Another rescue(?)

spodermin

Arachnosquire
So I just got this B. Albo but it looks very unwell to my unexperienced eye. It's hairs are matted, it's legs are thin.

It was being kept in a box about 8"L x 6"W x 3"H with a half tissue box hide and had not recieved much love in at least a few weeks if not more. I fed it, rehoused it, gave it fresh water, but does anyone know what specifically is wrong with it? (ie. starvation, dehydration, etc) based off the appearance?

It isn't acting particularly weird. It took food right away.

Edit: new pics and info, scroll down. Sex confirmed as female

Attachments

Last edited:

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Definitely looks like it could use some TLC. Just do like you’re doing by keeping it properly. Maybe keep 1/3 of substrate moist and it will use it if it wants it.

Probably had a rough time with improper care. Not sure if identifying exactly what’s wrong is going to change anything as far as what you are doing/need to do? Props to you for taking it in and getting it back on the right track.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Definitely looks like it could use some TLC. Just do like you’re doing by keeping it properly. Maybe keep 1/3 of substrate moist and it will use it if it wants it.

Probably had a rough time with improper care. Not sure if identifying exactly what’s wrong is going to change anything as far as what you are doing/need to do? Props to you for taking it in and getting it back on the right track.
Thanks man. I was more or less just curious if it was reminiscent of one specific health ailment over another. Here's hoping it pulls through

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Huh. What's tripping me out is how its hairs are. It looks like what happens when you take a molt, put it in warm soapy water, and then leave it out to dry. Maybe I'm just not seeing the hairs stick out like they normally would, but if definitely doesn't look right to me. Can you get better photos of the spider? The lighting in this one makes it hard to make out much. I do agree with @Andrea82 , the tarantula in question looks a little leggy. If you could get pictures of the pedipalps, that would be great.

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
Your little new one does look a little worse for wear but not necessarily in dire need. I doubt it's very dehydrated since it ate. Dehydrated T's can't suck up their foods.

Maybe a funky molt happened. It kinda reminds me of a T I had that molted in too small of a space. If that's the case keep up your usual care and see what the next suit looks like.

How big is this one you just bought? Also are you sure it's a B. albopilosum? I was once assured that I was buying one when I was beginning out in the hobby, she's now a good 7.5 inches and and an LP.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This B. albo looked like it had a bad molt. I would make sure it does well and is fed justly. If it molts, let us know. I really want to see what it looks like after a molt since this T. looks like it has been through a crisis of poor husbandry.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I have confirmed it is in fact a female, and a very sickly one at that. Your eyes do not deceive you: the matted hairs and scrawny legs are quite present. It looks to me like a B. Albo, unless you guys think it is definitely something else.

What do you make of that ventral shot? The stomach and lungs look off too... it as an obvious female though....

What do you all recommend I do? I'm going to start by rehousing it one more time today into a nice big enclosure. Make it more comfortable because it didnt move all night but as soon as I opened the enclosure this morning all it wanted to do was crawl all over me and my desk

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I have confirmed it is in fact a female, and a very sickly one at that. Your eyes do not deceive you: the matted hairs and scrawny legs are quite present. It looks to me like a B. Albo, unless you guys think it is definitely something else.

What do you make of that ventral shot? The stomach and lungs look off too... it as an obvious female though....

What do you all recommend I do? I'm going to start by rehousing it one more time today into a nice big enclosure. Make it more comfortable because it didnt move all night but as soon as I opened the enclosure this morning all it wanted to do was crawl all over me and my desk
Like you said, better home and just feed it and care for it the best you can until it molts. I'm sure it will look better its next molt.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have confirmed it is in fact a female, k
It would have been nice to add that to your OP ;) then that fact could have been ruled out as a cause for the condition its in.

That spider looks so...off. The ventral area is swollen/inflated, I have no idea what could cause this. Maybe it was kept on perpetually moist substrate?

I think what matters most is her being comfortable. Keep her warm and quiet and dark. Her crawling out on your hand to me is a sign she hasn't acclimatized enough to feel comfortable in her enclosure. Top of the waterdish, keep her warm and dark for a day or two. I would be moderate in adding moisture to her substrate, dry with a waterdish is fine, I think.

Drea

Arachnosquire
@spodermin May god bless you for taking her in man. She looks far worse than the tweaker ones I got from the sheriffs. They are just skinny and needed food. Yours needs a little bit of everything. She will improve so much after you give her some of your lovin’ and care. Nice save.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I agree with @Andrea82, it just looks nasty. Looks like a very rough molt to me. Hopefully it can perk back up. Almost looks like a preserved spider.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
She looks old to me... very old. She looks very black, which they often tend to do once they are adults, and the loss of setae can happen when they are going years between moults. That would also account for the more distended epigynum area, which can also occur with older females.