Any cool, low maintenance inverts in southern California?

squidkid

Arachnoknight
just looking for something new to find/keep. something that doesn't need a lot of room and is fun to watch hunt (preferably carnivore). Any suggestions?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you looking for native SoCal creatures only? Or would exotics that could be purchased locally also be an option?

For a small enclosure, assassin bugs are a lot of fun! They are highly visible, super easy to take care of, and aggressive hunters/feeders. I keep African white-spot assassins (Platymeris biguttatus) and am just starting a group of Horrid Kings (Pystalla horrida) and I love 'em!

As for local inverts, the Aphonopelma tarantulas are pretty cool, as are the various native scorpions and the Scolopendra polymorpha centipedes! You can frequently find them if you go out hiking in the hills or canyons at night with a flashlight (or a black light, for scorpions). They are also quite easy to keep, don't require much space, and are generally fun to watch hunt. Down side is they are primarily nocturnal, so not terribly active during the day - and the scorpions and centipedes will usually spend the daylight hours burrowed into their substrate.

squidkid

Arachnoknight
assassins sound awesome, where is a good place to purchase them?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just looking for something new to find/keep. something that doesn't need a lot of room and is fun to watch hunt (preferably carnivore). Any suggestions?
Vinegaroons are another great option. They are amazing hunters, get big, don’t need a lot of space...

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are there any native?
Native assassin bugs? Yes, there are - though I've found them a bit trickier to keep alive in captivity than the white spots, plus they are quite a bit smaller. One that I find frequently when out hiking is the California Bee Assassin, Apiomerus californicus. As their name might suggest, their preferred food is bees - though they will take other feeder insects such as crickets. They are ambush predators that can be found hanging out on the undersides of California buckwheat flowers or other flowering plants, waiting for bees to land.

I have also found various Zelus species, and there are certainly plenty of other small native assassin bugs that can be found in California.

You are unlikely to find anybody selling the native assassin bugs because they are not widely kept - but if you look closely out in the hills or canyons - or even in your yard or garden - (check on shrubs and flowering plants) you may be able to find and collect some yourself.

squidkid

Arachnoknight
i've seen Emesaya brevipennis around. do you know anything about them, they are pretty cool

squidkid

Arachnoknight
went hiking the other night in search of native T's but had no luck. any pointers?