A. Versicolor issue

Grin

Arachnoknight
Hello, around 3 days ago i was woke up to find my moms versicolor having a small issue at first. From what she said she looked to be molting in her web and while she was cleaning the living room checking upon her she noticed she was slowly sliding down the web until she fell at the choke point at the end of her web and struggle. When i seen, from my personal opinion she wouldnt have been able to molt or even pop her carapace top off so i took the container and turned it on the side to gently cut the web open and left her for awhile. Couple hours pass and nothing has progress,but shes still moving her legs around a lot so i made the personal decision to place her i an ICU. It's been 3 days and she's still alive and no molt, just barely moving since the night. I woke up this morning to find she pooped on the paper towel and still barely moving.

Now the thing is shes a juvi, and not to long ago molted out. So it seemed a it off it would be now. Her humidity is keep up but not overly soaked and cross ventilation.
She was fed about 2 weeks ago, and no chemicals were used around her. The rest of the collection is fine, i'm just thinking it might be something internally happening that im not fully aware of.
Guess i'm just trying to seek a big of light o this situation and figure out whats going on.
I would hate to see this little girl go as she is still hanging on to life. She was a gift to my mother about 2 years ago for valentines day and just enjoys her.

Thanks.
Image below
http://prntscr.com/60rm0c

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More than likely, it is too much humidity. A water bowl is ALL Avicularia need, if you don't want to give them a water bowl, mist, nothing special. Just a few drops on the web will do the trick.

Grin

Arachnoknight
More than likely, it is too much humidity. A water bowl is ALL Avicularia need, if you don't want to give them a water bowl, mist, nothing special. Just a few drops on the web will do the trick.
Never had humidity issue with any of them before. no water dishes are kept in them. Her substrate is kept moist a mixture of peat and coco and kept sprayed on the side around once a week.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Post the setup, I'd go with humidity too. I keep my Avicularia sp. bone dry only adding drops of water to the web when in premolt, otherwise they get all the moisture they need from the feeders.

Grin

Arachnoknight
I spoke with a person, and they brought up the topic of weather and possible cold shock.
The weather here in michigan has been dropping and snowing alot and when the doors open with the cold breezes.

I'll keep an eye on here and keep the thread updated.

and heres the enclosure http://prntscr.com/60s5q5

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Mm, could be cold. Put her in a room where you can crank the heat up. But also, it's hard to see what your cross ventilation is in that picture. Holes on the lid don't really do much. Cross ventilation is key. Can you post a side view?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I don't really see any cross ventilation, I would also let the substrate dry out.

cold blood

Staff member
Yup, less ventilation on the lid (it destroys the micro climate of the enclosure) and more on the sides....I also fail to see any cross ventilation. Keep that sub dry and start using a water dish.

If you are keeping the t next to a door, or near enough that its catching a draft, it MUST be moved. There isn't a t on the planet that wouldn't be adversely effected by cold drafts. I live in WI, same weather, if its in a proper location in the house the outside cold should not be an issue.

Avic enclosures with too much added moisture and not enough cross ventilation can be a death trap....just because it hasn't been an issue in the past does not mean its not the issue now. The way you are adding moisture is walking a fine line, be off even a little and the t will suffer...its why most of us strongly recommend utilizing a water dish....it simplifies everything and takes the guess work out of cage conditions.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with cold blood. Why is your house cold? It's -1 in Orchard Park, NY, but it's 78 in my room. I dont think there's anything wrong with your substrate. Just make sure to add some cross ventilation. I've never lost an avicularia sp. due too much humidity. I've only lost avicularia due to the lack of humidity and bone dry substrate. My friend's urtican who laid our sac was kept on wet substrate. Now we have super heathly second instars.

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 08:07 PM ----------

My incubator that I use is all humidity and I haven't lost any avicularia sp. Molting from ewls to 2nd.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yes in my A. versicolor enclosure, I use a bottle cap for a water dish and drip water onto the sub every few days lightly, but I don't soak a spot or anything. More like a few 'raindrops'.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Sounds like it had to abort a molt perhaps...I can imagine that would require some serious sub-cellular gymnastics on the spider's part. I sincerely hope she(?) survives this challenge, whatever it is. Beautiful picture, really beautiful. These guys are so stunning.

Grin

Arachnoknight
Shes been in the same container for about 5 months and nothing has changed how she was kept or any different from the others that require humidity. I don'y bother with water dishes , only very few of my larger species have them. Majority of the time they just get buried so i don't bother. But her humidity was fine inside the substrate stays damp, not even soaked at all and the house stays around 75F.
She was perfectly fine walking about her enclosure hours before we noticed she had even flipped over.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Cold Blood, You sir truly are a Genius! :) I have all of my ventilation on the side of my enclosures, that seems enough to work. Heat rises to the top so and sometimes there's condensation up there which allows my T's to drink.

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 07:26 AM ----------

Had no idea that was possible!! :0 lol, good to know.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
One additional thing: That corkbark piece in there is what...2"-3" high? The enclosure looks like twice or more than that. Every.Single.Avic. will web at the top - it's best to give them something in the middle that spreads to the sides to anchor webbing onto. I'd use a bigger corkbark piece for example, or multiple bamboo sticks leaned to each (different) side work too.