Advice.. its my birthday, which T should i buy??

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok so on thursday its my birthday and i wanted advice as to what to get! so hers a list tell me what you think... just one!

P. irminia 4-5inch female @ £74.95 (is this too much?)

GBB(greenbottle blue) 3-4inch (already have one, but this one is phyco and active)

Thialand black adult female

B. ruhnaui 2-3inch nice coloration around £40

H. lividum 4+inch

so yeah i can only have one which one should i get, if i get one this will be my 9th tarantula, and im experienced enough to keep any of the above...

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd go for the ruhnaui. I am a sucker for the Brachy's.

Alissa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thailand Black - I'm assuming this is a haplopelma species? I love my H. lividum and H. schmidti: I don't see them very often, so when I do its a treat and I've been able to coax them into burrowing up against the glass so I get little peeks and see an awesome burrow. I think by nine spiders it might be nice to have something thats a little different behavior-wise, though I don't know which other ones you have.

I can't think of a bad one off of your list though. Or a bad tarantula at all :}

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thailand black=H.minax
id buy the P.irminia although its pricey as i got mine for £30 as a 5inch female.But best spider there imo is the irminia

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dunno actually which other tarantulas have black in there name?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Hm... Brazilian Black, G. pulchra?
Although G. pulchra hasn't been to appealing to me, almost every one here likes them.

I'd vote irminia. Favorite T in my collection, more active in feeding etc. then any other New World arboreal I've seen. Though they are cooler to raise from slings....

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Actually wait, I changed my answer.

A Grammastola pulchra Adult FEMALE affordable??
BUY IT!!!!

Then I'd breed it...
But that's just me.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here are my choices in order of preference:

1. .G. pulchra
1.1 P. irminia
1.11 B. ruhnaui
2. C. cyaneopubescens (GBB)
4. H. minax
5. H. lividum

The first three choices are all excellent and I am hard pressed to pick one over the other. The GBB is a close second to the first three choices. Though I like the looks of Haplopelmas, I dislike the fact that you rarely, if ever, see them.

Alissa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you meant Brazilian Black (G. pulchra), I couldn't recommend a better T for anyone. Gorgeous, sweet, hardy, and great eaters.

All tarantulas have good and bad qualities. I think just work towards getting a nice balance of different species with different behaviors and you'll be satisfied.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh wait... they just got in giant white knees around 3-4 inches... what do ppl think now?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
What's a giant white knee? Is that A. geniculata?

My preference from that list would be the female G. pulchra, followed by the B. ruhnaui, followed by the P. irminia female.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Here are my choices in order of preference:

1. .G. pulchra
1.1 P. irminia
1.11 B. ruhnaui
2. C. cyaneopubescens (GBB)
4. H. minax
5. H. lividum

The first three choices are all excellent and I am hard pressed to pick one over the other. The GBB is a close second to the first three choices. Though I like the looks of Haplopelmas, I dislike the fact that you rarely, if ever, see them.
Agreed 100%

JamesP

Arachnopeon
I say go for the A. Geniculata.
They look awesome, grow to a very good size, and have a nice appetite!

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have them all on the list except for the B. ruhnai and the H. minax (which is on my get next list.) The G. pulchra is very nice. I would grab an opportunity to get a female. They are gorgeous velvetly black, handleable, and entertaining. That and the B. ruhnai would be my first choices. People like the looks of the B. ruhnai, personally I don't, that is up to you (as well as if you like plain velvetly black!) The P. irmina is a great choice too, except that you can usually get slings pretty inexpensively, they are hardy as slings and fun to watch grow, so I wouldn't get an adult. Same with GBB and you already have one. The A. geniculata is also great, except again, it's a fairly fast grower, so I would get a sling and watch it grow up. It's fun to get these as slings because they eat a lot. I love haplopelmas, but if you only have a few Ts, they might not be a great idea, because you don't really get to see them much, unless you are a night owl. I see mine late at night and they have long pre and post molt periods when they don't come out at all. (At least mine do, I often wonder if they are even alive in there.)

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yeah, that'd prob be A. geniculata.
U can get A. geniculata off the internet anytime, but a G. pulchra adult female, at an affordable price is too cool to miss.
If u didn't get the G. pulchra, I'd recommend the P. irminia.