User AbraxasComplex's Invert and Vivarium Picture Thread

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I decided to take a picture of my Holothele incei tank.

My windows kept reflecting off the tank and obscuring half of it, so I had to angle the photo. Also I didn't use flash due to the reflection on the glass as well so you cannot see the background.

The orange substance on the substrate is shredded carrot. That is thrown in once a week to deter feeder bugs from munching on the plants and baby tarantulas.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool tank. What type of substrate do you use in those setups? Would coco-fiber work with live plants?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool tank. What type of substrate do you use in those setups? Would coco-fiber work with live plants?

I mix cocofiber, peat moss, top soil, earthworm casings, sand, and leaf litter/moss.

Coco fiber only works for a limited amount of time. You need dynamic, active soil.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting. Looks like I'm going to have to get a few items before it comes time to rehouse some of my pokies. Thanks for the help. :)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My only solitary tarantula that I bring to shows to promote tarantulas.

Grammostola rosea "Red Colour Form"

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have to agree with everyone else, very nicely done! any chance for some updated full tank shots of the various Heterothele sp.? don't make me beg, but I will if I have to.

Sundan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice setups and spiders, i especially liked the bumblebee's and the rosea is incredible,and the Balfouri is stunning and ..... Crap i love it all :D

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do the detritivores eat all the waste and such? Me personally change the bedding every 3 months, but if I were to introduce snails and other detritivores would this prevent changing the bedding? My main concern with bedding change is stressing out the T..

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do the detritivores eat all the waste and such? Me personally change the bedding every 3 months, but if I were to introduce snails and other detritivores would this prevent changing the bedding? My main concern with bedding change is stressing out the T..

Yes they do. I never change the bedding in my tanks and some have been running for 3+ years now. Red wiggler worms work great as well.

Anyway, I just reorganized my closet and got some 10 gallon tanks and glass lids custom built. The bottom frame on each tank is a different style than the top which caused the tank to expand upwards slightly and makes the shelf look like it's caving in towards the middle. Either way all 6 only cost me 1 tarantula in a trade.

All these tanks are social setups. From top left to bottom right I have housed: Holothele incei, Holothele incei "Gold", Holothele sp. Colombia (Bumblebee), Oligoxystre sp. Atlantic Forest Brazil, Heterothele gabonensis, and Hemiercus sp. Venezuela "Red"/Monocentropus balfouri.

There are other species with eggsacs or MM in the smaller containers on the top shelf.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you are my hero!!!!

Awesome...pure awesome! Keep it up.

Also are there any updates on your "chicken spiders"? I have been keeping tabs on that as well.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you are my hero!!!!

Awesome...pure awesome! Keep it up.

Also are there any updates on your "chicken spiders"? I have been keeping tabs on that as well.

No major updates, but one female I paired up has increased in size substantially. I hope she's gravid. :D

And as a note, all these tanks are just basic for me. And all of them are twin colonies of bigger tanks and vases in my room. I am keeping these ones to supplement my income by selling offspring as well as to have a back up in case one colony crashes. Also the Holothele incei tank is a separate bloodline from the colony in my room. I plan to transfer MM from this one into the 3 year old one I have on display.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey AC where did you get all your detritivores from?
I collected most myself from outside and bred them over the years. The Red Wigglers though can be purchased from composting companies or eco stores. You can sometimes find suppliers online in your area.

Also one species that I have was found in one of the potted plants I purchased.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I redid the Chicken Spider tank after I moved across the country (only 13 hour straight UHAUL drive through rain, snow, and sleet on the tight, curving roads of the Rocky Mountains, no big).

Before I moved from Calgary I removed everything and used a black grout and sponge to texturize the back. I am more pleased with the results now. On arrival in Vancouver, I maximized floor space, added some moss, and used a lot more leaf litter than before. Over the next few weeks the leaf litter should degrade to the point I want it and make a more compact, easily walkable surface for the CS. The 9 in here actually come out a little more often than before.

Thankfully Vancouver has had a pesticide ban for the last 5 years so I have introduced about 60 or so pillbugs as the new driving force behind my clean up crew in my tank. You always see a few since they are constantly grooming the moss or resting in the leaf littler.

With no further adieu, here are the horrible pictures taken with the awful camera I have still not replaced.

Full Tank:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Internal shots:

Broms and moss:

More Broms and ferns:

Broms and Burrow:

Oh NOOOOOO!!! Mushrooms! Better tear a part the tank and sterilize everything... start from scratch. :rolleyes:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been wanting to set up a nice Vivarium for some Dendro's I have been looking into getting for a year however, I always felt intimidated by it since I don't really know anything about plants or anything of the sort. However your pictures have inspired me. Thank you.