All black Avicularia I.D. Question

Dogfish

Arachnopeon
Cool, I am glad to tentatively identify this T. I'll have to take extra care to ventilate well and mist the tank a bit more often than normal. Thank you to Tryris, Warren Bautista, BrettG, Petross, and Thobby1982.

Petross

Tarantulaholic
Arachnosupporter
No, it's for sure Avicularia genus. P. irminia baby has a different pattern.

Frost

Arachnopeon
I think there has to be a detailed picture. Maybe you can borrow a camera from someone or ask them to help you out! Fromwhat I'm hearing it could be a Purpea or maybe a A. Avicularia or A. Versicolor. I have A. Avic and A. Versicolor slings and when they are in pre molt they turn really dark, almost black. This goes for my a. Versicolors as well, and they are very very bright blues!

Dogfish

Arachnopeon
So my sling is confirmed to be Avicularia versicolor. I talked to the person I bought it from and he told me the color will probably come out in the next molt. I'm stoked.

I love this little T, it eats like a hog. It has been averaging about one pinhead cricket per day. I try to hand feed it with a pair of forceps, and if it does not immediately pounce on the cricket I just remove it. I usually feed it two pinheads every second day, today was the first day it did not immediately try to eat. I think I will wait three or four days before trying again.

It has built up a beautiful little funnel web in it's enclosure with three entrances, one to each side and one leading directly up. It likes to sit halfway inside the upward facing entrance. I wish the web would photograph, but it isn't quite thick enough yet... my sling has only had four days to build it after all.

Now knowing that it is a versicolor, I mist the inside of the enclosure every second day that I'm not feeding (always away from the web, never directly at it) and I have drilled small holes in every available space on the cap of the jar... hopefully this will give me the combination of ventilation and humidity that is ideal.

I realized today that the USB microscope at my work would probably be great for getting a picture, if I can place it just against the wall of the enclosure and keep the sling in one place long enough.... maybe I can get some really nice pictures after it molts. Thank you all for the help, I hope Karma repays you in full :biggrin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL ; DR - my sling is confirmed Avicularia versicolor

Dogfish

Arachnopeon
Oh boy, this sling is breaking 2" now. It's definitely a versicolor but stil very very black. The blue coloration is very subtle. Perhaps I will take pictures this week. The USB cameras are all over, do a google search. They're pretty cool. I use them at work to measure dimensions down to 0.0001 of an inch. I saw them for as cheap as $60.00

Frost

Arachnopeon
thanks man i appreciate it. any specific brands i should be looking at?