Another ethmostigmus Rubripes added to my collection

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Neat wish I lived in the tropics , though it’s nice not having hurricanes here. Are they hard to care for ?
Not really. They do take some time to get used to as they are large, extremely fast and have an aggression that is reminiscent of Scolopendra subspinipes. Just make sure you have a completely escape proof enclosure, tongs, misting bottle, live food and enclosure accessories (water dish, hides, deep substrate). I think that this specimen may be in premoult as the sides have gone a little waxy looking and she completely refused food today after every possible attempt. She’s already very large so I’m keen to see how big she gets after she moults!!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not really. They do take some time to get used to as they are large, extremely fast and have an aggression that is reminiscent of Scolopendra subspinipes. Just make sure you have a completely escape proof enclosure, tongs, misting bottle, live food and enclosure accessories (water dish, hides, deep substrate). I think that this specimen may be in premoult as the sides have gone a little waxy looking and she completely refused food today after every possible attempt. She’s already very large so I’m keen to see how big she gets after she moults!!!
Dang the only thing I don’t understand is do they need moisture in the substrates like certain Ts ?esp as slings , I can’t get any until I move out probably just due to the speed of these things .

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Dang the only thing I don’t understand is do they need moisture in the substrates like certain Ts ?esp as slings , I can’t get any until I move out probably just due to the speed of these things .
It depends. Ethmostigmus Rubripes as a species is found everywhere in Australia (except Tasmania) including our arid desert regions. The ones I have are found in subtropical and tropical areas of Australia so they need a high amount of humidity. Arid forms; not so much.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
The substrate should be just moist. If it gets too damp, it can lead to mycosis in which the centipede will die if the conditions do not get rectified. Desert specimens however should only need a water dish and a very light mist weekly because these centipedes are very susceptible to mycosis. The substrate should not be damp at all due to those centipedes inhabiting arid regions.

Last edited: