Afraid to ship

Sana

Arachnoprince
I am getting set up (slowly mind you) to start breeding tarantulas. Unfortunately, if I want to be successful I'm pretty sure I need to master the art of shipping tarantulas. I've watched the youtube videos and read threads on packing tips. I've actually started a thread previously for some extra advice. So I feel like I have a pretty solid understanding of the process and the how-to's. The roadblock that I have come to is that I'm scared. I'm worried that I will make a mistake and injure or kill the spider. I feel ridiculous cause people ship tarantulas all the darn time. Anybody have any advice on how to get over it, aside from just do it?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make a checklist if you have to, and just hit every one.
Packing is correct- foam on all six sides; padding is adequate; air holes in whatever the spider is in; heat pack if necessary and properly insulated from spiders.
Spider is hydrated before shipping; i.e. full water dish several days before shipping. Spider isn't obese, in heavy premolt, or very early post-molt.
They're tough critters. Ship overnight for your peace of mind too.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Every time I want to try something new with tarantulas, I practice first. In the case of shipping, I suggest first practicing your shipping container preparation, then packing the box, and shipping overnight to a friend or relative. If you don't have any friends or relatives close to you that are willing, or able, to accept a live spider for you then pack one up like it's going to be shipped and put it in the trunk of your car and drive around town for a while. You could also try shipping one of your own tarantulas to yourself.

Since you know the theory by watching YouTube videos and reading about it, now practice so you have some hands-on experience. It's worth spending a few dollars and some time getting your technique down before shipping spiders to people who will be expecting their paid for spiders to arrive alive and undamaged. When the exchange of money is involved, the pressure builds to get that spider to its destination alive.

Every shipment is going to be nerve racking, but over time you will become more confident. Just don't spend the money you receive from selling tarantulas before you get confirmation from the buyer it arrived alive. Just in case.

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
I appreciate you guys. I have a friend that will accept a shipment from me that contains a live tarantula. I'm sure it will be okay intellectually. I suppose I really do just have to do it. Practice and a checklist here we come.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am getting set up (slowly mind you) to start breeding tarantulas. Unfortunately, if I want to be successful I'm pretty sure I need to master the art of shipping tarantulas. I've watched the youtube videos and read threads on packing tips. I've actually started a thread previously for some extra advice. So I feel like I have a pretty solid understanding of the process and the how-to's. The roadblock that I have come to is that I'm scared. I'm worried that I will make a mistake and injure or kill the spider. I feel ridiculous cause people ship tarantulas all the darn time. Anybody have any advice on how to get over it, aside from just do it?
Search on YouTube. There are lots of videos showing how to do it. Shipping is very easy. It's all about how well you pack the spider. The idea is to make sure the box is well insulated, so that the spider won't get bounced around too much.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I appreciate you guys. I have a friend that will accept a shipment from me that contains a live tarantula. I'm sure it will be okay intellectually. I suppose I really do just have to do it. Practice and a checklist here we come.
Don't worry! Practice makes perfect and I'm sure the little guy will arrive healthy and happy (well maybe not happy lol). I have faith in you - everything u do is with care, skill and precision and I know u will follow all the right steps which will help u prove to yourself that u have the ability to ship w success! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

--J.Haas

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, it shouldn't take long to figure it out. My first was a MM pulchripes and I did a HORRIBLE job, leaving way too much space, but my mistakes were obvious compared to the many packages I'd received and correcting the error was easy...luckily that chaco was in good hands and not actually being shipped, so it really only served as a what not to do lesson. Since then I've shipped bunches of them all over the country as males have matured and have yet to lose a single one.

Coaxing a spider into a tight place is actually easier than the brain makes it seem....afterall, they like tight, dark places.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Search out some dealers or breeders who have outstanding shipping practices. Place a few small orders with them and mimic their packing procedures. The best of the best still have accidents though, so understand that there will be some financial set backs for replacement shipments to keep customers happy. It happens. Set good terms of service in your ad's to protect yourself from people making fraudulent claims of dead spiders.

Later, Tom

Sana

Arachnoprince
Search out some dealers or breeders who have outstanding shipping practices. Place a few small orders with them and mimic their packing procedures. The best of the best still have accidents though, so understand that there will be some financial set backs for replacement shipments to keep customers happy. It happens. Set good terms of service in your ad's to protect yourself from people making fraudulent claims of dead spiders.

Later, Tom
I've always been careful when I'm ordering tarantulas to use dealers, breeders, etc. who have excellent reviews for their packing so I have had some examples to compare to.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Always place the T's in hard, well ventilated, containers with tons of paper towels on the inside. Ziplock makes some twist tops that are good for this. The containers should be hard enough to protect the T if the package is crushed.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I've always been careful when I'm ordering tarantulas to use dealers, breeders, etc. who have excellent reviews for their packing so I have had some examples to compare to.
my 2 cents is... the only way to learn is to do it.. now having somone accept a shipment sounds like an okay idea.. but heres how i look at it.. and its kinda ruthless/twisted way of thinking.. unless they wanted that order imo then its a waist, because shipping overnight is 35-60 bucks and if the animal dies or is injured your out the money on both T and shipping especialy if they are shipping or driving it back to you..

however imo if youv ordered T's from good people like stamps and Anastasia then you should have a good idea how to ship.. even beter use delis and vials theyv used to ship to you so you only gota ahove in paper towel or news paper as shock absorbers... but the first few orders id say lag only overnight. then as you get more confident offer it on 2day only, then during spring and summer on 3days if youd like.. but youl never learn if you dont try

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Priority #1: Lots of padding in the individual containers, and in the box. The box with be banged around, bounced, and even dropped.

Keep cold pacs and heat packs well away from the spiders. Tape them in place and put Styrofoam in between it and the spiders. I've had some of the biggest dealers in the US kill spiders because these pacs moved in transit.

bossie71

Arachnopeon
i just got 2 t's. both came in foam lined boxes w the t in a small plastic container, like used for getting coleslaw and such in. they filled it 3/4 of the way with moss and left just enough room so the t could turn around. they filled in the space around the container w newspaper so the container stayed in the middle and doesn't hit the side of the box. had a few holes drilled in the container. heat pack was taped to the bottom of the box. sent next day air. they both arrived in great shape! good luck w your breeding!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I think if I were going to try it for the first time, I'd devise the packing and then put something fragile in it(An egg? Maybe a light bulb?), seal it up, and then pretend I'm a shipping personnel. I'd Drop it from shoulder height on a concrete floor. Hurl it onto a counter and maybe kick it for good measure. Finally, I'd run a steam-roller over it. If the egg or whatever is broken when I open it, back to the drawing board. ;)

Okay, I'm not entirely serious. The cost of renting a steam roller would be prohibitive.