An Blue Death-Feigning Beetle Just Emerged from Pupation! Success!

mechchic84

Arachnopeon
That's freaking awesome! I love these little guys. I originally bought two as clean up crews for my Hadrurus arizonensis, but the Scorp is pretty much a pet hole and the beetles are so much fun to watch. Because of this, I really wanted more, so now I have five of them and a smooth black death feigning beetle that was mixed in with them at the expo so the vendor tossed him in too for an extra $10.

I do have a quick question though, I know they turn black when they get wet, but should I do anything if they have so much of the waxy build up that they are starting to look white?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's freaking awesome! I love these little guys. I originally bought two as clean up crews for my Hadrurus arizonensis, but the Scorp is pretty much a pet hole and the beetles are so much fun to watch. Because of this, I really wanted more, so now I have five of them and a smooth black death feigning beetle that was mixed in with them at the expo so the vendor tossed him in too for an extra $10.

I do have a quick question though, I know they turn black when they get wet, but should I do anything if they have so much of the waxy build up that they are starting to look white?
Thank you!!
they really are engaging, aren’t they? There is no need to worry about excessive secretion...just make sure they are getting enough hydration in their diet and they should be fine.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Huge congratulations Rus! This is a fantastic development for the hobby and for conservation in general of this species. I'm so glad it turned out for you so well!
Hope the rest of your larvae make it to adulthood, and that you have repeatable success with this species far into the future.
I am dreaming of seeing CB specimens replacing WC specimens already...

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Huge congratulations Rus! This is a fantastic development for the hobby and for conservation in general of this species. I'm so glad it turned out for you so well!
Hope the rest of your larvae make it to adulthood, and that you have repeatable success with this species far into the future.
I am dreaming of seeing CB specimens replacing WC specimens already...

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts
Thank you! I really appreciate that. May hope is that this will encourage many others to breed them as well! They may never be particularly profitable, but hopefully we can at least get a lot of CB BDFBs circulating among dedicated hobbyists. 😊👍

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Congratulations, glad to see this was a success! Hoping to try and breed some A.laevis here soon... 😁

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I am so excited for you! This notice came across my email today and I couldn't wait to get to my laptop and find out more. I'm off to watch the YouTube now. Congratulations!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am so excited for you! This notice came across my email today and I couldn't wait to get to my laptop and find out more. I'm off to watch the YouTube now. Congratulations!
thank you Mickie! It has been quite the roller coaster, but so far the beetle is doing well! Just last night, I saw it munching on a cricket, which is the first I have seen it eat.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I once woke up to a drowned BDFB as well. I thought he was dead for sure, but he also got back up after a few hours. Hardy little tanks.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
thank you!! I hope you crack the code on A.laevis!
Thanks, should be quite similar to A.verrucosus I think, just seems like no one has bothered trying to breed them before. Might need a finer sand substrate than verrucosus, but other than that I'm expecting their care will be the same.

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
Congrats Rus! Only a few people on the planet can say they've successfully reared blue death-feigners, and you're one of them!