Another Molt?

Willa

Arachnopeon
I have a juvenile male B. Albo who is both an eating and molting machine! I have had him since February with three molts (and over an inch of growth) on weekly/bimonthly feeding depending on cricket leftovers from other pets. I keep him at room temp, though over the summer my room gets 80-85 degrees because we don't have air conditioning, and now that it's cooling down, my room is between 68-75 degrees. I heard Brachypelma are slow growers, but this guy is breaking the mold so far. No premolt fasting or anything. He's a total pig of a T when it comes to food. I am just lucky enough to have picked out a beast?

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
With warm temps and plenty of food, Brachypelma species can grow relatively fast. My Brachypelma vagans moulted today, despite its last moult only being a few months ago. It was already ~3.5" before the two moults and now looks to be pushing 5"! My B. smithi has moulted twice so far this year too, almost doubling in size (now ~3.5-4"). My room seldom gets above 23-24C though (~73-75F). Your higher temps over the summer are likely the reason behind the fast growth. How big is your spider btw? Slings tend to grow quite quickly then slow down as they reach sub-adult/adult sizes.

Willa

Arachnopeon
Your higher temps over the summer are likely the reason behind the fast growth. How big is your spider btw? Slings tend to grow quite quickly then slow down as they reach sub-adult/adult sizes.
Yeah, I assumed it was the warmer summer temps, but I didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference. I got him at about 2.5-3 in DLS and now he has to be at least 4 all stretched out. He's never in a position that I can measure, but I'll see to it one day.

I'm super interested in B. Vagans. How are they keeping wise?

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I assumed it was the warmer summer temps, but I didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference. I got him at about 2.5-3 in DLS and now he has to be at least 4 all stretched out. He's never in a position that I can measure, but I'll see to it one day.

It can make a big difference, especially if you keep them well fed. Don't be surprised if there's a decent wait for the next moult though now he's starting to get nearer adult size and with your lower temps.

B. vagans are quite similar to B. albo. Mine is quite food aggressive, which is a plus. It looks stunning after a moult as well, with its velvety black legs/carapace and deep red abdomen. Honestly, pictures don't do most Ts justice in terms of colouration. A lot of the colours you see in pictures are 10x more vivid in real life. At least from my experience.

Willa

Arachnopeon
Don't be surprised if there's a decent wait for the next moult though now he's starting to get nearer adult size and with your lower temps.
B. vagans are quite similar to B. albo. Mine is quite food aggressive, which is a plus. It looks stunning after a moult as well
For sure. I was expecting way longer periods between molts, so I'm prepared either way! I just LOVE the way they look the week after the first molt. Their colors are just so rich and intense. My boy turns obsidian and gold for a few days before dulling down a bit. IThe brachypelma group has captured my heart even though I only have one T (total, lol). I am definitely going to get more when I'm working and have more space.

cold blood

Staff member
While many Brachypelma are slow growing, albopilosum are not one of them....being more of a tropical species, they grow faster than any Brachy.

Vagans is the other exception to that slow growth rule....vagans grows and eats with a similar gusto seen in the albo.

Vagans is a bit more high strung though and can even be skittish or defensive....still a beginner species though and not at all difficult for a new keeper to raise.