the house. Will not be bringing in any pet with significant venom until they are much older.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Whilst it obviously is down to the individual I'm quite surprised to read some comments.

"I have kids" being 1. I don't have the stats on this but I imagine there's a far greater risk taking a kid to school in a car than a tarantula kept securely harming 1.

Now I'm not for 1 second stating they're not within their rights but I do feel there are greater hazards in the world if the tarantula owner is responsible.

Last edited:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Just haven't got one due to the fact I have a 3 yo running around. Plus IMO, new worlders are better all around so it works out.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Also - what happened with your H Mac?
Only spider I have owned (thus far) that readily bolted on me during rehouses. That, their rather unpredictable behavior, and their readiness to strike/be defensive turned me off. So, I sold em off and now he’s someone elses to deal with.

They are pretty though.

DeividasTerechovas

Arachnopeon
Whilst it obviously is down to the individual I'm quite surprised to read some comments.

"I have kids" being 1. I don't have the stats on this but I imagine there's a far greater risk taking a kid to school in a car than a tarantula kept securely harming 1.

Now I'm not for 1 second stating they're not within their rights but I do feel there are greater hazards in the world if the tarantula owner is responsible.
I agree with this.
Though each there own, it's more the fact that there's much more scarier things, even a dog can be more danger to a kid then a OW T, here in Slovakia there's a lot of stray dogs around villages and even wild boars around central, I think that is more scarier for me then a OW haha

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There are greater hazards, yes. If I think of everything that can go wrong with my daughter I cramp up in anxiety.
But that is nothing compared to how I felt when my 2 cm DLS H.maculata sling escaped and disappeared. The thought of my little girl going through intense agony because of something I willingly brought into my home, a decision that didn't even included her.... I still have nightmares. I was very, very lucky the room I keep the spiders in us completely sealed off. But still, if I thought of the smallest possibility of that sling getting to my girl... I got physically sick.
Good thing I found the sling a few months later, dessicated. Not fun for the spider, but the best outcome in this scenario aside from me actually finding it alive.
I must say though, the H.maculata was not my choice but a freebie with an order. I was anxious around it and even went wailing to @cold blood about what I should do. Maybe that anxiety caused me to be less able to deal with it. I opened the tub up for watering, the spider was on the lid and I didn't see that because of the webbing, and next thing I know it makes a run for it and it disappeared behind a couple of boxes and cupboards.
If I really want to drive myself crazy I just imagine it was a moult I found and not the spider. :eek:

I seriously considered blasting my house with whatever works, but I can't do that because of my other kritters.

All's well that ends well, but after that I decided to sell my Pokies. I think I simply can't handle the 3D escape possibilities of an arboreal OW.

basin79

ArachnoGod
There are greater hazards, yes. If I think of everything that can go wrong with my daughter I cramp up in anxiety.
But that is nothing compared to how I felt when my 2 cm DLS H.maculata sling escaped and disappeared. The thought of my little girl going through intense agony because of something I willingly brought into my home, a decision that didn't even included her.... I still have nightmares. I was very, very lucky the room I keep the spiders in us completely sealed off. But still, if I thought of the smallest possibility of that sling getting to my girl... I got physically sick.
Good thing I found the sling a few months later, dessicated. Not fun for the spider, but the best outcome in this scenario aside from me actually finding it alive.
I must say though, the H.maculata was not my choice but a freebie with an order. I was anxious around it and even went wailing to @cold blood about what I should do. Maybe that anxiety caused me to be less able to deal with it. I opened the tub up for watering, the spider was on the lid and I didn't see that because of the webbing, and next thing I know it makes a run for it and it disappeared behind a couple of boxes and cupboards.
If I really want to drive myself crazy I just imagine it was a moult I found and not the spider. :eek:

I seriously considered blasting my house with whatever works, but I can't do that because of my other kritters.

All's well that ends well, but after that I decided to sell my Pokies. I think I simply can't handle the 3D escape possibilities of an arboreal OW.
I know you can't plan for every eventuality but if you did notice the H.mac on the lid it would never have got out and you wouldn't have had that situation. That's what I was sort of trying to get across. Secure tarantulas are perfectly safe and there are far greater risks inside the home to a child.

At the end of the day you'll do what you feel is right so I understand that.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know you can't plan for every eventuality but if you did notice the H.mac on the lid it would never have got out and you wouldn't have had that situation. That's what I was sort of trying to get across. Secure tarantulas are perfectly safe and there are far greater risks inside the home to a child.

At the end of the day you'll do what you feel is right so I understand that.
I'm not sure if I would be quick enough to catch it if I did notice it, but I get your point. Which is exactly why I will not get any more OW arboreals. ;)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
A question I can't help but ask for people who only own NWs for various reasons, as I've heard this being a reason some people only keep OWs; what happens if you become too sensitive to urticating setae? Would you just try to tough it out? Get out of keeping all-together? Or would that push you to maybe venture into OWs? Sure, N. incei and Psalmopoeus species lack urticating setae, but that's pretty slim pickings in the grand scheme of things (though if I could only keep one genus, it'd probably be Psalmos).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A question I can't help but ask for people who only own NWs for various reasons, as I've heard this being a reason some people only keep OWs; what happens if you become too sensitive to urticating setae? Would you just try to tough it out? Get out of keeping all-together? Or would that push you to maybe venture into OWs? Sure, N. incei and Psalmopoeus species lack urticating setae, but that's pretty slim pickings in the grand scheme of things (though if I could only keep one genus, it'd probably be Psalmos).
I can't 'tough' it out, unfortunately. The reaction to the urticating hairs became very severe to the point that I sold most NW. I only keep Avicularia and Ephebopus now, aside from some OW. I think that might have been the reason why I branched out into more demanding OW species.
I can keep Avicularia because they don't kick hairs so I only have to be careful when doing full enclosure maintenance. I have no reaction to Ephebopus hairs so far, but maybe she hasn't been spreading them so much, and I have never seen her 'throwing' her hairs since she is more likely to bolt or threat pose.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know if 6-7 years counts as "experienced", but I maintain a hardline No OWs policy. I have enough bad dreams about getting bit by my Ts, I don't need to make them any worse!

I have neurological issues and have no idea how a serious bite would affect me. Also poor coordination/tremors + OWs just seems like a recipe for disaster. I am admittedly a little morbidly curious how I might react to OW venom, though.

M. balfouris are the only OWs that tempt me to break my rule. A big communal tank of those is kind of my dream T setup.

I can't 'tough' it out, unfortunately. The reaction to the urticating hairs became very severe to the point that I sold most NW. I only keep Avicularia and Ephebopus now, aside from some OW. I think that might have been the reason why I branched out into more demanding OW species.
I can keep Avicularia because they don't kick hairs so I only have to be careful when doing full enclosure maintenance. I have no reaction to Ephebopus hairs so far, but maybe she hasn't been spreading them so much, and I have never seen her 'throwing' her hairs since she is more likely to bolt or threat pose.
This is a big fear of mine, so I take action to minimize hair exposure. @Andrea82 How long did it take to develop such a bad reaction?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This is a big fear of mine, so I take action to minimize hair exposure. @Andrea82 How long did it take to develop such a bad reaction?
I already had a mild reaction after first contact actually, when I unboxed and housed my first T.albopilosum. Some mild itching that lasted a couple of hours. From that to blistering irritated red skin, pain and severe itching for two weeks, it was about three years, I think.

So I'd say that if you're keeping NW for 6/7 years, and you didn't develop a severe reaction, you're safe.
Of course, reaction increases over timr, but if you were at risk of developing a severe reaction you would have done so by now. :)

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I already had a mild reaction after first contact actually, when I unboxed and housed my first T.albopilosum. Some mild itching that lasted a couple of hours. From that to blistering irritated red skin, pain and severe itching for two weeks, it was about three years, I think.

So I'd say that if you're keeping NW for 6/7 years, and you didn't develop a severe reaction, you're safe.
Of course, reaction increases over timr, but if you were at risk of developing a severe reaction you would have done so by now. :)
Whoa, that's a crazy escalation of symptoms over such a short period. Were you handling them at all? Was this purely through passive exposure while doing tank maintenance? That sucks!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Whoa, that's a crazy escalation of symptoms over such a short period. Were you handling them at all? Was this purely through passive exposure while doing tank maintenance? That sucks!
I only ever handled a spider once, it was my first, I wanted to know what it felt like. After that, I knew, and never handled again.
Exposure was from maintenance, or spiders kicking hairs while feeding and/or watering. After a time, just opening an enclosure would unsettle the hairs on say, webbing, and voila, I had a reaction.
It started with Brachypelma/Tliltocatl species, my B.hamorii being an avid hair kicker. When the neighbours closed their front door a bit loud, she was already kicking. After that, it was my C.cyaneopubescens 'GBB', L.parahybana, E.campestratus and it branched out after that. I thought I'd struck gold with my A.geniculata army because I didn't habe a severe reaction at first, but unfortunately, that reaction became severe as well.
I was really sad after that because I loved my murderous feeding tanks :(
Gloves, ducktape, wearing shirts with long sleeves didn't work because I would then have to take those off again and there would always be stray hairs landing on my hands, my neck and well... Everywhere really.
The only species I have a reaction to but still keep is Avicularia spp. Their hairs have the same effect, but since they don't kick, I don't get these clouds of hairs if I am careful and hold my breath when feeding/watering.:wacky:
Enclosure maintenance or rehousing still sucks though. :shifty:

Ephebopus has urticating hairs as well, but I haven't had a reaction (yet), I think because she doesn't use hairs as much in either webbing or kicking.

I would really like to keep Phormictopus spp, simply because of their attitude, size and colours but I'm hesitant to try, even though I've heard/read they rather strike or threat pose than kick hairs.

Yeah. It sucks. :sorry: