Alternative food sources?

theroober

Arachnopeon
I have noticed that the smaller crickets no longer satisfy my l. parahybana. Without thinking it through I bought some adult crickets and brought them home. I now remember that crickets chirp. A lot. For now they are in my basement but I'm not sure they will live long down there. I may experiment with freezing one to see if the T will accept it. What other options do I have? I can't have a box of crickets chirping all night.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is that your only t? Maintaining a roach colony is always an option but kind of a lot of trouble for just one lil guy.

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Roaches, but try a sample first. Not all ts eats them. Hornworms, superworms

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you can find them local lots of roach breeders that breed large roaches may be willing to keep you supplied will mature males. If you know other keepers in your area, offer to split cost on a breeding group in return for feeders as needed. Get more animals, T's, scorpions, centipedes, frogs, turtles, and some types of lizards will all eat roaches and you can breed your own. Dubias size from 1/4 inch to over 2 inches so can feed slings through adults. Hissers grow even larger and breed slower. All have better meat to shell ratio than crickets and are usually much cleaner.
Rev

theroober

Arachnopeon
Yep my first and only. Roaches are an option if I can find a local supplier but I don't want to maintain a colony. Are mealworms okay for a main diet? I have read that they are not very nutritional.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not all spiders will eat meal worms. They have a habit of burrowing in the substrate and out of site

kc7wdg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have to use crickets ask your pet store if they get them for you to get you only female crickets. That's what I do I hate the chirping noise it drive's me buggy. easy to tell a female to they have the long thick tube coming out of their butt. {D

theroober

Arachnopeon
ha I wondered why some of them have those tubes..I'll ask about the females and see if they have any roaches or worms next time..If not I may have to order some.

theroober

Arachnopeon
this is a different topic but has anyone had problems with crickets laying eggs in the tarantula cage? I had a female acting really weird and almost sitting upright with the tube in the ground.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
this is a different topic but has anyone had problems with crickets laying eggs in the tarantula cage? I had a female acting really weird and almost sitting upright with the tube in the ground.
Yeah, she was laying eggs. When I was still getting crickets i'd buy them in a bag instead of the "lunchbox". This way I got just enough and I could put them in a clean, dry cage at home. They last a little longer that way and I can get some good food in them before the T eats 'em. Still, crickets are waayyyy too death-prone for me. I'll take roaches that live as adults for over a year rather than crickets that die on day 17 like they had a frikkin' alarm clock up their butt...

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My larger Ts love pinkie mice. I have a female G. pulchra and a female G. aureostriata that have both been mated and are bulking up for the big egg sac. Pinkies are steroids for Ts, but they may be DQed from Olympic Events in China.

Last edited:

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not all spiders will eat meal worms. They have a habit of burrowing in the substrate and out of site

Yeah and then you have to dig the damn things up out of ur most undesirable T tanks to be digging around in:mad: lol (from experience)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A lot of people will tell you that superworms aren't suitable as a staple. They're fatty, empty calories so I hear. Good for bulking up after a molt or whatever but not sufficient alone as a feeder.

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know how can u feed mealworms without being wasted put a pot clay make sure it has no holes then it should be at least 1.5 inches high then also make sure that ur T would fit in widely then put the meal worms their then they cant dig any more well thats what ive done!:clap:

theroober

Arachnopeon
Well I dont think it's big enough for pinkies yet. It has grown very fast but its still only about 3 inches. I'm thinking about getting some roaches. How many should I get to start a small colony I just need something that will last for atleast a couple months. And what is a good species? I was thinking the dubias because they can't climb. Also should I do anything about the eggs that the cricket layed? I keep the tank pretty dry and just keep the waterdish full so they may not hatch anyway.