Amazon Sapphire Pink Toe

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
I’m new to tarantulas, and I’m really in love with the Avicularia diversipes. I would love to have it as my first T but I've been reading mixed things on having it as my first. Would it be an okay first? Is it just a little more defensive which makes it a bit difficult?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
It's Ybyrapora diversipes now. There was a revision of the Avicularia genus quite some time ago. Their care is the same as Avics and Caribena species, but my understanding is they may be less forgiving of husbandry mistakes and are a bit more defensive. You might be better off seeing if you can successfully raise an Avic or Caribena first, then having a go with the Y. diversipes.

Also, make sure you get your husbandry info from on here, not a pet store or other online care sheet. The link the the Avic husbandry thread should be in the Beginner Thread Guide in the Tarantula Questions and Discussions section

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
This is anecdotal of course, but my Y. diversipes is the only Avicularinae (subfamily including Avicularia, Caribeba, Ybyrapora and I think others) out of 4 to have given me a threat pose.... and its only a juvenile. It has also been the most skittish during rehousing.

I care for all my Avicularinae the same way. Dry substrate, water dish and a little spray of water once a week on the web if it's in premolt... if it eats, I dont give web water. These forums are a good source of information. Avicularinae are a bit more fragile as slings if improperly cared for, so doing research and understanding their care is extra important. For what it's worth, my second was a C. versicolor sling.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ybyrapora and Iridopelma are at the faster/crankier end of the Aviculariinae spectrum. I'd recommend A. avicularia or C. versicolor as a first arboreal.

The following threads may also be of use to you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m new to tarantulas, and I’m really in love with the Avicularia diversipes. I would love to have it as my first T but I've been reading mixed things on having it as my first. Would it be an okay first? Is it just a little more defensive which makes it a bit difficult?
Nothing mixed- the species is zippy and certainly is more defensive- get a versi

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I think I’m probably going to get a pink toe. I’m up for a challenge and patient but it’s probably best to start with something a little easier 😊

Nothing mixed- the species is zippy and certainly is more defensive- get a versi
Thanks! I’m probably going to get the A. avicularia, better to start with an easier T. Thanks for the threads as well!!

Ybyrapora and Iridopelma are at the faster/crankier end of the Aviculariinae spectrum. I'd recommend A. avicularia or C. versicolor as a first arboreal.

The following threads may also be of use to you.

Thanks! Probably going to get the pink toe for my first 😊

This is anecdotal of course, but my Y. diversipes is the only Avicularinae (subfamily including Avicularia, Caribeba, Ybyrapora and I think others) out of 4 to have given me a threat pose.... and its only a juvenile. It has also been the most skittish during rehousing.

I care for all my Avicularinae the same way. Dry substrate, water dish and a little spray of water once a week on the web if it's in premolt... if it eats, I dont give web water. These forums are a good source of information. Avicularinae are a bit more fragile as slings if improperly cared for, so doing research and understanding their care is extra important. For what it's worth, my second was a C. versicolor sling.
Thank you! I didn’t realize the classification had changed and I’m really glad to know, I think I’m going to get a pink toe for my first, I still got quite a bit of learning to do before I get it but I’m really excited 😊

It's Ybyrapora diversipes now. There was a revision of the Avicularia genus quite some time ago. Their care is the same as Avics and Caribena species, but my understanding is they may be less forgiving of husbandry mistakes and are a bit more defensive. You might be better off seeing if you can successfully raise an Avic or Caribena first, then having a go with the Y. diversipes.

Also, make sure you get your husbandry info from on here, not a pet store or other online care sheet. The link the the Avic husbandry thread should be in the Beginner Thread Guide in the Tarantula Questions and Discussions section

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! I’m probably going to get the A. avicularia, better to start with an easier T. Thanks for the threads as well!!
Before you buy it, set up your cage and post pics of it in a thread here. Read up on these first, post Qs here first before you get it. They are easy to raise, but have narrow tolerance for mistakes, which is why of any genus, this one is always dying in new owners hands.

maniacaxel

Arachnopeon
That was the plan! I really appreciate all the information 😊 I really want to have everything right before I get it, I’d feel awful if I wasn’t prepared and it died because of it

Before you buy it, set up your cage and post pics of it in a thread here. Read up on these first, post Qs here first before you get it. They are easy to raise, but have narrow tolerance for mistakes, which is why of any genus, this one is always dying in new owners hands.