All species molt at the same rate?

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Since I've just added a Brachypelma vagans immediately after a molt, I got to wondering...:?

How often do slings molt?

Are all/most species the same?

Cheers!

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It all depends on the species, temperature, humidity, feeding schedule, and etc...

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most are acyually a little different I think a lot of it has to do with the Ts growth rate like my Brachypelma tend to molt less often then my Lasiodora and ive had one Grammostola rosea that ive had for 2 years and Ive never seen her molt. she is almost full grown at 5". I think most of my sling under 1" tend to molt every 3-4 weeks and the ones over tend to molt every month and a half to 4 months depending on what they are.:D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an Aphonopelma sp since last June and it has molted a total of 1 time. I have some Pokies the same amount of time and they are almost adult now so as you can see that the species vary greatly

† [sandi] †

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes poecilotheria sp. are known for fast growing also Plsamopoeus spp. my Psalmopoeus cambridgei has grown since december till now wholle 4'' in legspan

and my little smithi in the same time only 1''

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol What about Lasiodora Parahybana, they grow like weeds to. Another example, in the time ive had my G. rosea sling it has moulted once and the parahybana sling i aqquired has moulted 3 times

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Instead of starting a pointless thread for a simple question, I'm going to slip it into this one.{D
I have a 3/4" Avicularia braunshauseni sling, that hasn't molted for about four months. My 2" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens molted twice in the amount of time, and is in pre-molt again. From what I have read and heard, aren't avics supposed to be quick growers? Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
It has good temp/humidity, and it is fed well, so I don't know what's going on.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fierce Deity said:
From what I have read and heard, aren't avics supposed to be quick growers? Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
GBBs are pretty quick growers, too. But I wouldn't worry about the sling. So long as it looks good, it's fine. Sometimes they're just weird. My L. parahybana, for example, hid in a burrow and refused food for a month and a half, at maybe a half-inch in size! Crazy antics like that mean I've had it since a pinpoint in January and it's only now 1". But it's fat, and healthy, and starting to pick back up again.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
while every species is different and multiple factors are present, my very youn slings in similar growth rate groups all molt at about the same time. the scheduel branches out as they mature. and my adults tend to all molt in the spring.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fierce Deity said:
I have a 3/4" Avicularia braunshauseni sling, that hasn't molted for about four months. My 2" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens molted twice in the amount of time, and is in pre-molt again. From what I have read and heard, aren't avics supposed to be quick growers? Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
I have two A. braunshauseni slings. I got them almost a year ago. They are sac-mates and have been subjected to the same temps, diet, etc. One has molted 6 times since I got them and has a legspan of over 3 inches. The other has molted 4 times and is less than half the size of its sibling. I'm guessing one is male and the other is female.....or maybe there's just a lot of individual variation?

Anyway my point is that there is no real schedule for slings....as long as yours is eating good I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe your sling and my runty one are females and my steroidal monster sling is a boy.