Ahaetulla prassinus

snakey_dave

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys,

The shop I work in recently received some wild caught Vine Snakes ( A. prassinus ). One large female gave birth on Saturday and I was wondering if anyone had raised this specie from neonate before.

My adults feed on lizards but obviously it will be difficult to find lizards small enough for tiny babies. I was therefore wondering if anyone knew if this specie is an insect feeder whilst small.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Asian Vine Snakes, aka Oriental Whip Snakes (Ahaetulla prasina) are primarily reptile eaters that feed mainly on lizards such as Anoles and amphibians such as tree frogs. It is possible, but not easy to switch them over to rodents. Apparently they do well on a rodent diet, but few have accomplished this task.

Oh....by the way....they are a rear-fanged venomous species. Try not to get bit. ;)

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lotaa external parasites IME,better remove those by vet or experienced ppl, used to keep some b4, They were absolutely beautiful but they just ate geckos, another suggestion is to breed geckos, well, personally, i've neaver heard of any siwtched their diet to rodents, but u may try...

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
lotaa external parasites IME,better remove those by vet or experienced ppl, used to keep some b4, They were absolutely beautiful but they just ate geckos, another suggestion is to breed geckos, well, personally, i've neaver heard of any siwtched their diet to rodents, but u may try...
Most freshly imported snakes boast alot of internal and external parasites. The external you can treat with a can of Provent-A-Mite and some tweezers (for ticks).....the internal ones will likely need veterinary assistance, unless you know where to get panacur and adminsiter the proper dosages.

I've SEEN them eat rodents before, so I know its possible, but not easy.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can try small fish like guppys (Poecilia sp.) , in a shallow water bowl. I know friends have these snakes and they eat the fish.

/Lelle

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't have much problem converting mine to mice, but they do track by movement, so won't generally go after something that isn't moving. I had a couple babies for a while, and they wouldn't eat anything except for little geckos. Thankfully there are plenty of them around my house. The fish trick didn't work, but anything is well worth the try.

They call them rear-fanged, but I think that is a misnomer. While their venom delivery system isn't as advanced as an elapid, they're still quite capable of making use of it. In humans all it really causes is localized redness, and a feeling of warmth, but there is no discounting an allergic reaction.

Rav

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have a good supply of house geckos around...I've had some luck raising up little lizard eaters on gecko tails. I do realize that not everyone has access to that many geckos to get tails from though. -_-