Amblypigid Breeding Colony

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm working on setting up a communal tailless whip scorpion tank, and I had a quick question about sex ratios.

Is the rule one male to a tank? Or could I have, say, two males and three females?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First make sure that they are adults as the juveniles care very cannibalistic. As for your question, I haven't heard of any optimal ratios, but I suppose that it depends if you want two separate breeding lives to cross over later or not?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It depends on the species. However, since I imagine you're talking about Damon it's just 1 male per cage.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys, I'll stick with just one male.

The dealer's website says they measure "1.5 inches and up" right now (I believe it's referring to the width of the pedipalps.) Is that an adult size? I was under the impression that the juviniles were quite social and often huddled together... is this not the case?

Last edited:

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The one male per cage ratio I have proven wrong in multiple breeding colonies.

At the moment I have 4 males and 3 gravid females, and 2 unsexed together in a large tank. Previously I had 2 males and 2 females in a 30 gallon for an extended period of time.

The key is enough hiding places and vertical surfaces. My suggestion is to get or make a background out of foam or cork bark on atleast one side of your tank, and preferably a vertically orientated tank. Give them lots of cover and lots of hiding spaces and you'll end up with mature pairs sharing an area, or a dominant female making sure everyone keeps their space.

Rule of thumb for Damon diadema or similar species is 10 gallons per amblypygid, that is with a vertical, climbable background. If you have a larger tank and increase the surface area by placing a background on 3 sides you may get away with 2 tailless whips per 10 gallons for an extended period of time. The more hiding spots the better... just don't expect to see them often during the day.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Suppose I decided to keep them separate to avoid casualties. Would a pair mate as soon as they were introduced (Like tarantulas?) or would they need to live together for a while?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have some GREAT info for you:

Go to this link:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/index.html#roaches

Then scroll down the page and order this inexpensive book:

Whipscorpions and Whipspiders: Culturing Gentle Monsters
Includes anatomy, courtship and reproduction, feeding and species lists.
40pp. +2 color plates. Paperback.
Author: O. McMonigle

I have ordered a few books from this web page, and each one was worth every penny. I am suprised more people dont have all of these books, really.
;)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Suppose I decided to keep them separate to avoid casualties. Would a pair mate as soon as they were introduced (Like tarantulas?) or would they need to live together for a while?
It takes them time to get acclimated to each other. They also tend to have a breeding season, or atleast mine do in their tank.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am nowhere near as successful as Abraxas(waiting on my female to molt before trying again) but here is my two cents.

They do ok communally but their is always the risk of cannibalism(have seen it at the petstore with their group) and one knocking the other off the corkbark while molting. They mate quite readily when placed together. You could put the male into the female's cage for a month or two, and then remove him after he's deposited a good number of spermatophores.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am nowhere near as successful as Abraxas(waiting on my female to molt before trying again) but here is my two cents.

They do ok communally but their is always the risk of cannibalism(have seen it at the petstore with their group) and one knocking the other off the corkbark while molting. They mate quite readily when placed together. You could put the male into the female's cage for a month or two, and then remove him after he's deposited a good number of spermatophores.
Sounds great. I'll keep them seperate untill I'm ready to breed them.

If I can get them, that is. :}

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems I can't get them after all, but I'll keep all of your advice in mind for when I do find some.

Thanks again!