After Avicularia?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I know they are all fast and skittish, but is there something that isn't prone to constant teleporting? Also something that doesn't spend 100% of it's life hidden away like my friends (apparently) very pretty P. Irminia?
I'd recommend a Caribena versicolor (if you want something colorful and more like an Avic) or Psalmopoeus cambridgei.

While there are exceptions to every rule, most cams are visible most of the time (especially as they get bigger) and are not very defensive.

Squirt is among my favorites:

The only threat pose she ever gave me was this one when she had PMS (pre-molt syndrome):

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
They do have that quite regal, classy look to them! How are their growth rates and their visibility? You might just win me over to buy a sling lol :p
They grew quite fast for me. Mature males from 1/2" to mature in about 2 years. The setup is key to visibility. I kept my juveniles in 32oz deli cups, with cork bark to hide behind and you could usually see them out and about patrolling their Cup.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
They grew quite fast for me. Mature males from 1/2" to mature in about 2 years. The setup is key to visibility. I kept my juveniles in 32oz deli cups, with cork bark to hide behind and you could usually see them out and about patrolling their Cup.
How about temperament wise? Should i expect a typical avic? Ot is it bolder or shier? Thanks in advance!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
How about temperament wise? Should i expect a typical avic? Ot is it bolder or shier? Thanks in advance!
Much bolder in my experience than any other Avicularia species I kept. I had minatrix, purpurea, avicularia, huriana, and possibly others but my memory isn't so great lol. (I know the list above are not all in the Avicularia genus now).

My female always tended to threat pose at any disturbance, much more so than any of the other species listed above in my experience.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Much bolder in my experience than any other Avicularia species I kept. I had minatrix, purpurea, avicularia, huriana, and possibly others but my memory isn't so great lol. (I know the list above are not all in the Avicularia genus now).

My female always tended to threat pose at any disturbance, much more so than any of the other species listed above in my experience.
Sounds like a fun T to keep, now hearing from your experiences and seeing more pics of them online, I'll definitely add them to my wish list!

Thank you, Maman

shodan

Arachnopeon
Wow! so many suggestions and great looking photos! Thanks everyone.

Well.... it looks like I am going to have to buy more than 'one' more arboreal :rolleyes:

Time to start hunting online for some for sale in the UK

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchinius. These are great genera to build up to potent ows like Poecilotheria.

P irminia. IMG_20190130_174456_453.jpg
IMG_20190603_122525_490.jpg

Tapinauchinius rasti
IMG_20190528_132345_183.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I speak English and some butchered Slovak. o_O
Yeah, I hear you my man. No problem, think that I don't speak Sicilian either - and that was Sicilian. I live in Lombardy u_u

Minchia, minchia arrusa. Arrusissima :)

One day a Sicilian will read this ^

Michael Guirov

Arachnopeon
I never really hear Pachistopelma get mentioned?
One of the best eaters I have and is always out and about, gives caribena some competition for colour aswell
P. bromelicola
DSC_0502~2.JPG
DSC_0167~2.JPG
DSC_00098~2.JPG

RHawk

Arachnopeon
Ybarapora diversipes is a beautiful new world arboreal (used to be in the Avicularia genus as well).. Personally I went straight from Avics to Poecilotheria, and now I have a slight obsession with the Psalmopoiinae subfamily (Tapinauchenius, Psalmopoeus, Pseudoclamoris..). Psalmopoeus pulcher is a beautiful species, and tends to be more docile than irminia and cambridgei, at least in my experience. Caribena versicolor would be the other definite choice imo.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've only skimmed through so if someone has mentioned them then I'm sorry but why has no-one mentioned Iridopelma? They'd basically be between Avics and Psalmos on the ladder.

Excellent ladder species - They are like arboreal incei.