Adivce on H. lividum set up.

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
I had it set up so it could burrow and it did which was fine but I had to demolish everything to get its molt and pictures and now am wondering if it would be ok to give it a standard terrestial set up with a hide and so it cant burrow?

Is there any negative reason why I shouldnt do this?

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
If it wants to burrow you should let it. It would be mighty stressed out if its not allowed but I don't know if there would be any kind of long term ill affects from it honestly. In the future if you don't want a T that burrows then don't get a burrowing species.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haplopelma are burrowing species. Allow them to burrow. Simple as that.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You don't need to dig up the molts. There would be only one real reason and that is to sex it, but you would only need to do it once.

Last edited:

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
You don't need to dig up the molts. There would be only one real reason and that is to sex it, but you would only need to do it once.
I know but I like to keep them and see how the T grows, there were also alot of bolus and getting mouldy smelly.

DeidraDisaster

Arachnopeon
My lividum dug a burrow after about three months of rehousing. Start your burrow near the side if you want to be able to see your T still but don't deprive her of her burrow!m Mine was very uncomfortable until she made her burrow.

chaco

Arachnosquire
give it burrowing space and say by by for months at a time thats what my last one did lol

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
When they see light they become possessed by the devil. Do not deprive them of their darkness! If you slip a black light or a dim redlight over a haplo tank and put it in your bedroom you can watch them excavate as you fall asleep. They do become pretty active in the middle of the night =P

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are obligate burrowers. To deny them the opportunity would be like trying to keep a fish out of water.

+1
The only times I have dug mine up was for rehousing or shipping. I don't pull molts or boluses. They are doing fine, no smell in their enclosures. I see both in their burrow entrances, or out and about nearly every evening.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Try to get a vertical enclosure, fill it up 3/4 of the way up, and make a starter burrow in a corner. That has worked very well for my obligate burrowers.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When they see light they become possessed by the devil. Do not deprive them of their darkness! If you slip a black light or a dim redlight over a haplo tank and put it in your bedroom you can watch them excavate as you fall asleep. They do become pretty active in the middle of the night =P
No, no, no! Tarantulas can only see light in the green part of the spectrum and the ultraviolet part of the spectrum. Using a black (ultraviolet) light on them is like putting you in a searchlight! Red is clearly best as long as the bulb isn't so hot as to harm them or desiccate the cage.

---------- Post added 07-01-2012 at 05:49 PM ----------

I had it set up so it could burrow and it did which was fine but I had to demolish everything to get its molt and pictures and now am wondering if it would be ok to give it a standard terrestial set up with a hide and so it cant burrow?

Is there any negative reason why I shouldnt do this?

These links might shed some additional light on your question.

Typical Substrate Question

Haplopelma lividum Keeps Climbing Tank

I Sear My Cobalt Blue Thinks Its Arboreal

To answer your question directly: A few of us have been able to keep H. lividum for extended periods of time without letting them burrow, but these were distinct exceptions to the rule, and none of us who did it have any good explanation for why our H. lividum lived while everybody else's died. One theory, as good as any, is that our tarantulas had not yet read the book! :laugh:

The basic rule is to set your H. lividum up in a burrower's cage and leave it alone. If you need to see and interact with your tarantula, or want to keep a series of its molted skins, try keeping one of the other tarantulas like Brachypelma smith (Mexican redknee tarantula) or Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose tarantula). These both have been called "pretty much bullet proof" and do well without being allowed a burrow. However, if you get a rose, you should read Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula first.

In the meantime, enjoy your little, blue, 8-legged, pet hole!