aging insects loosing legs

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive noticed that as my praying mantis ages as well as eastern hercules beetles age the ends of there legs tend to slowly die off until there basically just elbowing around. I was wondering does anyone know what causes this or how to maybe prevent this? its kinda sad to watch the mighty beetle just stumbling around cause its tarsi have fallen off.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Could also be environmental stress or poor diet, this commonly happens in various land crab species.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Can be caused by hundreds of reasons. Is a normal part of the natural selection process. Follow the most basic rule of environmental science: all weaknesses in any species are caused by one or more environmental factors, ranging from toxic food sources to hostile environments.
You are going to have to become a detective, tracing things back to the origin cause and often, you are going to have to synthesize the environment to cater to a specific animals needs. What may work perfectly for one species may cause a catastrophe for another.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Having never had Dynastes I can't talk about them, but I've seen this happen to very elderly mantids multiple times. From why I can deduce, it's related to the awkward stance they develop because of weakened leg muscles. It becomes more difficult for them to stand without sharply bending the metatarsus and tarsi to rest on the joint. Eventually that pressure seems to cut off hemolymph flow and the end segments can fall off. If it happens to a younger animals on one or two legs, it had an accident. If it happens to all the legs and/or higher up on the legs, it's almost definitely a husbandry flaw like the other two said.

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, cool, yea the mantis i have now is getting rather old. I guess they need insect growth hormone or insect steroids to keep them strong and healthy. As for the beetles I know they will spend alot of time digging and trying to climb up the side of there container when not eating. being able to live for 9 months or so as an adult can deff wear down the body. I know there spines get dull, there wax rubs off. but they like to dig and love to eat.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you answered your own question in your first post. This sounds to be nothing more than age-related wear-and-tear.

Regards,
Ryan

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a craniifer roach live 4 years, nobody even knew they lived that long the books say a year. Not only was chewing compromised and needed softer foods to eat, sense of smell also went slowly, and last year of life lost 3 out of 6 legs, they just broke off. It was due to age, I guess an exoskeleton wears down over time just like human bones do.