AFS Flowers

kingofall

Arachnosquire
I was curious if you could put flowers in an AFS enclosure if that would hurt it?

Can you use flowers in an AFS enclosure?

Last edited by a moderator:

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
I was curious if you could put flowers in an AFS enclosure if that would hurt it?
I would imagine as long as the plant isnt toxic and can withstand high humidity then no it shouldnt be a issue. However it will probably destroy the plant burrowing or digging it up and destroying its roots. I had a fake plant in one of my afs enclosures and it never stayed in the same place . Now they are plain just substrate and cork bark.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
It would probably look really nice if you have a young smaller scorpion, but for a bigger one you could try to plant the pot in a organic coco fiber pot and then plant that in the enclosure so its roots wouldnt be as exposed and it would be much harder to move, moss is also definitely an option as they love damp warm climates and dont really need soil

Forest Scorpion

Arachnopeon
My ASF tank is fully planted. He has crushed some of the plants, stripped leaves off a few more, and used one of the Pothos as a ladder to escape his enclosure 20 minutes after I put him in. Other than that, everything seems hunky dory. He spends time hiding under the various leaves and seems most willing to eat when partially concealed by the leaves. Plus, as a burrower, he is not the most exciting pet all the time, and a planted terrarium is still a joy to see even when he is not visible.

Attachments

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Asian forest scorpion? Probably the plant is more likely to suffer than the scorpion. Do you have enough light and a way to avoid salt buildup and waterlogging in the substrate?

Some plants are toxic, but most only when eaten.

Arachnotroik

Arachnosquire
These guys will re-scape everything, even after all the hardwork you gave just to make his/her enclosure beautiful, Lol.

Forest Scorpion

Arachnopeon
Asian forest scorpion? Probably the plant is more likely to suffer than the scorpion. Do you have enough light and a way to avoid salt buildup and waterlogging in the substrate?

Not the OP, but I use a clay ball false bottom to allow drainage and maintain humidity. I also have charcoal in the soil and a charcoal layer between the substrate and the false bottom to help with water filtration.

I have an LED light to facilitate plant growth. I positioned the light so that it does not shine into the hides. His burrow is completely dark even with the light fully illuminated. So far, my plants are flourishing. All are showing signs of new growth, despite the scorp's best efforts to the contrary.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Not the OP, but I use a clay ball false bottom to allow drainage and maintain humidity. I also have charcoal in the soil and a charcoal layer between the substrate and the false bottom to help with water filtration.

I have an LED light to facilitate plant growth. I positioned the light so that it does not shine into the hides. His burrow is completely dark even with the light fully illuminated. So far, my plants are flourishing. All are showing signs of new growth, despite the scorp's best efforts to the contrary.
This is how people ought to care for the plants in their animal terraria. Just keep in mind that you'll have to fertilize at some point if you want continued growth

Forest Scorpion

Arachnopeon
This is how people ought to care for the plants in their animal terraria. Just keep in mind that you'll have to fertilize at some point if you want continued growth
I'm hoping that the waste from the cleanup crew will take care of the fertilization for a good while, but they are not properly established yet. I'll probably need an interim solution of some sort until they are more prolific.

kingofall

Arachnosquire

I have a drainage layer (1" pea gravel) and plenty of light. Will that do?

Forest Scorpion

Arachnopeon
I have a drainage layer (1" pea gravel) and plenty of light. Will that do?
Is your tank already set up? I strongly recommend a charcoal layer between the gravel and substrate.

What is your substrate composed of? I use 1 part coco fiber, 1 park coco bark (they don't sell orchid bark where I live, but that would be better), 1 part finely crushed charcoal, 2 parts dry sphagnum moss, and 1 part sand. This provides the firmness required for proper burrowing and the nutrients for plant growth.

Do you have any bioactive components (isopods/springtails)? Not only will these clean up after your AFS, they will aerate and fertilize the soil for your plants. Use dwarf isopods to avoid any risk for your scorpion during and after molting.

What sort (LED/flourescent/UV/etc.) and color of light are you using? Fluorescent lighting will not provide all the wavelengths your plants need to thrive. UV will burn your scorpion, if s/he is exposed to it. Blue and red LED lights will promote different sorts of growth in your plants. Blue for dense and short and no fruit production, red for tall and thin and fruit production. White LED lights are actually blue wavelengths coated in phosphorus. Keep that in mind. I use all white/red/blue LED lights during the day in my tank.

kingofall

Arachnosquire
Is your tank already set up? I strongly recommend a charcoal layer between the gravel and substrate.

What is your substrate composed of? I use 1 part coco fiber, 1 park coco bark (they don't sell orchid bark where I live, but that would be better), 1 part finely crushed charcoal, 2 parts dry sphagnum moss, and 1 part sand. This provides the firmness required for proper burrowing and the nutrients for plant growth.

Do you have any bioactive components (isopods/springtails)? Not only will these clean up after your AFS, they will aerate and fertilize the soil for your plants. Use dwarf isopods to avoid any risk for your scorpion during and after molting.

What sort (LED/flourescent/UV/etc.) and color of light are you using? Fluorescent lighting will not provide all the wavelengths your plants need to thrive. UV will burn your scorpion, if s/he is exposed to it. Blue and red LED lights will promote different sorts of growth in your plants. Blue for dense and short and no fruit production, red for tall and thin and fruit production. White LED lights are actually blue wavelengths coated in phosphorus. Keep that in mind. I use all white/red/blue LED lights during the day in my tank.
Yes it is already set up it's got 1 part "forest moss" 1/2 part bark and 2 parts coco fiber but I plan on getting some soil without fertilizer to add in with it.
I do have some isopods in there but they are big.
As for lighting I use red and white halogen bulbs for heat and the plants.

Forest Scorpion

Arachnopeon
Yes it is already set up it's got 1 part "forest moss" 1/2 part bark and 2 parts coco fiber but I plan on getting some soil without fertilizer to add in with it.
I do have some isopods in there but they are big.
As for lighting I use red and white halogen bulbs for heat and the plants.
What is "forest moss"? Peat moss?
I would add some sand to keep the substrate from collapsing in your scorpion's burrow. Sand adds a wonderful amount of firmness and body to the substrate. Sphagnum moss really helps with humidity, but yoh can also put a layer of sphagnum on one half of the tank and mist it more heavily than the rest of the tank to accomplish the same thing.

What species of isopods do you have? Dwarf species have essentially a 0% chance of eating your molting scorpion. Armadillidium species are significantly more protein hungry (in general). Porcellio species, especially scaber, have been known to eat many scorpions and tarantulas after a molt.

Halogen bulbs are fine as long as you regulate the heat and make extra sure that the light is shining inside the scorpion hides.

kingofall

Arachnosquire
What is "forest moss"? Peat moss?
I would add some sand to keep the substrate from collapsing in your scorpion's burrow. Sand adds a wonderful amount of firmness and body to the substrate. Sphagnum moss really helps with humidity, but yoh can also put a layer of sphagnum on one half of the tank and mist it more heavily than the rest of the tank to accomplish the same thing.

What species of isopods do you have? Dwarf species have essentially a 0% chance of eating your molting scorpion. Armadillidium species are significantly more protein hungry (in general). Porcellio species, especially scaber, have been known to eat many scorpions and tarantulas after a molt.

Halogen bulbs are fine as long as you regulate the heat and make extra sure that the light is shining inside the scorpion hides.
I think forest moss in a mix of peat moss and sphagnum moss.
I think the isopods are Armadillidium Vulgare.

Forest Scorpion

Arachnopeon
I think forest moss in a mix of peat moss and sphagnum moss.
I think the isopods are Armadillidium Vulgare.
I meant to say that you make sure the light is not shining inside the hides.

Peat moss is not a problem, but it will break down much quicker than the other substrate components. I recommend avoiding it in the future. Pure sphagnum moss, in a long, stringy brick, is really cheap. If you look at the photo I posted above, you can see that (even though I mixed sphagnum in the substrate) I covered half my tank in sphagnum. It does an amazing job at humidity regulation.

Armadillidium vulgare can be aggressive when over populated or hungry. If your scorpion is anywhere close to molting, I would either over-feed your isopods or cull the population significantly. You want them to be extremely satiated as your scorpion molts, so there is no temptation to eat him/her. That is the benefit of Dwarf species. You never really have to worry about population size.