Any dart keepers here?

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got a 30x30x45 exo terra for Christmas, i've wanted dart frogs for years but wasn't allowed, and now finally i am so i want to set up a planted exo for a pair.
I got told that the size was way too small for practically every single species apart from thumbnail species such as Ranitomeya sp. I was then told they are for more experienced dart frog keepers only. But provided i did all the research and set up the terrarium appropriately suiting their conditions there shouldn't be a problem should there?

Im already setting the tank up, i've wanted a proper planted viv for years, and if it turns out i cant get darts after all at least i have a nice enclosure.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep R. ventrimaculata, four adults in an Exo 18 x 18 x 24. They haven't proven to be any more difficult to keep than my tincs, they're just much more shy. Actually, the vents have proven to be prolific breeders.
I say go for it, darts are such entertaining little critters.

jdl

Arachnosquire
You can set up multiple levels in that exo terra. What I mean is put some logs or cork bark for them to climb on and if you are able to set up the tank and keep the plants going, that would be a good sign that dart frogs would do well in there. I use 10 gallon tanks for tincs and don't have any problems. If the tank is well planted, even some of the more sensitive species of darts should do well. Good luck

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
He's using millimeters. 30x30x45 comes out to 12” x 12” x 18”. A 10 gallon aquarium is 10 1/2" x 12 9/16" x 20 1/4".

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well i meant centimetres, i used some convertion calculators online to get the gallons and it came to 10 US gallons every time.

RabidWombat

Arachnopeon
Dero, go to www.dendroboard.com and check out their info. I've been lurking on there for months now. Everything you need to know is there.

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a paludarium with info I've been gathering from the board.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Not really the best measures for dendros: add a bit of plants and barks and you will eat up that 30x30 pretty fast.
45x45 is a good floor start for a couple of medium size dendros.

30x30x45 is not so impossible to adapt for a Ranitomeya sp. if well planned.

But if you are into darts, the site linked is good for you.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Well i meant centimetres, i used some convertion calculators online to get the gallons and it came to 10 US gallons every time.
Sorry. I meant centimeters.

---------- Post added 12-28-2012 at 03:50 PM ----------

Dero, go to www.dendroboard.com and check out their info. I've been lurking on there for months now. Everything you need to know is there.

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a paludarium with info I've been gathering from the board.
I lurk there too. Those guys really know their stuff.

tpduckwa

Arachnopeon
im also a lurker on DB :) I just started building my first dart vivarium. its a 100 gallon (72"x18"x18") aquarium a co-worker gave me. ill probably start a construction thread once i get some pictures taken

jake9134

Arachnosquire
Ranitomeya imitator 'varadero' are my favorite sp. of darts. Of my adult pair 1 is shy and 1 is super bold but both are always out and about, unlike R. lamasi 'orange' and a few others. the orange flaming head and blue legs make them look amazing and I love their call (which is loud for their size). the downside is that they need springtails to feed on as babies and must have TLC until they can eat fruit flies. they are hardy as adults and would fit that tank nicely. vara.jpg

macbaffo

Arachnolord
R: Any dart keepers here?

Ranitomeya sp. Has loud call? Didn't know that but it's nice to know that:)

Btw nice pic :)