Androctonus bicolor deaths?

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Has anyone ever heard of anyone ever dying from Androctonus bicolor? I haven't heard any specific stories of any fatalities associated with this spec. Has anyone else?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Has anyone ever heard of anyone ever dying from Androctonus bicolor? I haven't heard any specific stories of any fatalities associated with this spec. Has anyone else?
Androctonus bicolor neglected in case studies and epidemiological surveys probably due in part to the synanthropic nature of A. australis, A. crassicauda, and A. mauritanicus that includes higher rate of stings and hospitalizations, and higher rate of severe envenomations and fatalities. Israel and Palestine rate its toxicity significantly lower than A. crassicauda. Another reason could be it has a lower interactions with humans similar to the deadly A. aeneas. And epidemiological surveys and toxin studies basically prioritize the worst offenders.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Give it a go.

If we don't hear anything back from you, we'll all know the answer.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Yeah. "Accidents". I'm just kidding that one was actually an accident
I am aware of three hobbyists that had bad experiences with scorpion envenomation Tex (A. amoreuxi - immediately left the hobby), Russian hobbyist (A. australis - swore to never get stung again), and Bob's friend (L. quinquestriatus - immediately left the hobby, sold Bob his collection). You are definitely pushing your luck and appears now all that matters to you about the hobby is braggadocio.

I have been stung several times by C. gracilis and C. vittatus because I knew they lacked potency and are considered mildly venomous. I have been stung by a subadult H. franzwerneri and it felt like I smashed my thumb with a hammer for several hours but nothing of serious consequence happened - no systemic symptons appeared besides ice cold chills would appear on and off in my thumb.

But when I look at my Leiurus and Androctonus I see creatures that are armed with venom that can kill me if they can deliver a sufficient lethal amount of their venom inside of me. Holy hell no, am I going to disrespect them or treat them like a carnival sideshow freaks. Same goes with any medically significant scorpion especially those that have confirmed human fatalities.

Johnn

Arachnoknight
I am aware of three hobbyists that had bad experiences with scorpion envenomation Tex (A. amoreuxi - immediately left the hobby), Russian hobbyist (A. australis - swore to never get stung again), and Bob's friend (L. quinquestriatus - immediately left the hobby, sold Bob his collection). You are definitely pushing your luck and appears now all that matters to you about the hobby is braggadocio.

I have been stung several times by C. gracilis and C. vittatus because I knew they lacked potency and are considered mildly venomous. I have been stung by a subadult H. franzwerneri and it felt like I smashed my thumb with a hammer for several hours but nothing of serious consequence happened - no systemic symptons appeared besides ice cold chills would appear on and off in my thumb.

But when I look at my Leiurus and Androctonus I see creatures that are armed with venom that can kill me if they can deliver a sufficient lethal amount of their venom inside of me. Holy hell no, am I going to disrespect them or treat them like a carnival sideshow freaks. Same goes with any medically significant scorpion especially those that have confirmed human fatalities.
Well I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a proud person... And yes. I am sorta proud of being stung by my little eight legged friends. But that isn't the reason i get stung, nor is that why I indulge in the hobby. I honestly just like them because they're cool little predators that I can watch utterly destroy a cricket or a little mouse or something like that. I also appreciate the way they look and behave. And I also like them because of their unpredictability and danger they pose to me, even if it be minimal (in general). I find them utterly fascinating and that is why I have them, not for bragging rights.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a proud person... And yes. I am sorta proud of being stung by my little eight legged friends. But that isn't the reason i get stung, nor is that why I indulge in the hobby. I honestly just like them because they're cool little predators that I can watch utterly destroy a cricket or a little mouse or something like that. I also appreciate the way they look and behave. And I also like them because of their unpredictability and danger they pose to me, even if it be minimal (in general). I find them utterly fascinating and that is why I have them, not for bragging rights.
I found this information
the Latin name originates from Greek and means "man killer".
I highly doubt anyone is bitten on purpose, although this guy seemingly was .https://arachnoboards.com/threads/case-study-of-a-scorpion-hobbyist-hospitalized-from-a-dangerous-envenomation-by-his-androctonus-amoreuxi-after-hand-feeding-it.367032/

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Well, you've reconfirm the statistics, lethal stings usually occur in young children, the elderly, and the immune impaired. Envenomations of healthy adults is usually not life threatening and healthy adults usually survive them. But stings should be regarded as potential medical emergencies in case systemic manifestations are severe enough to progress to life threatening potentially fatal clinical sequlae involving acute pulmonary edema, acute heart failure, cardiogenic shock, and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). The hobby needs to be responsible, mature, exemplar, and above all else educational. And why are you offering small mice to your scorpions? To watch them die? Buthidae do not need mice besides they provide way too much food for a single feeding anyways.

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Well, you've reconfirm the statistics, lethal stings usually occur in young children, the elderly, and the immune impaired. Envenomations of healthy adults is usually not life threatening and healthy adults usually survive them. But stings should be regarded as potential medical emergencies in case systemic manifestations are severe enough to progress to life threatening potentially fatal clinical sequlae involving acute pulmonary edema, acute heart failure, cardiogenic shock, and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). The hobby needs to be responsible, mature, exemplar, and above all else educational. And why are you offering small mice to your scorpions? To watch them die? Buthidae do not need mice besides they provide way too much food for a single feeding anyways.
Well I'm talking about feeding emperor scorpions mice. Never fed one to a buthid
but I have thought about feeding them maybe just a little pinky mouse or something

Johnn

Arachnoknight
That is stupid, cruel, and wasteful.
How is it any more cruel than feeding it a cricket and how is it wasteful if it's just a pinky lol? This desert hairy Scorpion is about the same size as a say Androctonus or hottentotta. You don't think it could eat the whole mouse or at least pretty close?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How is it any more cruel than feeding it a cricket and how is it wasteful if it's just a pinky lol? This desert hairy Scorpion is about the same size as a say Androctonus or hottentotta. You don't think it could eat the whole mouse or at least pretty close?
I asked that question here
You could always make a thread for more debate , snakes need mice inverts That’s debatable.
That is stupid, cruel, and wasteful.
Yeah when insect feeders are cheaper and no risk of molting problems. I don’t really see the point in feeding inverts mice. I’d feel kinda bad feeding a pinky can’t say I feel bad for fuzzy mice . I just don’t use mice.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Scorpions do not require mice in their diet. They get greater nutrients and proteins from insects anyways. Insects are more beneficial. Furthermore, we do not know if crickets and other insects can even feel pain and if they do if it is even at the level of mammals but scorpions are highly venomous to insects. Their venom is quite humane pardon the pun. I remember seeing a video uploaded on YouTube made by a Egyptian importer where he put a few rodents in with a few deathstalkers it took multiple stings to put the rodents down for good. In the meantime, they would squeal and hop with each sting and huddle frantically rubbing their paws together. Eventually they collapsed with what looked like their hearts exploding in their chests and looked like they were gasping for air.

Johnn

Arachnoknight
Scorpions do not require mice in their diet. They get greater nutrients and proteins from insects anyways. Insects are more beneficial. Furthermore, we do not know if crickets and other insects can even feel pain and if they do if it is even at the level of mammals but scorpions are highly venomous to insects. Their venom is quite humane pardon the pun. I remember seeing a video uploaded on YouTube made by a Egyptian importer where he put a few rodents in with a few deathstalkers it took multiple stings to put the rodents down for good. In the meantime, they would squeal and hop with each sting and huddle frantically rubbing their paws together. Eventually they collapsed with what looked like their hearts exploding in their chests and looked like they were gasping for air.
Well this far, as Ive said Ive only fed mice to P. imperators and they typically kill them with their claws, which is over pretty quickly

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Well this far, as Ive said Ive only fed mice to P. imperators and they typically kill them with their claws, which is over pretty quickly
But there is no viable reason to feed a Buthid a fuzzie or even a pinkie because insects are more loaded with nutrients and proteins.

Johnn

Arachnoknight
But there is no viable reason to feed a Buthid a fuzzie or even a pinkie because insects are more loaded with nutrients and proteins.
Ok maybe not. I'm not saying I ever will... Just that I kinda find the idea entertaining