All that have been bitten:

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm curious about two things. I've never been bitten (knocks on wood) so I wonder:

-How do you keep from jerking your hand when being bitten and sending your T flying across the room to almost certain death?

- And how do you convince them to remove their fangs from you and put them safely back in their enclosure without getting bit again?

Thanks for the input. I've had T's for a few years now, and hope to not be bitten, but to assume it will never happen is ignorant. So I'd like to be prepped for the occasion. :)

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm curious about two things. I've never been bitten (knocks on wood) so I wonder:

-How do you keep from jerking your hand when being bitten and sending your T flying across the room to almost certain death?

- And how do you convince them to remove their fangs from you and put them safely back in their enclosure without getting bit again?

Thanks for the input. I've had T's for a few years now, and hope to not be bitten, but to assume it will never happen is ignorant. So I'd like to be prepped for the occasion. :)
I've never been bitten either :)D ) but if I were this would probably be my take. If you are bitten it's likely to be lightening fast and the T has rocketed elsewhere before you realize what's happened. Even if this isn't the case the pain is more like having hot pepper sauce injected into you (I understand there is a similarity between how T venom and hot peppers affect pain receptors) as opposed to the excruciating sensation caused by, say, a wasp sting. I'm not saying it's not painful, but on some levels the immediate pain is not too bad. Depending on the species and load dropped it is what happens after the fact that is highly unpleasant.

Catching the T afterwards is like catching any T. If it's still hacked off catch it as you would any hacked off T. Cupping it usually works for me. This all being said I have a high tolerance for pain. As a kid I had to get allergy shots on a weekly basis. To this day I have no problem watching myself being injected (flu shot, etc.) or watching blood be drawn from me. I wouldn't look forward to having huge blondi fangs go through my hand, but in general fangs don't give me much cause for concern.

--the nature boy

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i think the worst that happens from what i've seen is when ur fingers are confused as food. I think in that case the fangs will be penetrating you really bad and stay still? i guess that happened to robc weeks ago. I'm also interested on how to deal with that not jerkin ur hand off since is smthin that u are not expecting so an "intinct" impulse will be sent right to ur brain to move ur hand, i dnt know how u can control that :O

//Tiago

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You don't jerk your HAND off, duh!!!:clap: {D

I don't care if the spider tags me quickly, or sinks them in.. I will be flinching like crazy- sorry for the T if it goes flying. There is nothing that I can do to avoid an instant pull-back. or instant pull-out. or wait... what?

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So if the T sinks 'em in, and doesn't release, how do you get them off??

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So if the T sinks 'em in, and doesn't release, how do you get them off??
Haven't had that problem. I haven't perused the bite reports recently, are there many accounts of this happening? I can't say any stuck in my mind.

--the nature boy

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've seen a few, Rob included, where the tarantula held on for more than 5-7 seconds. More than 2 seconds and I'd immediately be looking for a way to get it off me.

Whether it was true or not, I thought I had seen a bite report saying that the T held on for 15 or more seconds.... what do you do with that??? lol

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Whether it was true or not, I thought I had seen a bite report saying that the T held on for 15 or more seconds.... what do you do with that??? lol
I can tell you for a fact I'd go buy more of the species. That's attitude!

--the nature boy

spiderlover84

Arachnopeon
there should be an old bite report about a guy who had to dunk a T into a fish tank to get it off:wall: :eek: ;P

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have been bitten by a subadult Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black" when unpacking a shipment and I can only say to nature boy - if you want to speculate about being bitten you should try it before going public about what you "think".

It hurts. Immediately. Intensely. Badly. Your fingers and hand begins to swell in minutes after the spider has retracted its fangs and the pain just go searing on and on along with the reddening, swelling and the cramps. Then adding the joint pains, and the "pins and needles" sensation as your nerve ends dissolves due to the action of the venom. For me the pain started to dwindle after 7 hrs, and I had leg cramps, abdominal cramps, neck cramps etc for the first week, and arthritis like symptoms in the joints of my hand for about a month after. I am happy it was not a bite from a fully mature female!

For me I just stared in disbelief when she dug her fangs in. There was nothing lightening about it and it was not like a short sting. She grabbed on with her legs and drove the fangs in between a joint on my left index finger and held on like a bulldog chewing on my finger. She held on like this for maybe only a few seconds - but they felt like ages. Then suddenly let loose and jumped of me - running for cover.

So you don't shake your hands as you know what to expect, and let's realise it - you get bitten because you f*cked up and made a mistake. And you don't need to convince the spider to let go. It all happens automatically. If you are not prepared to get bitten - then avoid situations where you risk being bitten. Easy as that.

Regards
Søren

jasen&crystal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i agree if you get bit you messed up but everyone is going to f up once
so if you dont want the exp. of getting bit dont handle them
personaly i would rathr be bit than not handle them

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
once

Well my reaction is to jerk too. I have only been bitten once and luckily I jerked back and he dropped less than a foot right into his cage so nothing bad happened. Funny thing is I have seen Mike(Troll) get bit and he does exactly what you are talking about....he just grins and bears it. I don't know how he does that. I saw a versi get him once and he did not move except to try and get her fangs out as she did not want to let go. He was just like owe owe owe...ok come on let go. Talk about calm behavior.

white_feather

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been bitten by many huge Pythons and I don't jerk at all. I have yet to get tagged by a spider, but the thought scares me. I imagine it would hurt like a mo fo.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Either handling or not, most of the bites are not from handling, are just becauz u got ur fingers in the wrong place at the wrong time. And when u get bit i think u probably did smthin wrong and u CAN NOT EXPECT the bite unless ur tryin to test the sympthoms of some sps or smthin like that. It has nothing to do with handling or smthin. I guess u better be prepared to get a deli asap and run after ur T that just cramped her fangs on you depending on how far u threw it away :wall: o_O i guess that applies to some ppl and i can't imagine myself not freakin my hand.

Everyone will get bit once i guess... I think it doesnt matter how careful you are, we are all humans and u cannot say "i'm never gonna get bitten" but u can say " I'm the most careful person in the world in order to not get a bite"...

Just my opinion and i guess i didnt say anything wrong, if so... correct me =)

:?

//Tiago

jefferson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you know how to tell if your T is throwing a threat pose then dont pick it up, you wont get bitten if you dont put yourself in the position, with my T (ive never got bitten by her) but i have been bitten by other animals i realize the risk and what i should do if it happens in a sense dont let it be compulsory just know that if she bites take the pain and act calmly

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
iv only been tapped,not tagged,and it was by a large ( 7 inch + ) l.p and it was about 3wks ago..i didnt flinch cus i didnt know,thought she just did the leg slap thing haha, my only advice is to prepare to get bit mentally every time you work with a t. if you can understand and accept that then your reaction wont be as harsh in my opinion

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahaha before i get flamed with well opinions are like .... you know we all have one haha i treat smithis and rosies with the same respect and regard as singy blues, calceatas,o.b.t's, and my lividum..mentally realize it can and at some time will happen,and the painful experience might not end up with a dead t

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone here kept aggressive/defensive tarantulas for over a year and never been bit?