Amblypygi and Uropygi

Maikardaaion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hypoctonus, Mastigoproctus and Heterophrynus

Hypoctonus rangunensis, probably female, eats ferociously and sprays the vinegaroon at any sign of the slightest denger.

Mastigoproctus proscorpio, hatchling after it's first moult. Species from the Caribbean.

And what I'm most proud of ;) Heterophrynus of an unknown species name :) it looks gorgeus anyway :)

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what planet did those come from lol
they are some far out lookin bugs

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have long admired vinegaroons and tailless whipscorpions and I think I'd have to say that your pictures are the most stunning examples I've seen. Amazing!! :clap:
-Nick

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
very nice stuff !!!! :drool: :drool:

can ya tell us more abou the locationdata of the others ?

Maikardaaion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very nice stuff !!!! :drool: :drool:

can ya tell us more abou the locationdata of the others ?
I wish I knew ;) All these creachers I obtained at the recent Kornwesheim fair. As far as I know Heterophrynus is captive breed and the parents came from somwhere in Brazil (I got them from T. Vinmann). Mastigoproctus is a Caribbean :) and Hypoctonus comes from somwhere in Asia ;) No more I know.

Males of Amblypygids have larger claws, males of Uropygids except of having the larger claws, when adult have a charachteristic processus on the claws. I wish I could make a photo of my Typopeltis crucifer male but he run away recently. Of course the sexes differ when looking underneath the abdomen... There was a pretty photo (here at arachnoboards) showing the difference.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have some T. crucifer, could you perhaps explain how to sex them in detail? i would LOVE to know about this! Great photos!

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ganoderma in case you cannot find the mentioned sexing photo, drop me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, silly question maybe.. How do you coax the Heterophrynus onto your hand? Do you tap it from behind and it walks on? I read they are fragile and can lose legs easily. How do you keep it calm?

Fantastic pictures. I love them :)

Maikardaaion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ganoderma: since the male I had escaped and remains uncatchable till now I won't be able to take a picture. If You still didn't find "the photo", PM me ;)

Aunt Ant: Actualy it wasn't difficult to persuade him to climb my hand. As You wrote, You tap him from the side and give him the other hand to climb on. Keeping him calm is also not difficult, if not bothered they don't run.

Steven Gielis: Certainly not. The one that is on the photos was said to be 5th moult. I have no idea what size will they reach.

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wonderful Photos!!!

Those are wonderful photos:clap: :clap: :clap: The more I look at them the more interest I have in working with these fascinating arachnids:cool: The
Heterophrynus sp. is just amazing:drool: Too bad we can't get them here in hobby just yet:(

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are some awesome amblypygids. I got babies from my D. diadema this summer and to my surprise the other night I noticed that she has eggs again!!!! She produced 42 babies last time. We'll see if I get more the next time around... Does anybody have any clue about how long they live? So far I'm assuming well over 3 years. I also was told my female would have to molt again before breeding, but I guess this isn't so.

NewGriot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey JesseD

Can`t say about the lifespan, I think 3-5 years, but D.diadema can surely give birth more times before next molting, that`s for sure (My diadema girl did it).

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those are some awesome amblypygids. I got babies from my D. diadema this summer and to my surprise the other night I noticed that she has eggs again!!!! She produced 42 babies last time. We'll see if I get more the next time around... Does anybody have any clue about how long they live? So far I'm assuming well over 3 years. I also was told my female would have to molt again before breeding, but I guess this isn't so.

Good to hear Jesse. I guess they can have multiple sets then, mine never have. My females always molt before laying a new set of eggs. Guess you learn something new all the time.

mike

Grampus

Arachnopeon
Hi, I am just now getting into keeping uropygi, and it would be immensely appreciated if you took a look at my post (link below), which has a bunch of questions about keeping one. From reading your posts, I can see that you really know your stuff and it would be great if you could help me out in how to best care for them.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=90429

Thanks,
Andrew

bichoscolombia

Arachnopeon
Hi and information

Hi Jesse...My english in not perfect but i'll try to do my best!

I just finished my first book about arachnids of Colombia, and the amblypygids can live until 10 years or more, having a molt every 1-3 years and they never stops to grow up, because they not have a terminal molt

I have an female amblypygi, pregnat, since some weeks ago, but i don't know nothing about the gestational period.

Do you know something about this?

Could you help me please?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
for Damon diadema I think gestatation is somewhere around 6-8 months.