advice on a ROUGH obt rehouse?

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For years I've used large oven bags for transfers. They're like big clear ziplocs, only big enough to cook a turkey in.
For smaller enclosures, you can put the entire enclosure/jar/keeper into the bag. Some will entirely cover a 5gal aquarium.
Very versatile in what you can do with them, and much safer, since the spider never has access to get out. You can even manipulate tools, like small paint brushes, through the bag if necessary.

Gently shake out or herd the spider, into the bag. If it's a small enclosure, I gently dump the whole thing into the bag. For spiderlings, I herd them out.
Herd the spider into a corner of the bag and close it off there. I'm sure a spider can bite through the bag, although I've never had that happen, but be careful where you place your hands
Remove everything else from the bag
When the next enclosure is ready, just use the bag to seal off the opening and put her where you want her.

That's kind of a muddy description, but when you have the spider in the bag, you have complete control.
Never had an escape or bad experience using this method. Safe for everyone involved.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
OP Update?

You do it yet? What method did you use? How did it go? :O

yelnei

Arachnopeon
OP Update?

You do it yet? What method did you use? How did it go? :O
not just yet, i planned to grab some supplies for the rehouse today at my local expo but wasn't able to find what i needed. had to grab some stuff online and it should arrive tomorrow, so it has one more day in the enclosure. the plan right now is to use the bag method combined with slowly flooding the enclosure that someone suggested. i checked on it just now and it seems okay and very hungry lol. it'll be getting a good meal once it's finally moved over!

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I’d feed him before so you also don’t have a hangry spider, and also because they may take a bit to settle in before being ready to hunt.
Also, Tom Moran posted a video where he tried the flood method and it went horribly wrong. Maybe give that a watch while prepping. I’ll try to find it, but I can’t remember exactly which one he was rehousing.

yelnei

Arachnopeon
I’d feed him before so you also don’t have a hangry spider, and also because they may take a bit to settle in before being ready to hunt.
Also, Tom Moran posted a video where he tried the flood method and it went horribly wrong. Maybe give that a watch while prepping. I’ll try to find it, but I can’t remember exactly which one he was rehousing.
hm, i'll take a look for that video, thanks for the heads up. i'm hoping to not need that method but the enclosure is ridiculously huge for her so i'm not 100% right now

i tried to feed her before the rehouse but i think the enclosure is just too big and strangely shaped for her to find prey/me to offer it in a useful spot. the cricket i offered just fell to the bottom every time even if i tried to get it into the web :( she's not super tiny in the abdomen so i think it's going to end up being less stressful to move then offer food once she's settled in

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
hm, i'll take a look for that video, thanks for the heads up. i'm hoping to not need that method but the enclosure is ridiculously huge for her so i'm not 100% right now

i tried to feed her before the rehouse but i think the enclosure is just too big and strangely shaped for her to find prey/me to offer it in a useful spot. the cricket i offered just fell to the bottom every time even if i tried to get it into the web :( she's not super tiny in the abdomen so i think it's going to end up being less stressful to move then offer food once she's settled in
I just looked through about 10 and wasn’t able to find it yet. Long story short, I remember he poured water in slowly, about a cup at a time (I think it was one of his sterile containers) and the spider never came out. He had the dig through the mud to find his terrified T.
I don’t envy you on this rehouse, but you’ve gotten a lot of great tools here and good on you for helping her out. Good luck and we’ll all be watching with bated breath!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

What on earth type of jar is the obt stuck in ?? Looks like a very crazy task of getting this fast 💨 t out ..
I just looked through about 10 and wasn’t able to find it yet. Long story short, I remember he poured water in slowly, about a cup at a time (I think it was one of his sterile containers) and the spider never came out. He had the dig through the mud to find his terrified T.
I don’t envy you on this rehouse, but you’ve gotten a lot of great tools here and good on you for helping her out. Good luck and we’ll all be watching with bated breath!
yeah even worse if the flooding doesn’t phase the t and it sits there or worse burrows into the mud water 💦.. wouldn’t want stick my hand in there ..

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Bag method
that would be my method as well.

Additionally one could find a see through or opaque firm deli cup that fits the top of the jar. stick a long paint brush through the bottom and into the jar to dig around for the spider. throw a cloth on the deli and get your firm card half way slide in already so it's dark, get some lights shining intowards the bottom of the jar. once it's in carefully slide in the rest of the card as you pull the brush out.
Not so different than the bag but its see through and rigid, which I prefer.

lastbeingsane

Arachnopeon
I am not sure if the video has been been found by the op, but it was the c.lividus rehouse where he used that metod.

Link:

yelnei

Arachnopeon
update: everything arrived, new enclosure is sliiightly smaller than i would’ve liked but it’ll make it easier to upgrade her once i have more time to gather a more permanent enclosure for her. otherwise, it’s go time lol.

wish me luck!

Attachments

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
HERE WE GOOOOOOoOoOoo

GOOD LUCK!

New enclosure is kinda small but it'll just be more fun when you rehouse it soon.

yelnei

Arachnopeon
she’s in! bag method worked like a charm and she didn’t show any defensive behavior :) the office is just full of fruit flies from her old enclosure now though.

she’s settling in as we speak. thanks so much for the advice everyone!!

HERE WE GOOOOOOoOoOoo

GOOD LUCK!

New enclosure is kinda small but it'll just be more fun when you rehouse it soon.
luckily now i can just put the old enclosure into the new one when she needs to be moved xD

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Obviously it's because I'm an idiot. Duh.

No, I think I got my threads mixed up and thought that was the OP.
Too bad there’s no prompt saying who’s the op or discussion starter like various other sites … :rofl: :ninja: And I’ve still seen people confused 🫤..on said forums that had that.
she’s in! bag method worked like a charm and she didn’t show any defensive behavior :) the office is just full of fruit flies from her old enclosure now though.

she’s settling in as we speak. thanks so much for the advice everyone!!
why on earth 🌍 would anyone put such a small t in a giant jar 🫙?? Glad your rehousing was a success hurray !! :D

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
all of the above...in a plastic tub, in the bathtub, drains plugged, curtains pulled and a towel under the door