Another weird abdomen on a adult T. spinipes

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rob, it appears to be no doubt T "burgundy" (spinipes) is not a hybrid at all.
(rick west words), but a 3rd specie.

I dont believe that has anything to do with it, but with the feeders and the ammount.

the "lesser" fat theraphosa I have never presented any of this problems.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rob, it appears to be no doubt T "burgundy" (spinipes) is not a hybrid at all.
(rick west words), but a 3rd specie.

I dont believe that has anything to do with it, but with the feeders and the ammount.

the "lesser" fat theraphosa I have never presented any of this problems.
Well that is good info Fran!! But Sammy was not fat LOL!! not like me LOL!!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, yeah...i mean i dont know for sure, of course...This one might not be the same case but, in general, this super heavy Theraphosa tend to have that problem.

It bothers me...I have the need to know :(

It has happened to a good amount of my fatter females, and the ones I have NEVER fed vertebrates this hasnt happened yet....I dont know :(

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, yeah...i mean i dont know for sure, of course...This one might not be the same case but, in general, this super heavy Theraphosa tend to have that problem.

It bothers me...I have the need to know :(

It has happened to a good amount of my fatter females, and the ones I have NEVER fed vertebrates this hasnt happened yet....I dont know :(
I am right with ya Fran, I really want to know......I know it bugs ya!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Was? Did she die? :(
Oh, oppps....no she is still doing okay...I still have her in I.C.U so I can check on her, she could molt in there if needed...there is a LOT of padding.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, oppps....no she is still doing okay...I still have her in I.C.U so I can check on her, she could molt in there if needed...there is a LOT of padding.

Im having THE SAME problem right now Rob. amazing.

The largest of the bunch, with a full rounded abdomen and NEVER a problem suddenly its abdomen changed shape. It is abrupted, exactly like Zilla was but on the very top of it.

Theres no room for a fall, so I just dont know whats going on. She is starting pre moult (im quite sure)...Lets see. :(

I wish I could drop a couple of hundred thousands on research for this animals.Theres very little what we know of them because of the darn same problem. $

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Im having THE SAME problem right now Rob. amazing.

The largest of the bunch, with a full rounded abdomen and NEVER a problem suddenly its abdomen changed shape. It is abrupted, exactly like Zilla was but on the very top of it.

Theres no room for a fall, so I just dont know whats going on. She is starting pre moult (im quite sure)...Lets see. :(

I wish I could drop a couple of hundred thousands on research for this animals.Theres very little what we know of them because of the darn same problem. $
You just com,firmed something though.....Zilla, sammy & now your girl have this...all large females and all deep into the molt cycle. Fran I hate to say this but zillas started on top like you are describing, I would drain it if irt gets bad....I/we know what happens if you do not :( I am so sorry Fran....really am :(

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really sucks to hear, Rob.
Saw the video you posted.
Wish I had advice.... But I've never even seen a theraphosa in person.:(

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Fran, can you post pics of your girl so we can see? Im sorry to hear this about your girl now too. I seen her in "my biggest girl" thread and she is huge! I hope she doesnt have the same thing Zilla and Sammy has. :(

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about Sammy Rob. I have two fairly large females. Just hoping nothing like this happens to mine. Please keep us posted.

Arachnus

Arachnopeon
Hi Rob! hoping that Sammy gets better soon! in a molt maybe!

Unfortunatelly, i do not have an advice or hint for Sammy, just an almost similar case in an adult female Acanthoscurria gomesiana!

She had a huge and inflated spot under her´s abdomen, appeared from nowhere! she was in a heavy pre molt too!

but the differençe is that the spot was solid, like hardened tissue, and a white color in the spot, i had touched it before the molt and it was hard!

She went thru the molt OK, but in that place of the abdomen, the old exo glued to the new one, so with caution, i removed the old exo!

in the same place where the spot was, still have a white spot (hardened tissue) and a little bit inflated, but it is very smaller then before!

I´m hopping that Sammy gets the same luck that my Gomes have here!

Sorry by the english, following from Brazil!

best luck to you!

Last edited:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi Rob! hopping Sammy gets better soon! in a molt maybe!

Unfortunatelly, i do not have an advice or hint for Sammy, just an almost similar case in an adult female Acanthoscurria gomesiana!

She had a huge inflated spot under her´s abdomen, appeared from nowhere! she was in heavy pre molt too!

but the differençe is that the spot was solid, like hardened tissue, and a white color in the spot, i touched it before the molt and it was hard!

She went throught the molt OK, but in that place of the abdomen, the old exo glued to the new one, so with caution i removed the old exo!

in the place where that spot was, still have a white spot (hardened tissue) and a little bit inflated, but it is very small then before!

I´m hopping that your Sammy gets the same luck my Gomes had here!

Sorry for the bad english, following from Brazil!

best luck to you!
Sammy seems a lot better...lot more active and alert....I have been hydrating her with a syringe when needed....but her abdomen is not deflated...I may put her back in the enclosure soon!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Quick update, Sammy basically defecated a lot...I mean not a crazy amount but enough...I take this as a goiod sign...nothing strange about it as far as color goes. her abdomen is not deflated and she is moving about a LOT more!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Alright! Im glad to hear she is doing better. Did you put visine in her water? :? {D