Acanthoscurria geniculata - doesn't want to breed

eagle-eagle

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have an adult female (more than 8cm of body lenght). She has moulted last time about 1.5 months ago. Has eaten three Blaptica gigantea and doesn't want more. I have also an adult male. He has moulted last time about three-four weeks ago. Has eaten one B. gigantea. Today I saw him filling his boulbuses.

I have tried to breed them four times and nothing happend! Why? Female isn't agressive - she doesn't react for male. Male doesn't want to breed too. He do nothing or when I touch him or her, they getting away...

How to make them breeding? Thanks for help.

bokgrasul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's exactly what happened to me, with the same species!
She was too far away in the moltig cycle, so she isn't accepting any male.
She wasn't beating him , but was absolutely not interested in him....she just some times when he was too insistent , she just turns her back to him...
I left them toghether for a whole night once, and nothing happened.....
He died eventualy, unhappy, and after a week she molted....
She's now very big and pretty and next week a new male will come to visit!
All this happened just a month ago.....

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is this the first time for breeding them? I've had this happen, but only after they've been bred once. I assumed the female wasn't interested because the first time it took, and she wasn't giving off any 'sent or whatever they use' so the male wasn't attracted to her anymore. Just a thought.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long did you leave them togeather? Make sure there are no other distractions in the area (fan, loud base), maybe decrease the light a little to "set the mood".

Or try swaping webing. How long ago did he molt out? Is he drumming in his house at all?

Wait are you sure he is mature? I don't see any hooks, could just be the angle though.

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I sent out a mature male for breeding and the person who has him was haveing this same thing happen with his female. After consulting with some of the more well know breeders they gave him the advice to cool the female down for a couple of days. He placed her in an area that was around 60-65 degrees if I recall right for a few days and attempted to mate them again. On this attempt there was what appeared to be a successful breeding. Make be worth looking into.

eagle-eagle

Arachnopeon
she moulted 1.5 months ago so I don't expected next moult. Male is 100% adult. Have boulbuses and gabs. Only what I could do is try with low temperature like your friend. thanks

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is there a possibility that you have a mm A brocklehursti there instead of a genic?

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is there a possibility that you have a mm A brocklehursti there instead of a genic?
Agreed. A. brocklehursti.
looks like A. geniculata before its final molt, looks different after (loses much of the leg striping).

A. brocklehursti isn't too rare... i think several batches were floatin' round europe 1-2 years ago. (I hope i'm not just lumping your country, Poland, with the rest of Europe!)

I'd be very wary of breeding these two.

Freya

Arachnopeon
I have seen an A. brocklehursti male in person recently and yours (in the photo) is clearly A. geniculata.

I also had problems mating them. The female has shown a very little interest, or was escaping from the large male. Then, after several weeks of unsuccesful attempts, she started drumming at the male like there was no tomorrow and they mated :eek:

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Freya,
would you be able to describe the difference between the mature males of the two species?

I recently encountered a mature male that was supposed to be A. geniculata, but I turned it down for breeding, as I thought it was possibly A. brocklehursti.
It looked almost identical to the one pictured in this thread.

I would LOVE to be wrong :):)

Freya

Arachnopeon
Freya,
would you be able to describe the difference between the mature males of the two species?
As you already said above, A. brocklehursti males lose a lot of the white striping on legs. I always thought they were hard to distinguish, but the male I saw had only very thin white stripes, nowhere near as thick as geniculata males. I managed to find a photo of a male that looks very similar to the one I saw: A. brocklehursti male

The males can also be distinguished by the shape of embolus, but that's not very practical with living spiders :)

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been having trouble with this species aswell. I have 0.1 7.5", 0.1 6.5", and 1.0 MM 6". The big girl molted two months ago, the smaller girl just molted yesterday. My males ultimate molt was 5weeks ago, he has been making sperm webs like crazy. He and the big girl have been drumming/vibrating back and forth ever since I got him. Problem is that whenever I introduce them she's very interested and he'll have second thoughts and take off out of there. Im not to sure whats going on with them, this is my second MM within a year that has failed to breed these girls, the first one was old though, perhaps this new guy will go for my freshly molted smaller female. I know if I was going to die in afew months I dont think I'd be so picky;P

Freya

Arachnopeon
Look again:
and? Sure now?
Yep, I have an A. geniculata male over here and this is exactly how he looks, so I'm pretty sure. If the female isn't interested, that doesn't mean the male is brocklehursti ;)

Has the male already been bred with another female? If not, he may just be shy... Last year I had a geniculata male who was making two sperm webs a week, but he never figured out what to do when he meets a female :wall: The one I have now was the same, but then he found out and now he's absolutely confident :)

Anyway, if you need to approve the geniculata/brocklehursti thing, you can always check the embolus: http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=8382