Ant problem

iamthegame06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently moved in to a new place. Where I used to live, we never had ants. I'm not sure why, but we just never had them. About maybe a week ago, I started seeing ants at our new place. I ignored them at first, because it was just a few wandering around. A few days ago my sister left a cupcake in the kitchen and the next day there was hundreds of ants feasting on it. Yesterday, I started seeing a few wandering around my spider room, so Im really worried. I have read stories of ants eating freshly molted tarantulas. I'm thinking of buying those ant poison traps that they eat. I don't know how well those works though. I was also thinking of using chalk around my racks and cabinets, but I have mom's holding on to their sac and I don't really want to disturb them. Anyone here had an ant problem before? How did you get rid of them? Any tip(s) would be helpful! thanks!

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
If they are sweet eating ants,and yours seem to be,I would try Terro.It's available at Home Depot and Lowe's.You just follow the directions,and a few days later,the ants disappear.No threat to your T's.

cold blood

Staff member
You'll get lots more ideas if you do a search, this topic is duplicated from time to time.

iamthegame06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@shawno821 Yes, they're the black ants. I just looked up Terro, thats the poison trap i was talking about but I wasn't sure if it actually works lol Have you tried using it yourself?

@coldblood I did do a search. But i got to be honest, I stopped after the second page when I realized that much of the replies were just people arguing rather than giving out solutions. I was looking for a more definitive answer or solution from someone who has experienced it first hand and got rid of the ants.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
+1 for the Terro. That stuff is magic juice, I have to use it every fall.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
You must not have read to the end of my thread, where I gave a status update... diatomaceous earth was the solution for me. Worked great and totally T safe, as long as they aren't walking through it.

iamthegame06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got done cleaning out my roach bins. I found ants marching in and out, not a lot..But I wanted to take care of it before it gets worse.

@EulersK I think I'm sold on Terro (thanks to you and shawno821). I will have to go to get some tomorrow. Thank you!

@Blueandbluer I will be looking into it! thank you so much!

iamthegame06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
UPDATE: I bought terro yesterday and put them everywhere. Last night around midnight I checked up on it and saw a whole bunch of ants feasting on the traps. This morning they're all gone! Or at least it seems like it at the moment. All the terro traps are still half full, so Im just going to leave them where they are at just in case the ants comes back!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yep, sounds about right. Trust me, your ant problem is solved. Glad we could help :D

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
The stuff really is great at getting rid of ants without endangering your T's. They carry it right back to the nest and wipe out the whole thing,problem solved! Glad to be of help.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
If you have a copy of the tarantula keepers guide (great read) dr. Schultz has a foolproof system to stop ants from getting to your t's if traps and poison fail.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I had regular ant intrusions in Orange County; there's just a season where it's a given. My solution was to line the bottoms of my racks and shelves, anything an invert was on, with Vaseline--to prevent them from getting anywhere near the enclosures. Then to get rid of them, I'd sprinkle some corn meal along their line and at what appeared to be the source of the intrusion and they'd be gone in a day or so.