Angelfish, UGH!!

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems everything in my house is meant to have babies :eek: . The angelfish were acting weird last night, I never though much about it, and my hubby shut the light off in the tank. Today, I look, and there are eggs in there, and all but 21 look fertile to me. The parents were protecting them and fanning them. They are on the filter intake tube. I can leave them there, surely they won't survive the brutal "community tank", it also contains 8 neon tetras and a kissing gourami, or I could have a heart, and hatch them into a bare tank.
I sure didn't want them to breed though. This seems to always happen with mammals and fish in this house. last time it was corys, and we ended up with tons of babies, that just kept growing, despite our efforts of pretending they were always part of the tank.
It must be something in the water around here {D

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I had Chichlids that would do that. Severums. They always ended up eating the eggs on the Third day. So I had to take out the eggs and feed them Brineshrimp and all that happy stuff. It was actally pretty fun to watch these teeny oddly shaped things grow into big beautiful Gold Severums!

My friend raised Angels for a long time. Those are REALLY fun. They start off as normal looking fry....then as they get bigger they finally get their angel fish shape!! I suggest you try and raise them if you can!!

Good luck and DONT DRINK THE WATER :D

Michelle

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My daughter had a large breeding pair. Thef ate the babies every time. You can feed them frozen baby brine if you can find it but you need to remove the babies......not easy to do, they are VERY small.

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We are leaving them, we just shut down our other tank due to the motor burning out on the pump, we just didn't want to replace it again (long story how it happened). The parents are protecting the fry, but the other fish are having some luck getting them. If I had the time and energy to get the other tank up again, I would, but we just have so much going on right now. I figure within a couple of days they will be gone though.
I am not drinking the water around here though, I sure as heck don't need any surprises {D

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
A long time ago, my mom had a 30 gallon tank with 2 Angels. A few years later she had two 75 gallon tanks, and three 55 gallon tanks full of Angelfish, along with several other smaller tanks. Those things sure are prolific! She was begging people to take them!