Anti-Barking devices and Tarantulas.

hasani1408

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am getting a puppy next weekend. And I have been checking out different anti-barking devices. One sprays citronella so I can't use that. My other option is a sonic device. Will the sonic device be harmful to my Ts?

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ultrasonic pest repellants claim to work on spiders and the sonic sound generated by the anti barking device is high frequency enough that we can't hear it. I have to assume that it can have temporary effects on larger spiders but it probably won't matter because it would need to be extremely close to them and be continuous. I am assuming it goes off in short bursts just to keep a dog from barking. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am getting a puppy next weekend. And I have been checking out different anti-barking devices.
Barking is a sign of a problem - a dog that's not getting enough exercise/stimulation, or one that just needs to be properly trained on how to behave. (Or it's a breed of dog that has lots of barking wired into its genetics and you will never stop it from barking.)

So rather than eliminating a symptom you don't even know if you'll have an issue with yet, why not avoid the problems that cause it in the first place? :confused: Your dog will be much happier than if something is upsetting it and it NEEDS to bark and some sonic device is causing it discomfort every time.

(If you just don't want to ever hear a bark, maybe a dog is not the best choice. :confused: )

TheBeautyOf8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well said spore, i mean if the dog is just a little <EDIT -MrI> and wont stop barking fair enough, but a new pupy? give him a chance ! :D

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think the sonic would be terrible. But iirc, there are always devices that also spray water/air - maybe look for one like that?

infestedtwinkie

Arachnopeon
Barking is a sign of a problem - a dog that's not getting enough exercise/stimulation, or one that just needs to be properly trained on how to behave. (Or it's a breed of dog that has lots of barking wired into its genetics and you will never stop it from barking.)

So rather than eliminating a symptom you don't even know if you'll have an issue with yet, why not avoid the problems that cause it in the first place? :confused: Your dog will be much happier than if something is upsetting it and it NEEDS to bark and some sonic device is causing it discomfort every time.

(If you just don't want to ever hear a bark, maybe a dog is not the best choice. :confused: )
100% agree with this. Please work to solve the problem that is causing the barking (through training and exercise).

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ultrasonic pest repellants claim to work on spiders and the sonic sound generated by the anti barking device is high frequency enough that we can't hear it. I have to assume that it can have temporary effects on larger spiders but it probably won't matter because it would need to be extremely close to them and be continuous. I am assuming it goes off in short bursts just to keep a dog from barking. I wouldn't worry about it.
This assumes (incorrectly) such devices actually do as is claimed against arthropods.

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I disagree spore.
I have 2 dogs. A female Stella and a male Jamie. Both were street dogs when puppies but have grown like any other dog.

My family takes them out for walks 3 times a day in a "schedule" so that they can do their business. They know when the time to go out is because you can tell they get impatient.

They bark at anything though. They see a fly they bark. I turn the TV on they bark. I go to another room they bark. They especially bark when a dog crosses the street.

That was a few years ago when I just got them.

I love my dogs and didnt want them to get squirted with citronella the whole day so since they were puppies i started to slap their snout lightly and say no! when they barked.

I also test them if im in a park and theres another dog and they start barking i shout no! and if they stop they get a treat. Basics of dog training and it works.

Now everytime they bark i shout no! and they immediately stop, i hope that eventually they will stop all together, mind you the barks dont bother ME but everyone else around.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This assumes (incorrectly) such devices actually do as is claimed against arthropods.
That's for sure. I've played with some of these "bug repelling sonic devices" and have yet to see any indication that they work at all. I remember one in particular that was supposed to scare mosquitoes away - allegedly it sounded like a bat, so flying insects would avoid it. All it really did was add another annoying sound to the mix.

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's for sure. I've played with some of these "bug repelling sonic devices" and have yet to see any indication that they work at all. I remember one in particular that was supposed to scare mosquitoes away - allegedly it sounded like a bat, so flying insects would avoid it. All it really did was add another annoying sound to the mix.
maybe i'm wrong, but i wouldn't think a mosquito could even recognize the sound of a bat...?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe i'm wrong, but i wouldn't think a mosquito could even recognize the sound of a bat...?
There's been some work done on this - at least some flying insects do recognize the echolocation sounds of bats and take evasive action. Moths will actually drop out of the air in response to hearing bat noises at close range. Don't know what mosquitoes do, but I know they will drop out of the air to avoid some other types of attacks.

However - they sure didn't recognize the squeeking noises of the sonic devices as anything threatening.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I disagree spore.
I have 2 dogs. A female Stella and a male Jamie. Both were street dogs when puppies but have grown like any other dog.

My family takes them out for walks 3 times a day in a "schedule" so that they can do their business. They know when the time to go out is because you can tell they get impatient.

They bark at anything though. They see a fly they bark. I turn the TV on they bark. I go to another room they bark. They especially bark when a dog crosses the street.

That was a few years ago when I just got them.

I love my dogs and didnt want them to get squirted with citronella the whole day so since they were puppies i started to slap their snout lightly and say no! when they barked.

I also test them if im in a park and theres another dog and they start barking i shout no! and if they stop they get a treat. Basics of dog training and it works.

Now everytime they bark i shout no! and they immediately stop, i hope that eventually they will stop all together, mind you the barks dont bother ME but everyone else around.
That is NOT the basics of dog training and any good trainer worth his salt will tell you that. Physical punishment like slapping the dog's muzzle is not the answer because it will only scare them into submission and neither is shouting because it will just exacerbate the problem. Try clicker training next time you have a problem with behavior. It uses a distinct sound coupled with positive reinforcement.

Putting bark deterrents on puppies is a horrible idea. Once again, clicker training or you can take it to an accredited trainer where you can be present for any activity with your puppy. If nothing else works and you absolutely must use a physical deterrent, water or vinegar solution in a spray bottle is the best bet. T problem solved.

hasani1408

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Before you judge me let me explain the whole situation. I have no problem with a dog barking at all. and I have not purchased the device nor do I know if I will have any problems with him. I was just curious in case my ignorant neighbors would start complaining. The breed of dog I am getting is prone to barking when left alone. And face it although someone will be with him 20 hours out the day. I can't be with him all the time. I just wanted some insight not bashing Thanks. I could see if I was mistreating my animals.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Before you judge me let me explain the whole situation. I have no problem with a dog barking at all. and I have not purchased the device nor do I know if I will have any problems with him. I was just curious in case my ignorant neighbors would start complaining. The breed of dog I am getting is prone to barking when left alone. And face it although someone will be with him 20 hours out the day. I can't be with him all the time. I just wanted some insight not bashing Thanks. I could see if I was mistreating my animals.
I'm not judging you in any way. I was just irritated at the other poster's method of training their dog. Simply put, training devices such as collars are a bad idea for puppies. What you can do is use a remote deterrent if it only barks while you're away, one that sits on your table that lets off a high frequency sound in response to a bark if you're really worried about it. It shouldn't be ultrasonic but a startling noise. If you leave it outside when it's old enough, the remote can easily be set outside as well. Some are even shaped like birdhouses.

hasani1408

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's what I was talking about not a collar but a table top one. I am hoping to not have to use one at all but I just didn't want to harm my Ts or be forced to get rid of my dog.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's what I was talking about not a collar but a table top one. I am hoping to not have to use one at all but I just didn't want to harm my Ts or be forced to get rid of my dog.
Ah ok. I assumed collars since that seems what everyone jumps to {D . They shouldn't harm your Ts especially if they are in a room away from the puppy. Also, the puppy might even learn quick enough so it won't even go off while you're gone.

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep a Petsafe Barking Collar for my JRT ADULT .. keep in mind that i DO NOT use it all the time and only when people come over for the first 20 mins and when i take it off hes perfectly fine also they learn that the collar is a spark and bark so most of the time i have this blue regular collar for tags that i put on and he thinks its the spark one that i use instead.
And also don't use it on a puppy... its a baby dog learning , curious, playful , vocal. If its barking they want your attention , have to pee or warning you of possible intruder.

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, i too believe that barkin is often a sign of a dog with a need not fulfilled, but at the same time sometimes they are just very vocal. most of my dogs would bark and whine constantly after being put in their crate at night or whenever they see a squirell etc. the spray devices only work on very small breeds typically. Recently a person i know called the tech support for one of the ultrasonic pest reppelent devices and was told by the representative that an animal in an enclosure made of a material like acrylic or glass such as a terrarium would not be harmed by the sonic waves which would be unable to penetrate the enclosure walls. the reason the object can penetrate the walls of the house is because the sound waves travel along the wiring in the house which goes through the walls, but the waves alone cannot penetrate barriers, so this collar shouldnt be much of a problem, especially if you keep your dog and spiders separated anyway.

John

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Recently a person i know called the tech support for one of the ultrasonic pest reppelent devices and was told by the representative that .... the reason the object can penetrate the walls of the house is because the sound waves travel along the wiring in the house which goes through the walls....
Hmmmm..... That sounds like as fanciful a claim as the one that says these devices actually repel pests.

kryptix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 2 Mini. Schnauzers and live in a 1 bedroom apt. I go to work everyday, but my girlfriend has been able to stay home with them so barking hasn't been a problem, now my g/f has a job so they will be alone around 6 hours a day. I have been wondering about methods to make them not bark while they are alone, since we've had one complaint from our neighbors about them when we have left them alone in the past ( they love to howl when we leave them alone).

Has anyone tried the method of sitting outside the door for a set amount of time and if they don't bark reward them, and if they do bark come in and make a startling sound to make them stop?