About my t this time

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Hello out there!
I just need to know, do tarantulas get really really defensive if they are dying? Sounds like a stupid question but my t (a Costa Rican zebra blue) just moulted yesterday. I looked in her cage and saw she was in what looked like a death curl. So I freaked out and tried to see if she would move and she did. Only it wasn't a weak, staggering motion, it was quick and she immediately went into a defensive position. I was still worried so I wet down her cage, gave her plenty of water and moved the cage to a warmer climate by placing a sort of heating pad under her cage. Left her alone for a while and she seemed to get better. But after several hours I came back to check on her and I found her in the same position again. I tried to see if she would move and she did. Reacted the same way before only more aggressive. I thought the heating pad was too hot so I moved her cage back into my room, (which is room temperature). She still has plenty of water but now I am just worried for her. Her moult was flawless, a little juicer than normal but completed and nothing missing. I understand she could be dehydrated, but she has plenty of water. Am I over reacting? Or is she in real danger? Love some feedback.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Please stop using the heating pad. Room temperature is fine and the only thing that will do is dehydrate her when she is already dehydrated.
Could you please provide a photo of the setup and the tarantula in what you're referring to as a death curl?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
And stop annoying her. If there is something wrong, pestering her won't help. But without seeing her I'm guessing what she is doing is what's known as "Tarantula Yoga". This a cute term for the odd poses, including curling their legs, that all T's do after molting. It's perfectly normal and will go on for several days, a week even.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Stop bothering her! Right after a moult they can be seen in the weirdest positions, disturbing her all the time might be harmful while she's still hardening up.