african white huntman spider

dannybear

Arachnopeon
ive recently purchased an african huntman spider and wondered if anyone knows the latin name, also, are there any decent caresheets for these.

thanks.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're kidding right? Is the common name African Huntsman, or is it a Huntsman from Africa? :eek:

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Africa + huntsman + white makes me think about Leucorchestris:rolleyes:
Of course, without a pic, im just guessing.

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The correct name is Cerbalus. Also known as Sinai desert huntsman. I have a few of these. There is a thread about this species on the forum here somewhere.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seen "African White Huntsman" being sold as both Cerbalus sp. and Carparachne sp.

Not sure which one is correct, and my guess is that most traders have no real knowledge about what exact genus their spiders are members of anyway :wall:

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They actually sell Carparachne? I have my strong doubts since its unique to the Namib Desert and that area is protected. While Leuchorchestris, which is a lot bigger, has a wider distribution and, in my opinion, together with Cerbalus sp. its probably the most sold "African White Huntsman"
But then again, i agree, sellers rarely have some knowledge of what they sell.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, they do... well, like I said, they claim that's what they have.

For instance, Thomas Vinmann's stock list says:

Desert Huntsman White Lady Carparachne spec. very interesting colourful species, female adult 18,-
But like you said, it's probably Cerbalus sp. or Leuchorchestris sp...

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hehe yea, also cause White Lady is the common name used for Leucorchestris. So White Lady Carparachne sounds kind of wierd :? . What are the size he gives?

dannybear

Arachnopeon
hi,

the petshop didnt know what genus she was(which is a bit irresponsible), but she was sold as african white lady hunting spider, shes quite big, 2 1/2" legspan. I appreciate the help, when i figure out how to upload a pic, you can see her. shes white abdomen, white and black splodges on the carapace and black on the underside.

Attachments

dannybear

Arachnopeon
hahaha, the thread i saw was acopiamento cerbalus on you tube.. i see my mistake as there were two soiders mating...lol.