Adequate enclosure size while maximizing space?

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
I am well familiar with the 2 DLS wide and 3 DLS long (and equivalent for arboreal spiders) rule but am wondering if this is a hard and fast rule---if so, I've quite a few species that will be needing rather large enclosures as adults.
What is a more realistic rule for housing tarantulas adequately while also wanting to have as much space for as many specimens as possible?
What do some of you do for housing guidelines?

Most of my arachnids are still in the vial and deli-cup phase (and there's always room for more of those) but I *DO* live in a studio apartment so space is at a premium.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your best bet is going to be shelving and stackable enclosures. Check out the housing forum. There many threads of enclosures that are stackable. The DLS enclosure size is the Minimal size. Also when organizing enclosures make sure to leave room between enclosures for proper ventilation. I keep my tarantulas in my closet and I could most Likely fit about 60 enclosures in this space.

cold blood

Staff member
I feel size is directly related to the species in question, as well as the size of the spider. What's adequate for an adult avic, would be tight for a speedy Psalmo or poec. A brachy sling often does better with less space, but a sling like Phormic or Pamph could easily be housed in a significantly larger home both due to their speed and aggressive feeding nature.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arboreal enclosures tend to be more difficult to stack thanks to gravity and physics. Just something to keep in mind.