American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Last year, overwhelming Congressional and public support led to the approval of the Horse Slaughter Amendment as part of the 2006 Agriculture Appropriations Bill. The amendment barred expenditure of federal funds to inspect horses going to slaughter from March 10 through September 30, 2006. Without the inspections, the slaughter plants cannot slaughter horses for human consumption.

Under the petition, the slaughterhouses will now pay USDA to execute the inspections, thus circumventing the law and the will of the American public. As a result, tens of thousands of horses will die."

Please visit this link and lend your support to the Horse Slaughter Prevention Act.

Click Here

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Whats wrong with eating horses? The horse meat is tender and I honestly dont see a difference between eating a horse from eating a cow.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Horse Burger

Meat is meat. I dont see where a horse rates higher than a cow , deer or bison. I does rate above a pig however as they arent fit to eat. but then again thats me. I do understand that people would not want to eat thier horse as they are prett good friends to people who need a horse but still its an animal just liek a cow. Either stop slaughtering cows or give up on the horse ban

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Drachenjager said:
a horse but still its an animal just liek a cow.
I always think that arguement is funny because humans are animals just like cows nomatter what people think :).Still, i do agree that a horse is no better than a cow (i dont believe in "higher animals"). I just dont like the mass slaughter of it all and how they become just property or something frivolous. I honestly dont know whether or not to show support.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mass slaughter

I dont know about mass slaughter of horses for human consumption, i have never seen anyplace to buy horse meat. I can comment on that. Its just hard for me to back a ban on slaughtering one animal for human comsumption if you dont ban all. If you ban all of them however ill be hunting cows lol

MicahHall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In America, the horse was seen as a companion, co-worker, or decoration.. but in Japan ( which is where almost 90% of our slaughter horses go ), the horse is food. A big stink was raised when Kentucky Derby winner Ferdinand, who was a gelding so useless for breeding, became a Japanese dinner.
Here in Ohio, I am living on the travel route to a very large "killer-auction" and frequently see USDA people stopping trailers on the highway to inspect what they are carrying.
As to eating a horse, cow, buffalo, or even bambi.. I wouldnt say yes or no to anyone.. its my own personal choice to not eat a horse, although I will be taking a closer look at the menu the next time I go to get Japanese food.
I do support several horsie funds, including but not limited to CANTER, TRA, and the Mustang and Burro fund. The mustangs especially are our history.. I believe we should be protecting them, not eating them. However, numbers must be culled, and if they arent adoptable, eating them is much better than watching them starve to death because there range has no food. ( The Mrs. Hall)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MicahHall said:
In America, the horse was seen as a companion, co-worker, or decoration.. but in Japan ( which is where almost 90% of our slaughter horses go ), the horse is food. A big stink was raised when Kentucky Derby winner Ferdinand, who was a gelding so useless for breeding, became a Japanese dinner.
Here in Ohio, I am living on the travel route to a very large "killer-auction" and frequently see USDA people stopping trailers on the highway to inspect what they are carrying.
As to eating a horse, cow, buffalo, or even bambi.. I wouldnt say yes or no to anyone.. its my own personal choice to not eat a horse, although I will be taking a closer look at the menu the next time I go to get Japanese food.
I do support several horsie funds, including but not limited to CANTER, TRA, and the Mustang and Burro fund. The mustangs especially are our history.. I believe we should be protecting them, not eating them. However, numbers must be culled, and if they arent adoptable, eating them is much better than watching them starve to death because there range has no food. ( The Mrs. Hall)
Not only in Japan are they seen as food. However Japan eat very little red meat overall. In Sweden horses are kept as pets or used as raceanimals which end their days as a stud or as food.

MicahHall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was only stating a fact as was posted on one of the rescue sites.. Im sure that lots of places view horses as food.. a 1000 lb plus animal of any type can produce alot of meat that can feed alot of people.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you dont believe horse slaughter should be banned thats fine. I posted this for the horse people in the boards. Either way.

The problem I have with horse slaughter is that it is extremely inhumane. I have been to the auctions where they sell them for meat, and the way the horses are treated is pretty horrific manner. As a horse lover, it was heart breaking.

Of course, I dont think any animal should be treated in such a way.
If yall would like, Im sure I can find a link to a petition on cattle slaughter, and others.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just think

you are a horse,
the horse is a human,
human makes the rules,
the human want to eat horse meat,
you remember that you are the horse,
they will kill you even you help them,
they will kill you even you carry heavy things for them,
they will kill you even you obey them,
they will kill you just for meat.

will you be happy if you where a horse?

cows just eat,
for they will be killed for meat,
have you ever seen a man riding a cow on the town,
have you ever seen a cow draging a cart w/ your things,
have you ever seen a cow obeying you,
have you ever seen a cow killed for meat, Yes...

cows just eat,
for they will be killed for meat.

and also,
horses says,
"Whats wrong with eating human? The human meat is tender and I honestly dont see a difference between eating a human from eating a cow."

Last edited:

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I think that the point here is that most horse owners/lovers view horses as compainion animals like cats and dogs. They'd like to see horses have that same right. I personally agree, I hate the idea of horses being eaten. I would never, and have never eat horse meat. If people do, I dont judge or hate them for it. I just ask that the horses are treated humanly. Of course I also want that for any animal used for food, cows, chickens, whatever.... (I only eat chicken and fish myself)

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
People are against eating horse in the US because of the differing cultural views of the animals, and the same thing goes for dogs and cats. But they're all made of meat, and we're not choosing based on intelligence. If we were, pigs wouldn't be food, as they're brighter than horses, dogs or cats.

We base it more on what's tasty, and what's cute. Horsies and puppies and kitties are such cutie bunchkins that we can't possibly eat them, but fat ugly pigs and cows are fair game for having their brains mashed a bit to stop them moving and being sawn into chunks because we like their flavor.

If you're against eating meat, fine. If you're against just eating horses, your position is hypocritical at best.

I think I'll go fry up a porksteak.

Last edited:

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ew yuck!!!

i just remember the video i watched it was tittled faces of death (forgot the number!)

there was an asian who ates puppies...
the father of the family choose the fatest and cutest puppy in the world...

poor puppy...

it got its belly in half and all of the internal where cooked...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i dont want to remember the video...

ok just dont mind me ok?

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The_Phantom said:
I think that the point here is that most horse owners/lovers view horses as compainion animals like cats and dogs. They'd like to see horses have that same right. I personally agree, I hate the idea of horses being eaten. I would never, and have never eat horse meat. If people do, I dont judge or hate them for it. I just ask that the horses are treated humanly. Of course I also want that for any animal used for food, cows, chickens, whatever.... (I only eat chicken and fish myself)

I agree with you completely. My dad is an equine veterinarian, and I have worked with him most of my life. It was always about saving the horses, making their lives better. Also, I have had a horse as a companion my whole life, I was given my first pony on the day I was born, and she is still alive today. I just dont see them as a food animal, because of these things.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Mistwalker said:
If you're against eating meat, fine. If you're against just eating horses, your position is hypocritical at best.
Im against myself eating it. I said I dont judge others if they do. I wouldnt dream of eating it personally. I just dont want to see ANY animal treated inhumanely.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I am personally against mass slaughter houses of ANY kind, including but not limited to equine. Hence the fact that I only eat meat that we personally butcher ourselves, or that our neighbors do. Also, I do see horses, dogs, and cats as pets, so I'm not really interested in consuming them. I certainly won't judge others for doing so however. I just have a real problem with the way slaughterhouses work. Once I bought
and read this book, I decided to not support factory farming

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
I am personally against mass slaughter houses of ANY kind, including but not limited to equine. Hence the fact that I only eat meat that we personally butcher ourselves, or that our neighbors do. Also, I do see horses, dogs, and cats as pets, so I'm not really interested in consuming them. I certainly won't judge others for doing so however. I just have a real problem with the way slaughterhouses work. Once I bought

Im with you, I buy all of my meat at a local butcher shop. Its family owned, and they get all of their meat from local farmers, and butcher it themselves. All of the cattle in this area are range fed, we simply dont have the natural resources for cramped, close packed farms. Occationally we will butcher one of the cattle that live on our ranch, but thats mostly on special occations, most of them just get to live their lives out there, roaming free over 600 acres, they definatly seem to enjoy it, lol.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
Once again, Holly, you are my role model :worship: