After final molt?

HEADCASE

Arachnopeon
Ok I know it's gonna take a while for my 1.0 B.smithi to have his final molt he's only 3"(LS) but after he has it I heard he only has a year to live. Is this true? Any info would be great thanks.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you're certain that it's a male, than i'm afraid that the time left after the final molt is limited. After the final molt male T's need to mate. They develop 'hooks' (sometimes referred to as boxing gloves) to facilitate this process.

however, if the T turns out to be a female, you have lots and lots of time left with your T! and by lots i mean years and years and years :)

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a rough estimate. Some don't quite make it a year, others I have heard live a little longer. Some, I have heard, have even gone so far as to have a post-ultimate molt. But for the most part, life beyond the final molt is short. To keep your little guy as long as possible, you can keep him at a cooler temperature and feed him, maybe every week and a half or two weeks rather than once a week. This will slow down the molting process, and give him a little longer lifespan.
Seeing as how you have a male b. smithi though, things aren't all gloom and doom for you. I'm sure there are a few people out there that would like to breed him when the time comes, and you could probably do a 50/50 breeding loan and get some of his babies to carry on his memory. :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They develop 'hooks' (sometimes referred to as boxing gloves)
The hooks that they get are different from what is referred to as the "boxing gloves".

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The hooks that they get are different from what is referred to as the "boxing gloves".
To clarify further: the hooks are actually tibial hooks, located on the underside of the front two legs. The "boxing gloves" are bulbous pedipalps (I call them palpal bulbs, easier to say). I have heard that there exists a species or two of tarantula that does not develop the hooks upon maturity, but only has the palpal bulbs. I don't know which species exactly, though...

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not all as hopeless as it sounds. I got a male H Lividum and his first molt was his ultimate! I was crestfallen. However, soon after, I talked to a breeder who told me he has a male of the same species who is 3 years post ultimate molt!!! Nothing is impossible and my H livid is now more beautiful than ever with his long lanky legs and mating energy all over. Enjoy your little one!!!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have heard that there exists a species or two of tarantula that does not develop the hooks upon maturity, but only has the palpal bulbs. I don't know which species exactly, though...
There is a list somewhere, but Poecilotheria is one of them, and I know T. blondi, but not sure about the Theraphosa genus in general...

And the tibial spurs are located at the second joint in the front left and right legs. I'm sure there are pictures around here that show that as well.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my male B. smithi still had 2 years to maturity after he reached the 3 inch mark. He is now 3 months after his ultimate molt and on his way to a date with a female. Having a male B. smithi is actually really cool.