Androctonus australis? (Yellow Fat Tail Scorpion)

Khagra

Arachnosquire
Anyone have experience with this species? My last two scorpions have passed away sadly, and I'm thinking about taking on Androctonis australis as I am completely enamored with the way they look. There doesn't seem to be anyone near me that sells them, so I'm curious about average price for this species and how easy they are to care for.

I have prior experience with h petersii, p imperator, and hadrurus arizonensis. Is the fattail scorpion care much more difficult?

NYAN

Arachnoking
The care is easy. You can keep them similar to the H. arizonensis. However, they will need warmer temperatures. They can tolerate temps in the upper 90s but you can keep them high 80s.

I’m sure you’re aware, but I’ll still mention it. This species has venom that is far more dangerous than anything you’ve kept. They can also be pretty defensive. Don’t be stupid with them and you won’t get stung.

I don’t know where you are from so I cannot comment on the price. Also what caused your other scorpions to die?

Sillver

Arachnosquire
Like NYAN said temps at 80-90 Fahrenheit, the are defensive and use tongs when you do anything with it or its enclosure.

For me it doesn't matter how strong/dangerous a scorpions venom is I always use tongs for anything.

Also I will probably get a Androctonus australis Tunisia next month, among otherthings. I just love that paleness that bleeds into black on it.

Last edited:

Khagra

Arachnosquire
The care is easy. You can keep them similar to the H. arizonensis. However, they will need warmer temperatures. They can tolerate temps in the upper 90s but you can keep them high 80s.

I’m sure you’re aware, but I’ll still mention it. This species has venom that is far more dangerous than anything you’ve kept. They can also be pretty defensive. Don’t be stupid with them and you won’t get stung.

I don’t know where you are from so I cannot comment on the price. Also what caused your other scorpions to die?
Yes, I am definitely aware of the strength of the venom of this particular species. I usually use tongs for dealing with my scorpions regardless, so I am not too worried about it. Should be easy to do most tank maintenance without bothering them anyway, it's a 25g tank.

My last two scorpions were both hadrurus arizonensis. One got stuck in molt and died, that one was particularly rough for me because I couldn't do anything to help it. The second I'd had for three years, bought from a local store that caught them in the wild, not sure how old it was but I suspect it died of old age. Ate regularly, no unusual behavior. Went two weeks without eating then found it dead in it's burrow.

Edit: I live in Arizona, and keep my house at about 80 degrees normally, so I think they'd do well with just a heat lamp or pad on one side of the tank so they can switch between cooler, warmer side. yeah?