Advice for a soon to be new tarantula owner

awiec

Arachnoprince
Right, I just took them out of both of them. Good thing I said something or I wouldn't of known I'll just wait until it gets bigger since I've read it doesn't take long with them. Thanks for the information ! So if i wanted to put something I'll just make sure it's light and not too hard but I'm assuming it doesn't matter to them if there is anything in there except water lol.
Yeah and make sure there are no chemicals on it, best to wash it very well.

Last edited:

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
In regards to your question about how long it'll take your LP to molt: at that size the ones I've been around took 1-2 weeks once they were that dark. Just depends on the spider, but it will be soon. Let it harden up for at least 5 days then when it comes out of its burrow, feed it. It's okay to feed a bit more after a molt, it will have expended a lot of energy to go through the process.

awiec

Arachnoprince
So I noticed she has clear fluid coming out of her leg is that normal?
Thats hemolymph aka Tarantula blood, keep an eye on, the tarantula should be able to pop the leg off or seal off that section of the leg so it won't bleed out. It should be able to stop it and the fluid will just dry.

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
Okay I looked it up earlier before I asked on here and it said either fluid due too pre molt or blood. So I didn't know what to think I hope there isn't something wrong since she should be molting very soon.

I just figure I'd ask on here because you can't believe everything you read online I'd rather know from someone who knows rather than some random website. We are still new at this so I'd rather ask than guess.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Okay I looked it up earlier before I asked on here and it said either fluid due too pre molt or blood. So I didn't know what to think I hope there isn't something wrong since she should be molting very soon.
All you can you is keep an eye out, apparently there can be some fluid loss during molting, so watch closely.

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
Yeah I definitely will I turned it around like 2 days ago so I can peek at her without disturbing it moving it. I looked and it's gone so I'm hoping it's nothing major. I know it's a natural thing for them to molt but I'm kind of nervous being the first time. I'm just being patient and my daughter is excited too see what she looks like after. Thanks for answering all my questions I appreciate it.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah I definitely will I turned it around like 2 days ago so I can peek at her without disturbing it moving it. I looked and it's gone so I'm hoping it's nothing major. I know it's a natural thing for them to molt but I'm kind of nervous being the first time. I'm just being patient and my daughter is excited too see what she looks like after. Thanks for answering all my questions I appreciate it.
Well you're prepared, I had my first T molt in the container that I got it in on my way home from an expo, all I could do was hope as there wasn't anything I could do for it during the car ride. It ended up being just fine and I had myself a fresh bright blue A.versicolor within a few days (as they will look very light/white after they molt).

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
Well good thing it all went well lol I'd probably be nervous the car ride home.

So I think I was bugging her lol I'd peek at it here and there with a little light so I could make sure everything was okay especially since I seen the fluid. Well she blocked off the spot I could see it through so now I don't know what's going on lol. Guess we'll just wait and see hopefully that's a good sign like leave me alone and let me do my thing haha.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Hemolymph is actually a milky white color, a little bit of fluid on a leg is nothing to worry about. Excess amounts, sure, but not a little droplet. Blocking off its hide is a sign it wants to be left alone, yes. Probably to molt. Give it time, you'll see it again eventually.

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
Well it molted about 4 days ago I did have a cup with duct tape I've wanted to get out so I did and put a hide in I bought from the pet store. Well it has since blocked itself again. I don't want to bug it but I'd like too feed it when it's ready so will it unblock itself when it's hungry? Do I have yo worry about it not drinking? Or will it come out if it needs a drink? Thanks

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well it molted about 4 days ago I did have a cup with duct tape I've wanted to get out so I did and put a hide in I bought from the pet store. Well it has since blocked itself again. I don't want to bug it but I'd like too feed it when it's ready so will it unblock itself when it's hungry? Do I have yo worry about it not drinking? Or will it come out if it needs a drink? Thanks
It will come out when it is ready just make sure it has a water source. Also a cup with duct tap is not a good idea, the T will either get stuck on it or will chew through it (they can rip wire apart no problem). I'd suggest going to Meijer or some other grocery store with a deli counter, ask to buy a large salad container and use that. Your rose hair will defiantly rip through tape. Its best not to bother them after a molt for a week or two and you should give it a meal before you move it as they may take a bit to adjust and it will reduce the stress. Just think of it in the spider's terms, I'm going to rip you out of your home and throw you into a entire new one; its best to make the transition as stress-less as possible.

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
Right i know that i was going to change it but it hid too molt so about 4 days after i bought one and switched it. I didnt want to bug it but all I could think about was it getting stuck so I waited like 4 days and just did a quick switch of the hide. Then it blocked off the front from the new one so I'm assuming the molting process went good since it's moving around and all that. It has a little cap with water so if it wants water it's there I just hope it comes out when it's hungry or needs a drink.

Chevysbrew

Arachnopeon
Lots of chat about the T's but how is your daughter doing still interested? I also have a 5 year old girl and although she is not hypnotized with the T's she is always with me on feeding time and cleaning. Likes to look but not ready to handle which I think is good don't like to put ether of them on risk... Both my B smithi and B sp Yaxchilan are very docile but I let them be. And as I say my daughters T's that I bought for me! Jejejejee.
Good luck and have a great T feeding time!
David S.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Right i know that i was going to change it but it hid too molt so about 4 days after i bought one and switched it. I didnt want to bug it but all I could think about was it getting stuck so I waited like 4 days and just did a quick switch of the hide. Then it blocked off the front from the new one so I'm assuming the molting process went good since it's moving around and all that. It has a little cap with water so if it wants water it's there I just hope it comes out when it's hungry or needs a drink.
You don't have to worry, very rarely do they get stuck (of course one of mine was a rare one who did) and they know what they are doing. If I am reading this right, you switched its hide after it was done molting? If so then of course its going to hide, you switched something in its home and its still waiting to harden up as they are completely helpless at this point. I know my terrestrials don't come out usually until they are hardened up. If its thirsty, it will come out and if its fangs are black then its ready to eat. Pre-molt and Post molt are the times where you don't bother the tarantula except to maybe give a little water.

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
Yeah she loves them she still tells them their beautiful and she loves them everyday lol. When Rosetta grooms herself which is alot she's always watching. We don't handle Rosetta anymore just for that fact I'd hate for something to happen to either one of them. I'm sure there will be times we take her out though just not often. Haha they are both my daughters she picked them both and she better stay interested since we'll have them for along time if not then I guess their mine. My son does look at them and get big eyes and say no way alot so I'm assuming he'll be interested in them also as he gets older.

Yes I waited like 4 days after it molted to change it like I said I kept thinking it was going to get stuck so figured I'd just do a quick switch then the next day completely blocked off. I was just hoping from me switching it wouldn't affect it coming out for water. Now it has a normal hide and I guess I'll just waituntil it decides to come out. Thanks

awiec

Arachnoprince
As I said for a big T (I'm assuming you are talking about your rose hair) don't bother it for a week or two as it is recovering. And it blocked it off because its still recovering and does not want anything to bother it (in the wild it can keep out other insects).

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
No it's our l.parabahyba sling that molted. Thanks though I'm just going to let it be now that it's molted and all that I think I have everything I need to know about them. Between all the great information on here from everyone who responded and reading on here and everywhere else. I feel pretty confident now that I know what I'm doing

awiec

Arachnoprince
No it's our l.parabahyba sling that molted. Thanks though I'm just going to let it be now that it's molted and all that I think I have everything I need to know about them. Between all the great information on here from everyone who responded and reading on here and everywhere else. I feel pretty confident now that I know what I'm doing
Thats what I kinda thought but was not sure. It should be okay in a few more days as slings don't take long to harden up