another male T

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well my usumbara was out and about last night - havnt seen him for a few weeks, he's been moulting into a mature male.

All my T's seem to be male, of all the ones I have big enough to sex they are all male - arghhh.

Anyone else find this or am I just incredibly unlucky to keep buying males? I think in future I will only buy T's that have been sexed as female or a few slings of the same species in the hope that at least one of them will be female.

Anyone know of any dealers in the uk who sex T's before you buy them?

Anyway - anyone in the UK have a female usumbara that my little fella can have his wicked way with? Let me know and I'll send him out.

cheers,

Stu.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
another quick pic of him, this fella needs some lovin :)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Yeah, for a while there almost every sling I bought turned out to be male. Things have turned around though and am only getting about 60% boys now. It's just like gambling when you buy the tiny ones, and sometimes we just get cards like that. If you are looking for females, sometimes it is better to buy 3-4 slings of the same species or buy ones that have been sexed.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had the opposite we always gets females. Like Mendi said its just the luck of the draw :)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Stu - I've got a lovely big adult fem, send him over :)
Email me for address etc.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In any 50/50 system you're not going to get an even split unless you're just extremely good at beating the odds. You will probably have one possible result outweigh the other, you're on the male side. I would also add that because the males for many species grow so much faster and are 100% sexable sooner than females it gives the impression that you're getting a lot of males.

My approach is to always buy 2-4 small slings of any species I genuinely want a female of. It virtually guarantees that I will wind up with an adult of the species and very likely multiples, plus the odds of getting at least one female are much increased. This doesn't cost much more (and usually costs less) than trying to buy a sexed large juvenile or subadult and even that, depending upon the reliability of the dealer, isn't any real guarantee. You read stories all the time about people's "guaranteed females" moulting out with spurs and bulbs.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
I can sympathize... last year I had 3 of my T's become mature males. Two I sent out on breeding loans, one I kept to mate with my own female... and no good egg sacs yet :(

Amanda

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, i'd never thought about the males growing faster - hopefully thats why I seem to have lots of male T's

I think I'll buy maybe 4 - 5 slings at a time like CM said - plus gives me a(nother) great excuse to have more T's in the house :)

Well I'm going to send this little fella down to lopez - will be fun trying to pack him up since I have never packed a T before and he isnt exactly the most docile T I have :)

cheers,

Stu.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have the same problem... you've probably seen me lamenting this sad fact in many threads :)
So far, I've sent out about 13 males on breeding loans, and have not gotten one eggsac either!
It sucks....but I'm sure my luck will turn someday!

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
yeah, i'd never thought about the males growing faster - hopefully thats why I seem to have lots of male T's
<snip>

I remember I used to be really happy when my little slings were taking off and growing fast... For the most part now, I'm happier when they aren't growing very fast and smaller.

...Now that sounds strange coming from a culture where "bigger is better"... ;) :D :cool: