water and sponge
ive heard that smells never tried it but if it does im not prepared to
using oranges
i can do this
its just a price of oranges
if anyone has any other ways of hydrating roaches i would love to hear{D

webbedone

Arachnobaron
even the crappy flukers 10 something dollar bottle of water gel lasts about 2-3 months in the roach bin. Regadless of that anyways cut away at your old vegies and fruit, besides orages make dubia hump faster!

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Water crystals are expensive?

http://home-garden.shop.ebay.co.uk/...f=1&_sac=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

You could buy a 50g bag of crystals which would make about 7.5 liters of water gel for about £3 before shipping. That could last you for at least two months if kept in the refrigerator.

My conversion could be off as I'm use to American measuring and I'm using Google to translate to metric.
That's what I was thinking. I do give fruits and veggies. Even if you only gave scraps like apple cores and such. The crystals cost me $1.00 per oz. (makes a gallon) shipped. A gallon lasts quite a while.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
here is the place to go to get water crystals...very cheap.you will want the polymer crystals....www.watergelcrystals.com
I bought a 2lb ($21) bag from this place well over a year ago and I haven't yet used 1/4 of it. Water crystals are only expensive if you buy them in a jar already hydrated from your pet store. Buying a bulk bag (even a small one) is pretty much the cheapest possible solution short of just giving them tap water. You will have to add water, which is as easy as... adding water.

You should still suppliment with fruit and veggies but bulk water crystal is uber-cheap and a good, safe water source as long as you keep it fresh.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i hear ya...i bought the same amount, and its been about 6 months maybe, i have used like a gallon and a half....and have enough to make 32 gallons....

I bought a 2lb ($21) bag from this place well over a year ago and I haven't yet used 1/4 of it. Water crystals are only expensive if you buy them in a jar already hydrated from your pet store. Buying a bulk bag (even a small one) is pretty much the cheapest possible solution short of just giving them tap water. You will have to add water, which is as easy as... adding water.

You should still suppliment with fruit and veggies but bulk water crystal is uber-cheap and a good, safe water source as long as you keep it fresh.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But there have been a great many debates as to how healthy these crystals are for feeders or your pets, I never use them and old produce is cheap no matter who you are, they don't need water, and oranges, and wet fruit or veggies are fine, so if I were you, forget the water crystals, tap water contains all sorts of bacteria and if you do not use the water crystals you rehydrated that week, who knows what is growing in that container...

akpropst

Arachnopeon

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But there have been a great many debates as to how healthy these crystals are for feeders or your pets, I never use them and old produce is cheap no matter who you are, they don't need water, and oranges, and wet fruit or veggies are fine, so if I were you, forget the water crystals, tap water contains all sorts of bacteria and if you do not use the water crystals you rehydrated that week, who knows what is growing in that container...
I agree with this, especially with relatively long lived inverts like B. dubia. Besides that water crystals in the B. dubia's bin can become a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria and flies unless it is changed very regularly.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
using oranges
i can do this
oranges seem affordable and enough to keep them hydrated
Sorry, this has me confused.

Agree 100%. I use crystals as needed, but avoid using them exclusively.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well ive been looking for different ways to hydrate my dubias
i know about water gel
thats expensive
even the refill packs i can only order that from online
water and sponge
ive heard that smells never tried it but if it does im not prepared to
using oranges
i can do this
if anyone has any other ways of hydrating roaches i would love to hear{D
Water gel is not expensive, even if you buy the ready made stuff it's only a few quid a pot?

Lawnmower599

Arachnosquire
i know many may say that water gel is affordable
i dont work as i am not even close to finishing school
and dont really get pocket money

my parents buy oranges so i could just use them

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you don't think £4 for 100g of water crystals (which, when hydrated will produce 25 LITRES of bug gel!) is affordable then maybe you should find a cheaper hobby. Like sleeping or something.