Another unexpected Courtship Dance with Orthochirus negebensis. how to reproduce it?

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Perhaps give them a little more room at the next intro, as well... give the male a little more space to do his dance. Good luck! :happy:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hello

he will need somewhere hard like a rock or piece of bark to place the spermatophore

I've never seen any of my species place it on plastic or sand/earth

rony

Arachnopeon
Actually it happened by chance... I was put them for only a minute just to place them in different terrariums, and when I looked again, that what I saw.

so, what more should I do, to get the perfect condition for mating?

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Hello

he will need somewhere hard like a rock or piece of bark to place the spermatophore

I've never seen any of my species place it on plastic or sand/earth
On sand is not very common but i had it 2 od 3 times that the male placed the spermatophore on sand although he had also flat bark and stones.
I noticed that the most used "location" for the spermatophore is a flat bark. If my scorpions have the choice between bark and stone the almost always prefer the bark.

rony

Arachnopeon
On sand is not very common but i had it 2 od 3 times that the male placed the spermatophore on sand although he had also flat bark and stones.
I noticed that the most used "location" for the spermatophore is a flat bark. If my scorpions have the choice between bark and stone the almost always prefer the bark.
Yes, I also notice that with a couple of Leiurus quinquestriatus I have. During the Courtship Dance the male draw the female to the barkes in the terrarium, more than the rocks.

But the problem with the O.negebensis is that I can't reproduce it...

What more should I do?

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Just keep them together and they will mate again. Sometimes it might take some days but in the end it will work. I don't know if all orthochirus sp are so social like o.innesi and O.afghanus but i guess it wouldn't be any problem with them to keep them in groups too.

rony

Arachnopeon
Just keep them together and they will mate again. Sometimes it might take some days but in the end it will work. I don't know if all orthochirus sp are so social like o.innesi and O.afghanus but i guess it wouldn't be any problem with them to keep them in groups too.
Don't know about the rest orthochirus sp, but this Orthochirus negebensis is a social one...
But unfortunately i'm still waiting... and nothing is happend...
Maybe I should try what Michiel said I slould do:

Candles,wine......Barry White.....
lol

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Are they cb or wc? May be if you got a adult wc she is already mated successfully and that's why she regrets him.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Echoing what others have said in this thread, house them together, provide a substrate and plenty of options for the male to deposit his spermatophore (i.e. bark, rocks, some broken pottery shards). Cool video and cool species. Never seen a mating attempt with no substrate, in a vial, that's usually not the way most people try to breed scorps lol. I'm sure you'll figure it out though and wish you luck.

I've heard the gestation time for Orthochirus spp. is quite lengthy, so even if you do get a successful mating it might be a while before you see any babies :)

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

Since I am also keeping this species I might as well describe how i'm keeping mine. I've got a group setup, 3 males and 3 females. I occasionally have checked the surfaces in their cage for any signs of any spermatophores. I have had them housed together for about 2.5 months now, and have yet to see one. That doesn't mean their hasn't been some sweet lovin' going on though, I imagine their spermatophores are very small and with all the options they have as far as where to deposit them in my setup, trying to find one would be like like looking for a needle in a haystack.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
They are not that small as you might think. Of course they are smaller than spermatophores from P.villosus or other big species, but i noticed that the size of spermatophores are not in direct relation to the size of the scorpion. Meaning a spermatophore of a double sized scorpion is not automatically the double size.
With these scorpion i guess it will have at least 3-6mm.

Btw @tabor sounds like you keep yours in a pretty chaotic set up with many hides etc. I would recommend to keep them a bit more pureristic set up. If the set up is too unclear you might miss that a female gave birth which increases the chances that the breeding isn't that successful it might could have been. I always keep my breeding females in very pureristic set ups without any unnecessary decoration, just 1-2 hides that's all.