Another one saved!!!

Rockstarpets

Arachnopeon
Well I meant to say "I see people on here say don't buy tarantulas from any LPS, even if they are kept correctly."

Not like "Don't buy anything" like dog supplies, crickets, etc.
By what logic do they say that if you don't mind me ask, as I haven't read that on here.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say buy from a good/decent pet store. Money talks.

That's why I buy everything from crickets to dog food an hour away usually. And I buy the $$$ grainless to almost grainless dog food that the bad LPS has only recently started to carry.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It actually does work that way. If the collector sees a diminished demand over time they will stop collecting. Also, responsible stores also carry wild caught animals, so you can channel the animal to one of them instead as well. Unfortunately there is quite literally ZERO regulation of arachnids, so there is nothing legally that can be done, but I'm always a proponent of educating before you get upset; though when they don't accept the education feel free to be as mad as you want!

This just isn't true. As a shop owner, if I know I can't consistently keep an animal alive and healthy i will not carry it any more, or certainly in lower numbers. The animals are not free to the stores that sell them, and if they are losing them consistently (therefore losing money) that just defeats the purpose of business. Besides, if these kinds of places get poor enough patronage they will just go out of business, and then you have saved COUNTLESS.

The best bet is to educate the public and become an advertisment against them. I went as far before becoming involved in the industry to actually paint my car windows accusing a local store of being animal abusers. Enough people do that and it will get the people who don't know better (their meat and potatoes) to really think twice.

My 2 cents!:)

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Important note here. Stores stay open on consumables (feeders and bedding). If you don't approve of the store, don't buy ANYTHING from them, not just animals. Don't support animal neglect.

Please, please, PLEASE do not listen to these people. How do you expect them to be motivated to do things right if it goes unrecognized and unappreciated. Compliment the good stores, and still feel free to give pointers. If everyone shopped at the store who best cared for their animals and based on nothing else, we wouldn't have bad stores.
+1. Well said Rockstarpets.

And +1 to Chris_Skeleton on not supporting bad LPS, but supporting good LPS. There's no reason not to support a good LPS and spread the word about them, so they get more business while the other ones lose out and hopefully close.

Also some other food for thought. So you do decided to "rescue" the tarantula from the store. Well what happens when you go in next time and then there's a new one sitting there in the same terrible conditions? Are you going to rescue that one as well? And the one after that? And after that? And...?

I don't know about you, but I strongly doubt that most people in the hobby would like to collect 30+ Avicularia avicularia or Grammostola rosea(plus that like 80% of them will be pen-ultimate or mature males anyways). If you're looking for a huge number of the same species taking up your space, time, money, resources, etc. then more power to you, but I personally like to diversify my collection.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i have been to a supplier and seen massive amounts of G. rosea, A. avic, H. macs, H.lividums, T. stirmi. Its crazy the amount of imported Ts. All in deli cups in which the barely have room to stretch their legs

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I called the USDA on a pet store once. The conditions were mind-bogglingly atrocious -- I thought they were going to get nailed. A few weeks later I called back and the USDA agent told me there was "no evidence" of inhumane conditions. I still can't believe it :wall:

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I called the USDA on a pet store once. The conditions were mind-bogglingly atrocious -- I thought they were going to get nailed. A few weeks later I called back and the USDA agent told me there was "no evidence" of inhumane conditions. I still can't believe it :wall:
something I might want to note on this, a couple of my friends have had agencies such as OSHA and the EPA investigate their work places in the past. the problem is that these agencies call in advance of their investigation, and thus the problems are fixed well in advance of the inspection and thus no problems are reported.

on the note of not buying T's from LPS's is that apparently most of these are wild caught, which to be honest I wouldn't freak out to much over as all T spiecies in the trade had to be wild caught at one point or another. However certain T's I will not support being wild caught (I.E. endagered).