Acanthoscurria Genus Open Thread

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I love the Species, Acanthoscurria geniculata. It is such a cool species, both visually stunning and possessing very interesting behavior. I can’t even track the number of times that I've heard, or read posts from enthusiasts, stating along the lines, “Everyone should have an Acanthoscurria geniculata in their collection.“

I bit....I have 11 slings, and I love them all.

37831177-3C03-496B-A2DF-F1CD7B2DE65D.jpeg

The Acanthoscurria genus is surprising with the numbers of species. I’m familiar with only a few of them, but quite interested in the genus. And this thread is an informational thread on the genus. I'll be posting to this thread on the various species as I explore them and research the genus. Feel free to join, post images, and share with all of us your knowledge, your interest and your love of the Acanthoscurria genus.

Below is a list of the recognized species in the genus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a rather interesting post. I feel unfortunately you have been misinformed. I am here to help! Any serious T keeper is fully aware the mightiest T on the planet is H. chilensis. A true believer knows they will take over the planet, and inherit the Earth, despite their smaller stature.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I have been enamored be Acanthoscurria simoensi ever since I first laid eyes on it.

Unfortunately I've never seen one for sale and don't know much if anything about it.

Is it even in the hobby? If so how rare is it? How is it's behavior?

Any info would be amazing!

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have been enamored be Acanthoscurria simoensi ever since I first laid eyes on it.

Unfortunately I've never seen one for sale and don't know much if anything about it.

Is it even in the hobby? If so how rare is it? How is it's behavior?

Any info would be amazing!
Acanthoscurria simonoensi

What an incredibly beautiful Tarantula...I am going to love this thread. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Acanthoscurria simonoensi

What an incredibly beautiful Tarantula...I am going to love this thread. o_O
Pack our 🎒. To Brazil we go! Be back in 20 years after we have our 'old timer' tags and we've bred them! 😂

@viper69 must come with!!!

Woohoo!! JUST became an Arachnoknight! ⚔

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Nice thread, here are the links to the ones I've been keeping.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
March 18th, after ordering 10 Acanthoscurria geniculata slings just after Christmas, they finally arrive. Actually 10+1 arrive, the seller graciously threw in an extra sling. My 11 slings are showing me a lot about this species.

1C3D45DD-4A6D-42B0-96AB-70AF9702AD78.jpeg

They were a mix of sizes, from under 1/2” to over 1”. All were very stressed when transferred into their 4X4X4 AMAC boxes. These slings would continue to show stress poses for days, very slow to adjust to their new surroundings.

0BE87E53-ED7F-4269-940D-15CBBB6B17E6.jpeg

As stressed as they appeared, it took only hours before they started digging burrows into the substrate. Everyone of my A.geniculata slings had a burrow by the following morning. I was actually surprised by the amounts of substrate that even the smallest sling was capable of moving.

DED21019-A751-4D41-A5C4-4F96DA035079.jpeg

By the end of the first week, I found myself in the middle of a cascade of moultings. Seemed almost every day or so another sling was kicking an exuvia out of its burrow. For the smallest slings, growth after moulting was noticeable, but only just...those slings that were right around the 1” mark, showed the most notable growth after moulting.

DF7EC07A-E149-4959-B059-7D793794DD35.jpeg

With each moulting, their banding patterns became more and more distinct.

Behaviorally, they are pretty fossorial as tiny slings. Those slings that were 1/2” to under 1”, were rather reluctant to leave their burrows during the day, foraging in their enclosures mostly after sunset. Several had excavated fairly elaborate tunnel systems. I must say though that lately, I’m noticing more of them above ground and exploring their enclosures as I organize them for feedings, or just sit and observe them. All the slings are now 3/4” for the very smallest to 1.75” for the largest.

When their enclosures are disturbed, most Slings will quickly dart into their burrows. They move surprisingly quick when they want too. I have a couple Slings that are pushing 1.5” to 1.75”, they will either stand their ground, waiting for prey items, or linger at the entrance to the burrow.

As always, the feeding response of this species is very strong. I’ve already had my largest 2 slings attack their water dishes when I filled them...so I’ve learned to “feed first, water second”. I was actually surprised at all moulting that occurred shortly after I received them, because they were all actively feeding on prey items, none had refused food.

Last edited:

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I, unfortunately, only have one of these (A.geniculata) and it has gone through a couple mini personality shifts in it's couple molts with me.

Extremely stressed when I first got it . Then it had a huge excavating phase and was super skittish - would bolt every time you even see it. After next molt it became my boldest Tarantula lol. It would quickly dart toward any movement/shadow/motion. Very forward . Even with food in its mouth it's out and trying to hunt while I do water bowl maintenance . Sometimes drops food to come running over to investigate if there is perhaps MORE food. I have to cut it off manually when it's too fat , it will still try to eat in premolt . Cracks me up when I bump side of enclosure it comes running over lol. Interested to see how it acts when larger lol

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I, unfortunately, only have one of these (A.geniculata) and it has gone through a couple mini personality shifts in it's couple molts with me.

Extremely stressed when I first got it . Then it had a huge excavating phase and was super skittish - would bolt every time you even see it. After next molt it became my boldest Tarantula lol. It would quickly dart toward any movement/shadow/motion. Very forward . Even with food in its mouth it's out and trying to hunt while I do water bowl maintenance . Sometimes drops food to come running over to investigate if there is perhaps MORE food. I have to cut it off manually when it's too fat , it will still try to eat in premolt . Cracks me up when I bump side of enclosure it comes running over lol. Interested to see how it acts when larger lol
OMG...yes I'm seeing that as well...I was just posting about this in the previous post. That is so cool to know that others are seeing this behavior in their slings as well. As they get bigger, they get bolder...Very cool.

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I am immensely regretting only buying one. Mine is male too but I plan to pick more up next round because it's one of my favorite spiders by far lol

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I love brazilian ones. From the crazy the Geniculata to the docile Pulchra. Beautiful species.

Here my two cents

Of course: Acanthoscurria Geniculata

IMG_20200414_151500.jpg

And then buldozer: Grammostola Pulchra

IMG_20200522_175123.jpg

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'll key you guys in with MY genic's story

Have him for 2+ weeks. Didn't have to travel. Bought it from a Walmart parking lot from a local breeder and almost got stopped by the po-po as a hand to hand transaction between 2 guys with beards and tattoos doesn't look too great lmao!

Only stress pose I ever saw from it was when I got it in the souffle cup. Other then that, the 2x I had to work in its enclosure for some minutes, it will timidly go up to the corner and sit there. Never bolted yet, but I think it will build up the courage soon as its putting on size super quick.

Doesn't let the crix hit the ground. Should the crix "landing pad" be a piece of moss...it attacks the moss as well then sorts it out later!

Its never escavated or used its hide which is actually a damn nice one but that means its always on display, but molted soon before I got it so Idk what it will do in premolt.

P.S. it hasn't attacked water yet but did take a substrate bath lolol!

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
At what size would you say genics could be moult sexed without a 'scope?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
At what size would you say genics could be moult sexed without a 'scope?
I've got about 3 or 4 A.geniculata slings that are acting like a moult is coming. I need to break down and start going through all my slings and sexing them, and picking my keepers. I went out and bought a small digital scope that I can hookup to a computer...and I can capture images, and post images.

I've heard that Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens can be sexed as small as 1”, using a scope. Once they hit 2”+/-, if you have good eyes, you should be able to sex a sling.

Hi
The spermathecae and uterus externus on A genics is quite big and visible.So arround 2 inch should not be a problem at all.
20200328_115503.jpg
Here is example of my 6 inch female.
Its huge .lol
Regards Konstantin

Hi
This moult is a bit too wet.Sometimes spermathecae and uterus externus stick to the rest of the exo making them invisible in smaller Ts(I almost sexed my 2.5 inch Pamphobeteus sp Costa as a male and 30 min later when moult dry up a bit I clearly saw the uterus externus sticking out that is present only in females).Ideally when sexing you want it a bit more dry after you strech it and on the smaller specimens if you put your finger under it and gently strech it the spermathecae and uterus externus will stick right up no matter how small they are.This is a trick I learned from a fellow T keeper with more experience.
Regards Konstantin

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Acanthoscurria geniculata Growth Data

My A.geniculata slings arrived some months ago, and I put them into 4X4X4 AMAC boxes

47EA7ADB-4E4B-42A4-A909-54AB7025DA1D.jpeg

I keep all my slings in a temperature regulated cabinet, set at 79 degrees. I feed all my slings twice a week. Everything is consistent, I keep track of moulting dates, and estimated sizes of slings following moults. I also keep track of the sizes of prey items fed to slings.

I can say this: If I feed smaller sized prey items to my slings, they seem to moult the same as other slings, within the same time frame. But their premoult seems to be shortened by a few days.

For slings that I consistently feed larger, or even much larger prey items, their premoult is longer by a few days, or by more than a week, for slings that were feeding on much larger prey items.

Slings, in general, seem to be able to recover quickly following moulting.

0BA0C557-3092-4FEF-A1F9-EC0BD1CBD8DB.jpeg

When I ordered the slings, I was expecting the slings to all be right around the 1” mark. Unfortunately, the slings arrived in such varying sizes that I probably will not able to use the data from this group to determine how effective my system is at growing out A.geniculata slings.

D8B503DA-F711-4052-BB11-E4317E7E40DD.jpeg

Within my group of A.geniculata slings, I have a subset that are large, another that is medium, and some that are small...taken as a whole, the groups are way to small a data set to be usable. Even 10+1 was on the small side.

1A4EFAB3-0789-4D9B-9919-82528580BD0F.jpeg

But not all is lost...I think I can still use what I’ve got to determine general trends In raising slings...so the data from all my slings will be taken as a larger group. Not as definitive, it would have been nice to have generated significant usable information on this species right out of the gate, but better than nothing. I’ll have groups of A.geniculata slings again in the future, either my own or ordered in...

A7B603D7-1B33-4B48-BEA4-1978F01664BC.jpeg

Last edited: